REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Hello

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Hello

Postby Rigormortis » January 16th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Just wanted to say hello before I started posting, My name is Ryon. I was introduced to fishing by my dad when I was around 4-5 yrs old and never stopped. My first fishing memories are fishing from a 15' Gregor with my dad in Upper Twin out of Bridgeport. As I got older, living in SoCal allowed me to explore fishing our offshore banks and traveling down into Baja but my heart has always been up in the mountains. Fishing in the Saltwater is great, very exciting but is never relaxing for me. I actually am in the process of selling my boat and moving on which actually in a round about way is what lead me to this forum. My new boat is in the form of a backpack. My plan is to take my twin sons backpacking into the Sierra this summer before they go off to college.
Anyhow my wife and I (9yrs ago)decided we wanted to try fly fishing.....got a 1/2 day trip with a guide in mammoth who took us to a park before we hit the water to just learn how to cast. Gotta say my wife got it way before me lol! We had a blast that day but kinda dropped the ball on continuing for a couple of years. Finally I bought both of us a couple of start up set from bass pro about 6 yrs ago. I went home and practiced almost everyday for 6 months........and well let's just say (as many of you know how it goes) I have acquired a lot more rods and reels :mrgreen:
Rigormortis

Re: Hello

Postby Papasequoia » January 16th, 2016, 7:12 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby stanbery » January 16th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Welcome aboard.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby FIGHTONSC » January 17th, 2016, 8:01 am

Welcome into the fold!

Lots of good people here and knowledge to be shared!

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby lucfish » January 17th, 2016, 9:41 am

Glad you're on board here. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time on the forum.
lucfish

Postby midger » January 17th, 2016, 11:32 am

Welcome! One can never acquire too many rods/reels and the backpacking route works well for flyfishers.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Rigormortis » January 17th, 2016, 11:48 am

Gentlemen thank you. I really look forward to possibly meeting you all up in the Sierra someday. I also enjoy fishing over in Utah. Became friends with Emmett at Circlevalley anglers over the years...very good man.
Rigormortis

Postby WanderingBlues » January 17th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Welcome aboard! I hear you on offshore. Expensive, I never felt relaxed (unless, of course, I was on the Intrepid!) and didn't enjoy combat aspect of dealing with people on the rail.

The mountains are where it's at.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Rigormortis » January 17th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Wandering....yes agreed. Riding the sportboat is nice but I hate dealing with people so that is why I fished my own boat. Ran offshore for almost 20yrs....I'm burned out....a lot of my buddies laugh at me when I tell them I enjoy getting in a beautiful stream and catch 8-12" fish as much as catching tuna. I will say though (my favorite) is hanging Yellows on the long rod throwing surface iron....awesome!. But there is no tranquility like being up on the mountain. However, I really would like to make a trip to Christmas Island for some of that flats fishing on the fly rod......
Rigormortis

Postby WanderingBlues » January 17th, 2016, 4:24 pm

I love throwing iron. Have a couple 8 and 9' jig sticks that have caught a few tuna over the years... However, we are getting ready to go full time RVing and I'm thinking I might be liquidating on Bloody Decks.

If you're interested, we have an impromptu gathering up in Bishop next weekend. Probably 8-10 forum members throwing flies, hanging out, socializing. Fishing with these guys will shorten your learning curve. Wives are completely welcome. Mine will be there, along with Stanbery's and Tree Catcher's. You'll find in short order the folks here are some of the finest people you'll ever meet.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Rigormortis » January 17th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Man I saw that and I would defiantly go- however I am taking my sons pheasant hunting on that Sat. Thank you for the invite though....if I was not doing that already I was in.
Ahh yes Bloody decks. I remember the day Jason got kicked off the AMS board and went and started his own..LOL he aint pounding nails anymore. I dont go on there much really..... have not posted in years....the attitudes there bother me but very happy for Jason and Ali for living their dream.
Rigormortis

Postby Fishfreak911 » January 18th, 2016, 12:27 am

Hi Rigormortis, and welcome! I also want to suggest heading up with a group that hikes into the Golden Trout wilderness for the opener every June 30th. It's an amazing trip-Truly once in a lifetime and it would be perfect for your twins too-Lot's of hungry willing goldens, and amazing scenery too. :FIRE:
~greg~
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby Rigormortis » January 18th, 2016, 11:30 am

Freak, nice to meet you. That sounds good- my only concern with this year is going to be the snow pack if we truly get the full impact of El Nino. Getting up high is going to be delayed...What do you all think of that situation?
Rigormortis

Return to Welcome to FFA!