REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Just retired, time to get back to flyfishing!

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Just retired, time to get back to flyfishing!

Postby Jessflyguy » July 11th, 2016, 3:39 pm

Hi, new to this forum. I just retired on July 1st after working for a company here in San Diego for 40 years. I have only been able to get away to fly fish every few years for many years but am excited to get into it seriously again. I grew up in San Fernando and my family was part of a co-op cabin in Mammoth Lakes for the first 20 years of my life. Our cabin was the first A-frame in Mammoth, on Lupin St. The people that built and used it were almost all Aeronautical Engineers at Lockheed, Burbank. Most people used it in the winter to ski, but my family used it in the summers to fish. I was fishing the Upper Owens River, particularly Big Springs from about 7 years old and up. We spent a week or more in Mammoth for 12 summers. We fished heavily in Crowley from our boat, but my first fishing love is stream fishing. We fished Hot Creek before it became hugely popular and I started fly fishing at 10-11 years old. My first fly rod was a Fenwick combo back rod (spin/fly), i used it for almost 10 years! I got my first full fly rod, also a Fenwick fiberglas 8'-6", 6 wt. in 1974 when I was stationed in the USAF at Mtn. Home AFB in Idaho, what a difference a real rod with proper guides made! I still use that rod with great success, it was made before Fenwick moved manufacturing offshore. I fished the Boise River So, Fork and many Sawtooth Wilderness area high country lakes as my main waters while in Idaho. I did get one chance to flyfish Silver Creek one time while there, truly the holy grail of creeks. I also got a chance to fish the Clearwater and Salmon rivers during my year there. About the time I went into the USAF the cabin in Mammoth was sold, I sure miss my youth up there. After the military, life and family caught up with me but I did get a chance to teach my son to flyfish and have made trips to Mammoth and Central Washington to flyfish when I had a truck camper. Our favorite trips were to Big Springs, and the Reds Meadows areas during the 80's and early 90's. Living in San Diego has limited my stream flyfishing activities but retirement should allow me to make trips to the waters up north. I got a nice gift card from work on retirement day and just used it to buy a new flyrod and reel that should be here next week. A good 9' 5 wt. was ordered and should do me fine for most everything. My wife and I have a trip booked for Mammoth in the end of September, I plan to break in the new rod. I have been working all year to improve my health, lost 45 pounds and hope to be able to get around on the creeks again. I am an avid photographer, used to do professional drag racing photography, and will post photos of my future trips and adventures. Thanks for membership and tight lines to you all.
Jessflyguy

Re: Just retired, time to get back to flyfishing!

Postby acorad » July 11th, 2016, 4:18 pm

* of a first post.

Welcome aboard!

Andy
acorad

Postby Wildman » July 11th, 2016, 5:01 pm

Look forward to hearing about your re-introduction into the fray. Pictures are always good. Since you're retired, you get the benefit of being able to fish during the week. Welcome aboard.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby RichardCullip » July 11th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Congratulations on your retirement. It's the best job in the world. It comes with 52 weeks of vacation a year!

I retired a little over 4 years ago with absolutely no regrets. Enjoying each and every day. I live in Poway and get my fly fishing fix in by going to the beach or taking my float tube down to San Diego and Mission Bays. I fish as many Mondays and Wednesdays as I can with some Fridays thrown in every once in awhile. If you are at all interested in fly fishing the salt (which is much closer than any trout water that I know of) I'd be willing to get together and show you what I do.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby stanbery » July 12th, 2016, 5:40 am

Welcome aboard
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby fshflys » July 12th, 2016, 6:41 am

Jessflyguy wrote: Our cabin was the first A-frame in Mammoth, on Lupin St.

My sons lived in an A-frame on Lupin, there are I think 4 grouped together on 2 lots, the parking area was a bit of a low spot & would hold a lot of snow melt, they called it Lake Lupin. Was it one of those?

Sounds like we're on similar paths, I got my 1st fly rod @ 13 an Abu Garcia 8 wt more suited for Bass but I still have it. I worked for Collins Radio/Rockwell for 30 years, now for an outsource company CSC for 10 more years, my client, Boeing.

I quess where we differ is I never put fly fishing aside. As a family, we'd camp @ Twin Lakes for a week every summer, my sons went to a year round school so we'd spend a week in a condo in the fall. I now go up there regularly to visit. I am close to retiring, as always, working in this industry, it could come sooner than I would like!
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby FIGHTONSC » July 12th, 2016, 9:53 am

Welcome aboard!

I retired about 45 minutes west of your old haunt (Mountain Home AFB) in Eagle, Idaho.

Looking forward to your upcoming posts as you rekindle yourself back into the game.

Best regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby Jessflyguy » July 12th, 2016, 11:45 am

RichardCullip wrote:Congratulations on your retirement. It's the best job in the world. It comes with 52 weeks of vacation a year!

