REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Biscuits and Gravy at 11,000 feet!

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Biscuits and Gravy at 11,000 feet!

Postby flybob » July 11th, 2015, 4:18 pm

Yesiree BOB!

So, on Father's Day, I open my gift bag and find one of these!

What the HEY?
Mrs. Flybob had been shopping for my backpacking food and found them, they have been on the market for about a year, but I knew nothing of them.....she thought it would be a change of pace from my oatmeal, and the MH Scrambled Eggs with Bacon....SHE WAS RIGHT!

I am a B&G aficionado, and these are not bad for "just add boiling water"!
I left them plain, next time, I will add some pepper and Tabasco, just the way I like them.
I was so excited about them, I ran around camp encouraging everyone to take a taste!

I followed the directions and, after leaving them wrapped up in my sleeping bag for a bout 30 minutes, (I always let my FD food sit for twice as long as prescribed), the sausage bits were tender and spicy, and the biscuit chunks were wet on the outside and warm and soft on the inside, just the way they should be, and the gravy was nice and thick, and stayed thick to the last spoonful.

The package says it serves two, but I am guessing if you are on a diet, up at 11,000ft, you need all the calories you can handle just to breath!

I plan on putting a couple of these in my emergency food kit!

So there you go.....when you can't carry the camp cook with you......
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: Biscuits and Gravy at 11,000 feet!

Postby clee » July 11th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Had those on my last backpacking trip definitely will buy again. Surprisingly those actually have the texture and internal dryness like B&G. I feared they would be a glutinous mess but they are not. As with all Mountain House products I never follow the directions on the label. I only use half the recommended amount of water otherwise you eat watered down soup. Or you wait thirty minutes like you but I have no patience for that.
clee

Postby flybob » July 11th, 2015, 7:10 pm

clee wrote: Or you wait thirty minutes like you but I have no patience for that.

Clee, at supper time, I prepare my meal, keep it warm in my sleeping bag or wrapped in my fleece, and then have a martini during the wait.....at breakfast, it is a big cup of coffee.
And, at 11,000 ft, there is no point in HURRY....LOL!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Gary C. » July 12th, 2015, 5:13 pm

I've had them and yes they are really good. The price isn't too bad either. You mentioned adding pepper and tabasco. I've started carrying smoked pepper on my trips and it really seems to go well in the woods. My wife has even been using it quite a lot in the kitchen at home, it's not cheap tho. Always thinking dual purpose I use my stocking cap for a cozy.
Gary C.

Return to Gear Review