REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Costa Corbina 580G Optics

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Postby Benny » April 1st, 2015, 9:26 pm

Just recently purchased the Costa Corbina optics. Note that these are my first pair of expensive optics for fishing. I usually go to the off the rack pair of polarized glasses that sell for way cheaper.

My review on the Costa Corbina's 580G.

Total Price: $182.95 from Amazon + I got free shipping

These glasses are like everyone says... Everything is incredibly vivid! The glasses are much heavier than my off the rack glasses that I've bought in the past. That is to be expected due to the fact that I went with the 580G lens instead of plastic. They fit nicely on my big head. I thought that even at $182.95 they were pretty pricey, but that's better than paying full retail at $249.00. This is what I took into consideration with the price though, every pair of Costa optics include a lifetime warranty. The glass lenses have the greatest clarity and are more scratch resistant than the plastic lenses. I like the light weight of my cheap glasses, but it's just a matter of getting used to wearing the Costa's in my opinion. It's like wearing a new pair of shoes, you have to get use to that new feeling.

Overall, build is heavy duty compared to the cheap of the rack glasses. Everything does look way clearer and super vivid. I went with the blue mirror 580G. I also bought the Costa Del Mar C-Line retainer so I don't lose the very expensive pair of optics. I'm happy ;)
Benny

Re: Costa Corbina 580G Optics

Postby littlefish » November 5th, 2015, 11:43 am

How are these holding up?

Trying to figure out which on to get for a Christmas present.
littlefish

Postby Benny » November 7th, 2015, 10:54 am

Optics are holding up very well. They're still like new. Got used to the style and heavier feeling right away.

The strap for eye glasses broke after a day after use... that sucked. I just used some Gorilla Glue and it has held just fine. Would recommend anyone get some other type of strap.
Benny

Postby fshflys » November 8th, 2015, 7:28 am

I got a pair a few months ago, their website has quite a selection of frames & glass/plastics. When visiting retail stores they did not carry that many styles but the website was pretty good to find out which were for me. I have a small head/face & you could zero down on that feature. I called the Troutfitter in Mammoth, they carry Costa's, & asked what lens to get since that's where I do most of my fishing, they said "Copper". I ordered perscription glass so I had to go to a Costa site that is a Rx retailer. I have been using my Copper Stringer Costa's & realy enjoy them.

For retainers I've been using Chums Mono Oribitor for a few years now, I bought mine @ the troutfitter & had no problems.
http://www.rei.com/product/892954/chums ... e_PLA_GOOG
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby littlefish » November 9th, 2015, 10:34 am

Awesome!

Do you guys fish with them out in the surf? How well do they handle salt water?
littlefish

Postby fshflys » November 10th, 2015, 6:39 am

Don't do surf, I would suspect you'd want a color lens different than copper. Ask a shop that caters to surf or West Marine, they carry them.
fshflys

Postby fshflys » November 14th, 2015, 7:02 am

Wsa cruising through some sites this AM & found this;

http://firegirlphotographyblog.com/2015 ... ler-guide/
fshflys

Postby silverlaker » November 14th, 2015, 8:04 am

I've had mine for about 3 years. Use them on rivers , lakes, the surf, my bike, car, all sorts of places I never intended to use them. Holding up very well and work well in the surf. I think a different color kens comes into play when deep sea fishing, not so much the shallow surf.
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby littlefish » November 16th, 2015, 1:16 pm

fshflys wrote:Wsa cruising through some sites this AM & found this;

http://firegirlphotographyblog.com/2015 ... ler-guide/

whoa! cool blog! thanks!
littlefish

Postby littlefish » November 16th, 2015, 1:17 pm

silverlaker wrote:I've had mine for about 3 years. Use them on rivers , lakes, the surf, my bike, car, all sorts of places I never intended to use them. Holding up very well and work well in the surf. I think a different color kens comes into play when deep sea fishing, not so much the shallow surf.

Awesome! Do you also have the Corbina with glass lens? What color are your lens?
littlefish

Postby silverlaker » November 17th, 2015, 3:35 pm

littlefish wrote:
silverlaker wrote:I've had mine for about 3 years. Use them on rivers , lakes, the surf, my bike, car, all sorts of places I never intended to use them. Holding up very well and work well in the surf. I think a different color kens comes into play when deep sea fishing, not so much the shallow surf.

Awesome! Do you also have the Corbina with glass lens? What color are your lens?

Yes, I have the Corbina with glass lenses. The base is copper / amber with a green mirror coating. They are outstanding. I paid full price and don't regret the purchase at all. I had to look up my model and found the receipt - I've had them for a little over two years, not three. I like my Persols and love the Oakley lenses - but the polycarbonate scratches to easily. The Costa glass lenses are light and the frames stay on my head - I don't even use a strap.

Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Return to Gear Review