REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Backpacking Coffee Review

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Backpacking Coffee Review

Postby Wingnut » August 13th, 2014, 8:17 am

The sainted wife was in SLC for the outddor show and brought some of these back for hiking trips.

The coffee sucks but the concept is cool. The best thing is that it can be cleaned and used again and again with your own coffee. 3 heaping tablespoons of grounds add boiling water wait 4 minutes pour and enjoy. Seal it back up and pack out your trash. The one thing I found contrary to the directions was do not take the spout cover off when you add the hot water, and when you remove the spout cover tilt the spout up so it doesn't spill out, coffee in the morning while camping is a beautiful thing, don't waist it. They also make one with tea but I just pack in/out tea bags, seems silly.
Wingnut

Re: Backpacking Coffee Review

Postby BrownBear » August 13th, 2014, 9:24 am

Huh.... Never would have thought of it.

I just use an aluminum water bottle. Put in the grounds, add the hot water and let it sit a few minutes. I always bring along a few paper coffee filters from our brewer. Fold one over the mouth of the bottle and pour through it into a cup. No grit in the cup and a supply of filters is next to weightless. Rinse the bottle as well as the filter. Let the filter paper dry, and it's virtually weightless for the trip back out.
BrownBear

Postby Wingnut » August 13th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Where do the grounds go?
Wingnut

Postby BrownBear » August 13th, 2014, 2:20 pm

Wingnut wrote:Where do the grounds go?

Dry them and pack them out if it bothers you, or simply scatter them. If we're in a place with a campfire, we just burn them. I'm not too worried about the impact of a few tablespoons of coffee grounds, but I don' t like to leave them in a lump for later visitors to see.
BrownBear

Postby Wingnut » August 13th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Understood, I am a leave no trace kind of guy. I like the concept of the pack space, reseal and pack out, no muss no fuss. Just sayin......
Wingnut

Postby BrownBear » August 13th, 2014, 4:52 pm

Yup. I pack my grounds in one Ziploc along with the filters, then put that in a second ziploc. At camp the second ziploc becomes my "trash bag." Lay the filter out to dry after use, then roll it and drop it into the second bag for the trip home. No trace, and no extra weight on either leg of the trip.

Our "no trace" rules were learned here in brown bear country. Leave a trace or even a smell around camp, and the big furry enforcers are likely to speed your whole setup to the recycle bins.
BrownBear

Postby Wingnut » August 13th, 2014, 8:16 pm

Good for you BB. I wasn't * in you coffee pot I just found something I thought was cool, but you win it is a waste of money.

Cheers
Wingnut

Postby BrownBear » August 15th, 2014, 8:00 am

Wingnut wrote:... waste of money.

I wasn't too worried about the money, but you scared me to death with your report that the coffee sucked! :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby briansII » August 15th, 2014, 3:49 pm

I tried the Folgers coffee "tea bags" last week. I'm not a regular coffee drinker, but I thought those were NOT very good. I've also tried the little packets of freeze dried, and that was worse. I'm guessing both are better than nothing if you are a coffee addict. The MD 20/20 of the coffee world?

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » August 15th, 2014, 4:25 pm

briansII wrote:...little packets of freeze dried....

Speaking of that, here's a survival stunt for early mornings or camping without fire:

Dump a couple of the Starbucks instant packs (or less to taste) into a 16 oz water bottle the night before, then put it in your sleeping bag with you overnight. It's not hot and it's not fresh, but that warm 16 oz has saved more than one early morning for me.
BrownBear

Postby Baughb » September 9th, 2014, 7:25 am

Possible heretic....
I still use the "Taster's Choice" or Nescafe instant packets. $1 at the 99 cent store (?) for 7 cups. Minimal weight, minimal trash/impact. The Nescafe reminds me of the coffee machines in many of England's and Europe's train stations of which I have fond memories. The contrast of that taste in the wilds adds to the enjoyment.

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby flybob » September 9th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Baughb wrote:Possible heretic....
I still use the "Taster's Choice" or Nescafe instant packets. $1 at the 99 cent store (?) for 7 cups. Minimal weight, minimal trash/impact. The Nescafe reminds me of the coffee machines in many of England's and Europe's train stations of which I have fond memories. The contrast of that taste in the wilds adds to the enjoyment.

Bob

I am with you!
I have been drinking Taster's Choice for over 40 years....before it was bought out by Nescafe.

I just put about 5 tbls worth in a baggie for 5 days.....and I am good to go!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Bernard » September 11th, 2014, 7:52 am

Baughb wrote:Possible heretic....

Bob

I second this only because I have done it and it was a reasonably good solution. Of course I have one buddy who brings more coffee gear than fishing tackle to "do it right" and humor his companions. As far as freeze dried goes, I have enjoyed Trader Joes' freeze dried coffee. I don't think it comes in small packets but it tastes very good. A little powdered milk mixed in can help for those of us who don't drink their coffee black.

Fun thread.

B
Bernard

Postby flocktothewall » March 16th, 2015, 8:29 am

The Starbucks via is expensive but I think they taste pretty decent. And they're small, the wrapper takes up little space. That's become my choice.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby rkfiske » March 19th, 2015, 7:51 pm

I was lucky enough to have a friend who manages a starbucks give me some recently expired Via for free when I did the JMT. They were alright, got the job done and produced like almost zero trash.

Normally though they're too pricey and I'd like to find a good alternative... maybe I'll start drinking instant like Bob! :sad:
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Next

Return to Gear Review