REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Montana / Colorado boy new to Southern CA(INTRO)

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Montana / Colorado boy new to Southern CA(INTRO)

Postby londonwest » September 25th, 2016, 1:19 am

Hello all,

My name is Matthew Spangler and I am an avid fly fisherman. I was born in Superior Montana and have been fly fishing as long as I can remember. I think i was fly fishing as soon as I could WALK! My fondest memories was catching cut-throats with my dad and grandfather. I have been back to Montana every summer my entire life, and will continue to do so until I can't cast a fly rod........or breathe!

I moved to San Diego about a year ago from Denver and have since explored all of the fly fishing destinations I could find within a short distance (by short I mean a 3 hour drive to the Santa Ana "river"). If any of you live in the area, you already know that there are not many places to fish a stream for some trout. I have tried fly fishing a big rod in the surf, but it's just not the same. I have been up to the Sierra's only once last year, and I finally found myself feeling at home again. I had a bend in the rod, and a trout safely released back into the wild.

I am willing to drive pretty far, so long as I can get knee deep in some frigid water, and get those beautiful trout to rise to a dry fly.........or a nymph if that is what it takes.

I tie all of my flies and love to share whatever fishing knowledge I have to those interested. I do keep some spots secret, but I am willing to give just enough info for anyone excited to figure it out with a few subtle "hints".

I did make the mistake in my first post here in the forum as a "please help me find a good stream" cry for info. Please forgive my ignorance. I am not looking for your "honey holes", but I am excited to make a trek up north this October and all I have is a map, my tackle, my 30+ years of experience, a friend who has never been fly fishing before.

I hope you are willing to accept me into your community, and I promise to contribute any way that I can

Warmest Regards,

Matty S.P.Angler
Matty S.P. Angler
londonwest

Re: Montana / Colorado boy new to Southern CA(INTRO)

Postby RichardCullip » September 25th, 2016, 6:25 am

Welcome aboard. As you have discovered, San Diego is a tough place for a dedicated dry fly fisherman to live. It's a long was to any decent trout stream. Lots of water to fish up in the Bishop/Mammoth area with the Lower Owens being a prime destination in the winter months. Slightly closer to home in the Kern River in the Kernville area but that can be a tough river to fish as it gets a lot of pressure from the put and take crowd.

I too love to see trout rise to dry flies but, luckily for this Poway boy, I also love to float tube San Diego Bay and Mission Bay and walk the surf with fly rod in hand. It's certainly a different game but the fish tug hard and, if you are blessed to get out mid-week, you can have the water mostly to yourself. I'm out getting my fly fishing fix a couple of times a week in saltwater.

If you haven't found them yet, there are a couple of fly clubs in town. Both meet on Monday nights but different days of the month. I belong to both the San Diego Fly Fishers and the Golden State Flycasters clubs but have a hard time getting to the meetings since my Monday evening are often booked with family stuff.

Hope to see you on the water one of these days. Good luck in your quest to find some decent dry fly action.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby fshflys » September 25th, 2016, 6:41 am

The options are limited due to the extended drought we've been through. Once great waters have put through the ringer, Hot Creek & East Walker have a fraction of the fish they once held. For a newbie to the area the Owens River will be your best bet starting with the wild trout section accessed from Pleasant Valley Campground about 10 miles north of Bishop. North of there, if tubing or by boat, Crowley Lake is an option. Continuing north is the Upper Owens River, easiest access, turn right at the Green Church just south of Mammoth Airport. Upper Owens has runs of fish from Crowley Lake, October may be a bit early. Other than that, you'll have to do some exploring. Good reference material can be found here;
http://stevenojai.tripod.com/homepage.htm
for up to date reports, here;
http://sierradrifters.com/
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby planettrout » September 25th, 2016, 6:41 am

Matty,

Welcome !

I hate to be the bearer of not so great news, but the 5 year drought that we have been experiencing here in CA, has really done a number on what used to be quality stream and river fishing in the Eastern Sierras...

The East Walker River, in the "Miracle Mile" section , below the dam now looks like this:

...silted up, weedy, off-colored and devoid of the once prolific numbers of good Trout. Downstream, on the Rosaschi Ranch, on the Nevada side, it isn't much better...

...the lakes were putting out the best catches...