I retired a little over 4 years ago with absolutely no regrets. Enjoying each and every day. I live in Poway and get my fly fishing fix in by going to the beach or taking my float tube down to San Diego and Mission Bays. I fish as many Mondays and Wednesdays as I can with some Fridays thrown in every once in awhile. If you are at all interested in fly fishing the salt (which is much closer than any trout water that I know of) I'd be willing to get together and show you what I do.

Thanks Richard. I have a friend that surf and kayak fishes in Mission Bay and Torrey Pines St. Park and wants me to teach him to flyfish. Maybe we can come watch you sometime in the future and learn technique. I appreciate the reply.
Jessflyguy

Postby Jessflyguy » July 12th, 2016, 11:53 am

FIGHTONSC wrote:Welcome aboard!
I retired about 45 minutes west of your old haunt (Mountain Home AFB) in Eagle, Idaho.
Looking forward to your upcoming posts as you rekindle yourself back into the game.
Best regards,
Jeff

Thanks, I was in your area 4 years ago and wetted a fly near Ketchum a few times. I knew almost every inch of the Boise R. So. Fork below Anderson Ranch Dam when I was at MHAFB from spring brown water to fall riffles. I worked at night most of my duty tour and flyfished almost every morning. I thought the assignment was paradise as a flyfisher.
Jessflyguy

Postby Jessflyguy » July 12th, 2016, 12:11 pm

fshflys wrote:
Jessflyguy wrote: Our cabin was the first A-frame in Mammoth, on Lupin St.

My sons lived in an A-frame on Lupin, there are I think 4 grouped together on 2 lots, the parking area was a bit of a low spot & would hold a lot of snow melt, they called it Lake Lupin. Was it one of those?

Sounds like we're on similar paths, I got my 1st fly rod @ 13 an Abu Garcia 8 wt more suited for Bass but I still have it. I worked for Collins Radio/Rockwell for 30 years, now for an outsource company CSC for 10 more years, my client, Boeing.

I quess where we differ is I never put fly fishing aside. As a family, we'd camp @ Twin Lakes for a week every summer, my sons went to a year round school so we'd spend a week in a condo in the fall. I now go up there regularly to visit. I am close to retiring, as always, working in this industry, it could come sooner than I would like!

fshflys: I know the cabins you are talking about, they are a bit smaller. Ours was the double-A frame, first on the left as you drive from the highway frontage road. It used to be set back from Lupin, but about 30 years ago the rerouted the street closer to it. Thanks for the reply, never really stopped fishing, fish a lot locally, but have not done a lot of flyfishing for a few years. Really looking forward to getting to Mammoth in September and rekindling my favorite hobby.
Jessflyguy

Postby fshflys » July 12th, 2016, 2:15 pm

Talked to my son after posting, he said it was probably closer to Main street, his is closer to Meridan. He did say that his old boss probably lived next door to you, he is one of seven kids in the family, sound familiar? I'm going up in Sept 6th, staying @ Hot Creek Ranch 7 & 8. When are you going?
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby Ants » July 12th, 2016, 4:30 pm

Welcome to the retirement years!

May your time be healthy, varied, and filled with fun! A sign of a good retirement when you realize you are keeping so busy that you marvel about how you ever find time to work.

Seems like it will be fun to continue your fly fishing adventures.

Ants
Ants

Postby WanderingBlues » July 12th, 2016, 7:23 pm

Welcome to the forum, and to retirement! Look forward to watching your reacquaintance to fly fishing.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Jessflyguy » July 12th, 2016, 9:56 pm

fshflys wrote:Talked to my son after posting, he said it was probably closer to Main street, his is closer to Meridan. He did say that his old boss probably lived next door to you, he is one of seven kids in the family, sound familiar? I'm going up in Sept 6th, staying @ Hot Creek Ranch 7 & 8. When are you going?

We are getting to Mammoth on Sept. 18th, staying in a cabin at Tamarack Lodge, doing day trips sightseeing and fishing the Owens. I would like to do Hot Creek Ranch someday.

There was a family behind our cabin with a bunch of kids. I never really knew their names. One of our Co-op members brought up a backhoe one year and tried to dig a pond on the property that was about 30' x 12'. This was about 1964. He thought he could stock trout in it during the summer for his kids. Needless to say, there was a big hole there for years, and the pond never came to be but stored snow water well. Some smart person filled it in after the cabin sold in the 70's. I guess Lockheed Engineers are not always real practical. BTW, the cabin's original builder and owner's last name was Zukin.
Jessflyguy

Postby Jessflyguy » July 16th, 2016, 1:06 pm

fshflys wrote:Talked to my son after posting, he said it was probably closer to Main street, his is closer to Meridan. He did say that his old boss probably lived next door to you, he is one of seven kids in the family, sound familiar? I'm going up in Sept 6th, staying @ Hot Creek Ranch 7 & 8. When are you going?

This was our cabin on Lupin St at Mammoth. Photographed on a visit to Mammoth in 2007. When we had it there were no buildings to the left or directly behind it.
http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/jessp ... ort=3&o=16

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/jessp ... ort=3&o=16
Jessflyguy

Next

Return to Welcome to FFA!