REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

First catch

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

First catch

Postby Reid » April 27th, 2015, 3:46 pm

So i finally made my first catch fly fishing. It was a great day. Temp about 60 some degrees. I was using a wooly bugger. I felt a tug on my line and tugged back. It was about 2 and a half to 3 feet long. Maybe 4 pounds. Lucky for me the hook didn't set otherwise I would still be fighting that tree for its branch. Lol. I didn't have the space begin me I thought. Hopefully I'm not the only one to have this happen. Sadly still waiting for my first actual fish catch fly fishing. On the plus side my casting keeps getting better(provided I don't get jumped by trees) and I have got a bite or two. Just got to work on setting the hook.
Reid

Re: First catch

Postby midger » April 27th, 2015, 5:36 pm

We all hook the occasional tree, just don't let it discourage you. Keep at it and soon those tugs will be from actual fish, but then you'll be really hooked. ;)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Gary C. » April 27th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Lots of us spend some time trying to catch that first one on the fly. Once you do it starts falling into place a lot faster.
Gary C.

Postby darrin terry » April 27th, 2015, 6:14 pm

Ah, treefish! Yeah, caught a few of those. Also some stickfish, rockfish and the like. Keep at it, you'll get there.:D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Reid » April 27th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Good so its not just me lol.
Reid

Postby acorad » April 27th, 2015, 8:00 pm

Stickfish'll fight you pretty good sometimes!

Andy
acorad

Re:

Postby Wildman » April 27th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Reid wrote:Good so its not just me lol.

Nope...it's every one of us. I fished for two solid years without catching a fish then finally wised up and fished with guys that knew what they were doing. In my early years, I fished with Midger and more then once lost my entire fly set up just walking through the Willows to get to the creek. You'll get it...when you do, we'll be here to see the picture. Keep practicing.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

First catch

Postby Rasputinj » April 27th, 2015, 9:29 pm

Some people grow out of catching trees others like myself just really keep doing it, I guess because I am God at it. Keep it up you will catch fish, everytime is a learning experience .
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby WanderingBlues » April 29th, 2015, 8:04 am

I've caught world record tree fish over the years and donated a lot of flies in the process.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Ants » May 1st, 2015, 8:30 pm

At times, I feel content that a roll cast removes a fly from a rock or a log and I think I am spending more time fishing (with the fly in the strike zone). Then, last night, I delivered three flies to the same branch above me on the Carson River in Markleeville.

Take the personally directed dose of humility, and move on. The fish are waiting.

Ants
Ants

Postby Flatsix » May 2nd, 2015, 11:28 am

Catching trees, weeds, reeds and bushes will improve your casting greatly. The next learning curve will be figuring out how to set the hook. We all get lots of hits, but it takes a while to get the hook setting skill.
Flatsix

Postby Reid » May 4th, 2015, 9:34 pm

Ran into that this weekend. Got to the pond. Saw lots of ripples of fish hitting the surface. Threw out my dry fly. Got a hit but missed it. Got another hit missed it. Grrr. Kept missing. Finally saw what was taking my fly. Was a little fish maybe 3 inches long. Don't think it could swallow the fly. Lol
Reid

First catch

Postby Rasputinj » May 5th, 2015, 9:50 pm

Reid wrote:Ran into that this weekend. Got to the pond. Saw lots of ripples of fish hitting the surface. Threw out my dry fly. Got a hit but missed it. Got another hit missed it. Grrr. Kept missing. Finally saw what was taking my fly. Was a little fish maybe 3 inches long. Don't think it could swallow the fly. Lol

Great start, try a smaller fly next time.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Return to Welcome to FFA!