REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Outcast Trinity & Fish Cat 5

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Outcast Trinity & Fish Cat 5

Postby Benny » May 31st, 2017, 6:38 pm

Okay, I have not got on the water with either float tube both are brand spanking new. Wanted to compare both side by side for anyone looking to buy any of these float tubes.

Outcast Trinity

Outcast Fish Cat 5 Max

Both float tubes side by side.

Price $299.00 Ebay
Outcast Trinity 7lbs is way lighter and the perfect choice for backcountry lakes if you must carry a float tube. The air valves can be inflated by mouth if need be, I used a pump and it was inflated super fast. Seat is also inflatable, two chambers, back rest and seat. Tubes are just a little shorter and diameter is 13". The part I don't like is deflating all the chambers and trying to squeeze out all the air. Comfort wise I do prefer the foam seat and back over the inflatable, but that is just personal preference. If I was hiking into the backcountry with a tube the Trinity would be my choice just 'cause it breaks down so small and weighs very little compared to the Fish Cat 5 Max.

Price $224.88 on Sale
Fish Cat 5 Max 15.5lbs is a big float tube for big guys or smaller guys who like a more comfortable ride with a wider seat. Inflates fairly fast, took a little longer than the Trinity, but not by much. Tube diameter is 12.5". Deflating is super easy as you just unscrew the valves and all the air comes out instantly. The seat and backrest are both foam and make the float tube heavier and takes up more room to store. Where the Trinity can be stored under my back seat. If you have a truck it's not a big deal, but someone with a smaller car should consider the inflatable seat for easier storage. It has huge storage pockets for lots of gear. I could fit my big Canon DSLR in these pockets and they keep things dry. Never had any issues with things getting wet in the pockets. If I had only one choice between these two float tubes, the Fish Cat Max would be it just 'cause I will sit higher in the water and be more comfortable in the wide seating area.

Both have there place and I am fortunate to own both float tubes, each has it's pros and cons. Both hold 300lbs according to the specs. The spec show the Trinity as having lager diameter tubes but to the eye it looks like the Fish Cat 5 Max has larger tubes. Might be the colors that make it look bigger. It's all up to the angler to decide which is best suited for his or her needs. Hope this helps anyone looking into getting a float tube and didn't just confuse you more.
Benny

Re: Outcast Trinity & Fish Cat 5

Postby DrCreek » June 1st, 2017, 11:15 am

So, I have both as well - more or less. My FishCat is the 4 Deluxe version. My primary reason for buying the Deluxe was to have a second float tube at the ready for both myself, as well as any one of our forum brothers coming to SD to fish that might not have one. What convinced me to buy it were these reasons... One, it appeared to be a sturdier boat - heavier, more material to puncture through in case I rubbed up against a bunch of clams on a post or dock. Two, because of the inflatable seats. Four separate air chambers just makes me feel a greater sense of staying afloat in case of a single or double chamber failure.

The Trinity, I love. It was my first boat, and was Richards recommendation. He uses a Trinity. And if he's doing it, it must be right. And I can carry it like it weighs nothing. That being said though, I spend 95% of my water time in the FishCat, again because of the aforementioned reasons - sense of security being the primary.

My question to you Benny is, when are you coming down to christen them in the SD Bay? :bananadance:
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Benny » June 1st, 2017, 12:05 pm

DrCreek wrote:My question to you Benny is, when are you coming down to christen them in the SD Bay? :bananadance:

Let me know what days you're likely to be on the water. I'll try and set up a day on when to head South to SD Bay to join you on the water. I'm always reading up on your your adventures on the water and itching to head over to the Bay.
Benny

Postby DrCreek » June 1st, 2017, 1:04 pm

Next Wednesday and Thursday I have off...and the tide should be pretty good on the upswing. Richard and I usually fish together, and I'm hoping his knee is good enough to go by then. Those days would be ideal just because of the tide - and because having Richard's knowledge at hand is priceless. And if you decide to, let me know if you need anything to complete your ensemble - :bananadance: - especially a PFD.

DrCreek

Postby briansII » June 1st, 2017, 4:52 pm

Great side by side comparison. Very helpful for those shopping for a new tube.

briansII
briansII

Postby rkfiske » June 2nd, 2017, 1:27 pm

I noticed while out fishing with Chris and Creek the other day that the newer Trinity tubes have that nice prow shape on the front, but mine looks weird and flatter. Can anyone with an older model chime in on that? Are my tubes just shifted?
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby DrCreek » June 2nd, 2017, 5:02 pm

rkfiske wrote:I noticed while out fishing with Chris and Creek the other day that the newer Trinity tubes have that nice prow shape on the front, but mine looks weird and flatter. Can anyone with an older model chime in on that? Are my tubes just shifted?

I thought about that very thing when I saw yours and Stanberys tubes. I'm wondering if the tie strap (the one that joins both tubes) has to be tighter? If your seat is secured with velcro, maybe the position of the velcro when attaching and aligning the seat is important? I took my seat assembly completely off when I had to find and repair that hole I got from a Spotty spine. When I put it back together, I thought about how the velcro placement would/might affect the height of the seat, and how it might affect the "roll" appearance of the tube when weight sits in it. TONS of possibilities here !!

DrCreek

Return to Gear Review