REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Tippet rings

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Re: Tippet rings

Postby planettrout » April 24th, 2016, 5:51 am

FlyKastr...

Read this article:

http://www.rioproducts.com/blog/tippet- ... er-browne/

I would imagine their 45lb. ring would work in the salt ...Maybe the Dean-O could chime in...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 24th, 2016, 6:30 am

FlyKastr wrote:
2mm OD is a common trout size. Does anyone use smaller of larger diameters than this?

Lastly, it’s unclear if Rio or Anglers Image tippet rings are stainless steel. Does anyone use these brands for salt water leaders?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tippet-Rings-25 ... Sw7NNT852q

For trout here in Idaho, I use either 2mm or 3mm rings purchased from the link above. The guy is in Canada, but he ships super fast and 25 each will last you a very long time, even giving away a few to fellow fly fisherman friends! I prefer the 3mm rings as they are easier to see and attach new tippet to.

His rings are stainless steel and I have never lost any to date by having them be so sharp-edged that they cut through the tippet like some posters have mentioned in the past from other non name brand purchases.

I usually cut about 2 feet off of the new tapered leader and attach the ring with an improved clinch knot, then tie on the new tippet with another improved clinch knot....seems to work with the little fishes we catch up here in Kansas!

Best regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby FlyKastr » April 26th, 2016, 4:20 pm

Thank you for your replies. They’re helpful and appreciated!

Perhaps some are selling cheap reduced OD washers online as tippet rings. That might explain the sharp edges that cut the leader or tippet.

I looked at an Angler’s Image (Waspi) tippet ring though a magnifying lens. They resemble reduced OD washers, but with rounded corners. Here’s some info from Cabela’s for this brand (w/ conversions).

Black Rings:
Small: 2.0mm (.079”, 5/64”) OD, 1.6mm ID, 18lb (8kg) Test
Medium: 2.5mm (.098”, 3/32”) OD, 2.0mm ID, 26lb (12kg) Test
Large: 3.1mm (.122”, 1/8”) OD, 2.5mm ID, 35lb (16kg) Test

Silver Rings:
Regular: 2.2mm (.087”, 11/128”) OD, 1.5mm ID, 22lb (10kg) Test
FlyKastr
FlyKastr

Postby ldr » April 29th, 2016, 7:44 am

I don't cut anything off the leader because with a tippet ring I can use thicker leader, and that's another advantage. I can take a 3x or 4x leader (I no longer buy 5x), add a tippet ring and directly tie 6x tippet. Try that with a knot and you'll end up with a very weak link.
"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra
ldr

Postby FlyKastr » April 30th, 2016, 11:49 am

Good advice Idr. It's an effective way to reduce leader purchases. Thank you!
FlyKastr
FlyKastr

Previous

Return to Gear Review