A review of David's fish report:

http://sierratroutmagnet.com/reports/

...and two other sources:

http://sierradrifters.com

http://www.thetroutfly.com/fishreport.html

...will provide additional information

I would be looking at the Lower Owens and later, the Upper Owens, for Fall and Winter possibilities...start the snow dance now... :bananadance: :funnyup: :bananadance:

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby fly addict » September 25th, 2016, 9:26 am

Welcome to the forum, a lot us are moving to places where you came from because fishing for trout in So Cal sucks. It's not much better in the Sierras do to the drought, DFG, poachers, etc. You can catch fish but don't expect anything like you experienced in the past. Here is the best tip for success up north, try the lower O below PVR and you will do fine. It should be fishing good in Oct, You might even see me there and if so I can help you out. And here is a photo of a fish that might make you homesick, ;)

I just spent 2 weeks up north and fishing was great and there is plenty of water!
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby DrCreek » September 25th, 2016, 10:17 am

londonwest wrote:Hello all,

My name is Matthew Spangler and I am an avid fly fisherman. I was born in Superior Montana and have been fly fishing as long as I can remember. I think i was fly fishing as soon as I could WALK! My fondest memories was catching cut-throats with my dad...

...If any of you live in the area, you already know that there are not many places to fish a stream for some trout. I have tried fly fishing a big rod in the surf, but it's just not the same. I have been up to the Sierra's only once last year, and I finally found myself feeling at home again..

Awesome intro Matt ! Okay brother, here it is. We're in the same boat. My entire family is from Montana (Highwood, Fort Benton, Billings, Lewistown). I learned with one of my dads hand-me-down 5wt bamboo rods in spring creeks when I was 7. My family moved to SD where my dad practiced specialty carpentry with a nice little custom cabinetry business. We went back yearly for vacations, as well as taking a few summer father-and-son-only jaunts every year to the Sierras - just to get the jones off our backs. I'm still in San Diego.

The last few years of precipitation failure have left the Sierras high and dry. I've purposely stayed away from the East Side because I didn't want to have a hand in stressing an already stressed environment. Like you, I chanced upon the salt. I mean, why not? It's in our backyard, and it wont be running dry anytime soon - PLUS I needed to wet a line in the worst way. I didn't think I'd like it, but I quickly found out I was wrong. With the guidance of our own local salt guru (Richard Cullip) I've been spending every free day at the salt - be it the bay or the surf. And I've only been in it for maybe four months now. You're right, its not the same as gin-clear running fresh water. But it IS a GREAT sport, AND I'm getting to wet a line pretty much any time I want. All this time, the salt has been less than a few miles from my front door and I was always too good for it. What a huge mistake. So now I'm playing catch-up to learn. I could have been seasoned if I had only opened my eyes to the possibilities.

So here I am, into it for a small quiver of 6-7wt salt rods, a few sweet reels, several types of good fly lines, a boatload of fat and hairy salt flies, PLUS I'm the recent proud papa of a nice little Outcast belly boat to use in the bay so I can learn even MORE salt secrets from my mentor. A lot of cash so far? YES... but well worth the expense. Up until the salt I only used 0wts for my Sierra and local trout fishing. What a difference a 6/7 is.

If you ever decide you want to take another swing at salt, just shout it out. We can all get you introduced around to the salt folks so that between all of us, you'll never have to go chuck flies alone unless you want to. Glad you're on board my Montana brother.

Best, Mike
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby londonwest » September 25th, 2016, 8:18 pm

Wow guys, thank you all so much for all of the great info, I can't tell you how exciting it is to be able to chat about this with everyone!

I have already been to the Santa Ana a few times now. I finally found a spot or two that I can get away from everyone, and I do have the luxury of being out there during the week, so that helps immensely. I even drove up to the San Jacinto river early this summer only to find that the yellow legged frog was being protected, and I couldn't fish. I will say that I don't mind exploring and even if I end up in a little stream, with little trout, I still have a great time.

This past time to the Santa Ana I followed the map on some back roads only to find myself at a gate blocking the road! Of course, I could SEE the riverbed down below, so I had to hoof it about 3 miles downhill to the dinky lil "crick" that is called the Santa Ana River. Oh, it looked ever so close when I started that hike, even half way down (you know, past the point of turning back), I was starting to wonder if there was actually water. I couldn't actually see, or even hear it, so I was worried. It ended up working out and I got into a handful of bows that were short and fat on a caddis fly. I might not be making that hike again, it was a long ways back up.

As I may have mentioned before, I have tried salt water fly fishing, and I got my butt kicked. I have the gear I need, except maybe a better reel and a belly boat, but I would be willing to invest. Figuring out the ocean structure has been pretty tricky for me, so I guess I will have to come learn a thing or two from you guys!

Thanks again everyone! I will keep you posted on my trip, take some pics and all that fun stuff.

