REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Car Camping: Shower, Wash, Rinse, etc.

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Car Camping: Shower, Wash, Rinse, etc.

Postby flybob » February 9th, 2016, 11:27 am

My son bought me one of these for Christmas, I took it up to the LO for Curtis's Party.
I just have to say, this thing is amazing, I filled it up at home, and when I cam back after 4 days, it still had about a half gallon left in it.

Kept my boots and waders clean, made washing the Chili Pot a breeze, and I did not have to use my drinking/cooking water! Leave it in the sun for a couple of hours and the water gets hot.
The only problem was that I left it out at night and on the last morning it was 24 degrees!
The water in the bladder was fine, but it was frozen in the hose, this can easily be fixed by putting some insulating material in the lid/stowage compartment.

Anyway, it will now be part of my travel gear!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: Car Camping: Shower, Wash, Rinse, etc.

Postby briansII » February 9th, 2016, 12:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up Bob. I like it. I now use a Sun Shower bag for car camping, but this looks like it will work a lot better. Question. I noticed on the website that the container is insulated. How warm does the water get when you leave it in the sun? I like a warm rinse at the end of the day, and my Sun Shower bag did an ok job of heating water, but water pressure sucked.

briansII
briansII

Postby FIGHTONSC » February 9th, 2016, 12:29 pm

Wow Bob, no more muddy waders or dogs!

Great tool!

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby RichardCullip » February 9th, 2016, 4:16 pm

I got the same RinseKit for Christmas. I'll be using it to rinse sand off following surf fishing sessions. Especially useful now that most SD public beach showers are turned off to conserve water due to the drought. Looks like it might get it's test run tomorrow (Weds) morning.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Papasequoia » February 9th, 2016, 4:35 pm

Pretty sweet, but looks like it takes up a lot of room too - a consideration if you are on a long trip or sleeping in the back of the car. That's why I like the sun shower - you can just roll it up when traveling. If it's cold or cloudy and I want it warmer I just boil a couple of quarts of water and add them to the cold water.
However, this looks like a sweet machine - especially for a use like Richard mentioned or for a short trip like the one you took to the LO.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby duckdog » February 10th, 2016, 9:53 am

Anyone out there ever had their dog roll in cow poo or some other fowl ,dead thing while visiting the east side ? I am getting one of these little gems. Thanks Bob. Normally I carry a 5 gallon water can to rinse off my self and the little beasts. This looks much better.
duckdog

Postby flybob » February 10th, 2016, 10:34 am

So, apparently my son used me as a guinea pig, LOL!
He desperately wanted to know how well it worked, because HE was considering one for his surfing and snowboarding excursions, he was just not ready to commit. I think he already bought his.

briansII wrote:Thanks for the heads up Bob. I like it. I now use a Sun Shower bag for car camping, but this looks like it will work a lot better. Question. I noticed on the website that the container is insulated. How warm does the water get when you leave it in the sun? I like a warm rinse at the end of the day, and my Sun Shower bag did an ok job of heating water, but water pressure sucked.

briansII

Brian, I do not know what the temp was, but I left it in the sun for about 5 hours and the water was warm enough that your boys wont shrivel up!

RichardCullip wrote:I got the same RinseKit for Christmas. I'll be using it to rinse sand off following surf fishing sessions. Especially useful now that most SD public beach showers are turned off to conserve water due to the drought. Looks like it might get it's test run tomorrow (Weds) morning.

Richard, let us know how it worked for you.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby RichardCullip » February 10th, 2016, 10:55 am

Bob - the RinseKit did it's job this morning. What a great tool for rinsing sand off of legs, booties and feet when I finished up a surf fishing session. I'm very happy with it's performance. Was nice to have some water under pressure to clean up with after surf fishing. Sure beat my previous solution which was a big bottle of water to pour down my legs and feet. My only complaints was that there were no fish to play with. That wasn't the RinseKit's fault.......
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby briansII » February 10th, 2016, 11:21 am

flybob wrote:Brian, I do not know what the temp was, but I left in in the sun for about 5 hours and the water was warm enough that your boys wont shrivel up!

That's a big plus! :mrgreen: On the site it says they plan to add a water heater accessory. Just plug into your car AC adapter and it will heat the water in the tank. I think I'm sold.

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » February 10th, 2016, 5:09 pm

briansII wrote:
flybob wrote:Brian, I do not know what the temp was, but I left in in the sun for about 5 hours and the water was warm enough that your boys wont shrivel up!

That's a big plus! :mrgreen: On the site it says they plan to add a water heater accessory. Just plug into your car AC adapter and it will heat the water in the tank. I think I'm sold.

briansII

Now if they add that it would really be the cat's meow. I hate washing off in cold water and it appears this would be a nice car camping/road camping item that would make a nice addition to the gear stash.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby dray » February 10th, 2016, 6:41 pm

Cool thanks for the pro tip
dray

Postby darrin terry » February 10th, 2016, 8:49 pm

duckdog wrote:Anyone out there ever had their dog roll in cow poo or some other fowl ,dead thing while visiting the east side ? I am getting one of these little gems. Thanks Bob. Normally I carry a 5 gallon water can to rinse off my self and the little beasts. This looks much better.

My last dog did not do that, but my roommate back then, his dog was uncle to mine. His dog, Vinnie, would without fail, find the wettest, greenest, gooiest, cow pie within a mile of camp anywhere we were in the Sierra, and drive his shoulders into the pile and along the ground for several feet. You know, to get it all the way to his skin through the fur. Then he'd look up at us, tongue hanging out, apparently the happiest he'd ever been short of playing in snow. He did this every time he could. If no freshies were to be found we would often see him trying his best to make it work the drier variety. Loved that dog in spite of it, but boy howdy did he like the nastiest things.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby duckdog » February 11th, 2016, 9:51 am

Yep Darrin, I don't know whats going thru their heads but they sure look proud of themselves after a good roll in something foul. My current pup Lucy has not given me the pleasure of that yet, but we are just starting out on our journey together. I'm sure she will get around to that one. I was up at the lower O a few weeks ago and was getting into my waders when another fisherman pulled up and started gearing up . His dog came over and started snooping around. Now there was a particularly foul looking brown spot nearby . I had kept Lucy away from it , but snoopy pooch found it and just dug his head and shoulder into it, he really liked that area of brown goo. I tried to talk some sense into him ," hey buddy, that's not such a good thing to do, dad's not going to be happy" but that didn't slow him down so I ratted him out and told his owner that sparky was into something icky. Clean up on isle 9 . Rinsekit.
duckdog

Postby Bernard » February 11th, 2016, 1:10 pm

Maaaaan - This thing is HIGH on my "I want I want" list. A few months back, Al Q had one when we hit the surf and I was blown away. He wrote about it on his blog. Let me look ... ahhh here it is: https://alquattrocchi.wordpress.com/2015/07/31/portable-shower-qtip/.
I'm also thinking of using it to help keep a balcony clean that is far from hose access etc.
Nice post.
B
Bernard

Postby Fishfreak911 » February 13th, 2016, 4:59 am

That's pretty sweet Bob. What pressurizes it? If I had to guess, you mentioned a bladder, so it's probably like filling up a water balloon.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Next

Return to Gear Review