REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Redington Classic Trout Rod- 7'6" 2wt

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Redington Classic Trout Rod- 7'6" 2wt

Postby jaydubp » April 16th, 2021, 3:34 pm

This is my first Redington product.

With forum input from DublHaul, Bernard, and FightonUCLA :) , I purchased the Redington Classic Trout Flyrod in 2wt, 7'6". (paired with a used Orvis Battenkill I and Rio 2wt WF line. ). I paid $122 delivered and yesterday saw it on eBay for $117... great, great buy at $130 or less.

It has been very windy and cold on west side of Reno . I am 5 mi from CA border, so have not tried it much, but last 4 days I have gotten out in am to avoid the afternoon winds off the east side of Sierras.

Observations:
1) this stick has guts- I was worried about it being too delicate because it is sold as a moderate fast action- well action is moderate-fast (Winston-like?) and it is delicate but with an inside strength when you really throttle a cast. It does not do well in the wind-- as FIGHTONUSC (Jeff) posted, wind makes the line look like a spider's web. This is the only 2wt I have cast in wind, so they may all be the same-- not what they were designed to do.

2) I cast & fished on the Truckee River near Verdi, so 45ft is usually a long cast. Practicing on a pond, I felt that 45ft is the rod's longest practical fishing distance. I was not expecting it to be so accurate- it puts the fly exactly where you throw it. I threw mainly dry flies and the rod is spectacular-- but fishing subsurface, the weight of the line in water made this 2wt a chore to fish-- so I'd say dry flies and if you go subsurface, do so only on small streams. I tried throwing a #6 Woolly Bugger and spent too much time worrying about the back of my head... so I'd stick to #8 and below. 14-18 flies cast like a dream.

3) Quality- normal Redington/Sage quality- perfect finish and spots align perfectly.

OVERALL- I recommend this 7'6", 2wt to anyone who wants to fish very small dry flies. It compares to much more expensive rods. Easy to cast all-day long.

Jim
jaydubp

Re: Redington Classic Trout Rod- 7'6" 2wt

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 17th, 2021, 6:07 am

Jim,

Glad you found yourself a nice little 2 weight and that you are so close to the Truckee and Little Truckee. There used to be some big browns in that stretch between Boca and Verdi many years ago when I would fish there when we stayed in Tahoe.

Have fun with your new wand!

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby Bernard » April 19th, 2021, 3:39 pm

Fantastic!
At some point, I think we'd love to see a pic of the rod with a fish :)
Bernard
Bernard

Postby jaydubp » April 25th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Bernard wrote:Fantastic!
At some point, I think we'd love to see a pic of the rod with a fish :)
Bernard

So will I ! Bernard, you have the gift to cut to the heart of what is important....

Jim
jaydubp

Return to Gear Review