Matt Spangler
Matty S.P. Angler
londonwest

Postby londonwest » September 25th, 2016, 9:31 pm

RichardCullip wrote:Welcome aboard. As you have discovered, San Diego is a tough place for a dedicated dry fly fisherman to live. It's a long was to any decent trout stream. Lots of water to fish up in the Bishop/Mammoth area with the Lower Owens being a prime destination in the winter months. Slightly closer to home in the Kern River in the Kernville area but that can be a tough river to fish as it gets a lot of pressure from the put and take crowd.

I too love to see trout rise to dry flies but, luckily for this Poway boy, I also love to float tube San Diego Bay and Mission Bay and walk the surf with fly rod in hand. It's certainly a different game but the fish tug hard and, if you are blessed to get out mid-week, you can have the water mostly to yourself. I'm out getting my fly fishing fix a couple of times a week in saltwater.

If you haven't found them yet, there are a couple of fly clubs in town. Both meet on Monday nights but different days of the month. I belong to both the San Diego Fly Fishers and the Golden State Flycasters clubs but have a hard time getting to the meetings since my Monday evening are often booked with family stuff.

Hope to see you on the water one of these days. Good luck in your quest to find some decent dry fly action.

Richard, after reading more of these posts, I think I will give saltwater another shot. I have heard of these clubs, Ill look more into it.

I will be sure to stay active here, you have all been a great help.

Matty
Matty S.P. Angler
londonwest

Postby londonwest » September 25th, 2016, 9:33 pm

A review of David's fish report:

http://sierratroutmagnet.com/reports/

...and two other sources:

http://sierradrifters.com

http://www.thetroutfly.com/fishreport.html

...will provide additional information

I would be looking at the Lower Owens and later, the Upper Owens, for Fall and Winter possibilities...start the snow dance now... :bananadance: :funnyup: :bananadance:

PT/TB[/quote]

Thanks for the great pics! looks like some off conditions for sure. Thanks for the links too, it's research time now!

Matty
Matty S.P. Angler
londonwest

Postby londonwest » September 25th, 2016, 9:38 pm

fly addict wrote:Welcome to the forum, a lot us are moving to places where you came from because fishing for trout in So Cal sucks. It's not much better in the Sierras do to the drought, DFG, poachers, etc. You can catch fish but don't expect anything like you experienced in the past. Here is the best tip for success up north, try the lower O below PVR and you will do fine. It should be fishing good in Oct, You might even see me there and if so I can help you out. And here is a photo of a fish that might make you homesick, ;)

I just spent 2 weeks up north and fishing was great and there is plenty of water!

Homesick indeed, but that never goes away! It sounds like the Owens might be pretty good in October. I plan on going around the 17-19th........I think. Im still debating the upper Kern too. I hear that is pretty tough, which I am fine with, but I am taking a buddy that has never been before. Do you think that a rookie would do better on the Owens?

Nice trout by the way.

Matty
Matty S.P. Angler
londonwest

Postby fly addict » September 26th, 2016, 7:22 am

londonwest wrote:
fly addict wrote:Welcome to the forum, a lot us are moving to places where you came from because fishing for trout in So Cal sucks. It's not much better in the Sierras do to the drought, DFG, poachers, etc. You can catch fish but don't expect anything like you experienced in the past. Here is the best tip for success up north, try the lower O below PVR and you will do fine. It should be fishing good in Oct, You might even see me there and if so I can help you out. And here is a photo of a fish that might make you homesick, ;)

Homesick indeed, but that never goes away! It sounds like the Owens might be pretty good in October. I plan on going around the 17-19th........I think. Im still debating the upper Kern too. I hear that is pretty tough, which I am fine with, but I am taking a buddy that has never been before. Do you think that a rookie would do better on the Owens?

Nice trout by the way.

Matty

Matt,
A rookie would have a much better chance to catch fish on the lower Owens. The sheer number of fish in that water is impressive, getting to the water is a drive-up, the wading is easy and you can camp on the river at PVR CG. I plan on camping there that same week so I could show you around.
Mark
fly addict

Postby stanbery » September 26th, 2016, 10:13 am

fly addict wrote:
londonwest wrote:

Nice trout by the way.

Matty

Matt,
A rookie would have a much better chance to catch fish on the lower Owens. The sheer number of fish in that water is impressive, getting to the water is a drive-up, the wading is easy and you can camp on the river at PVR CG. I plan on camping there that same week so I could show you around.
Mark

Matty
Welcome aboard.

Mark
I might be able to make it the same week for Thursday to Saturday if you are going to be there. Flows were still high this weekend when Jim and I stayed at PVR and the racoons are out in force.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby fly addict » September 26th, 2016, 1:45 pm

Jon
I plan on coming up on 10/16 Sunday and stay until Friday.
fly addict

Postby stanbery » September 26th, 2016, 10:56 pm

I will see what I can do.
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Return to Welcome to FFA!