REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Old Addict, new to the Board

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Re: Old Addict, new to the Board

Postby johnjmcmullen » April 9th, 2014, 9:55 am

Thanks for all the warm welcome folks!

Apology in advance for a little anti-California'ish rant.

One of the things that is most challenging for me is getting good information about fishing here in the Yosemite Valley. If you know the area ... You know that even though Oakhurst, and the "local" fly shop is just over the hills ... you also know that the [often narrow] two lane roads, hills and curves puts that a little more than an hour away from El Portal, not really convenient. Traveling anywhere in this area takes time and requires actual planning. So to the point, it's not easy to get to the fly shop and pick up things, or even "hang out" and get all the latest and current info.

I rarely see fishermen here. In fact, I can probably count the number of times on a few hands. It's does not appear to be a fly fishing destination from my point of view. I cannot go to a local fishing spot and chat it up with someone about what's happening on the river.

Yesterday I walked the river near El Portal and was amazed to find a huge Salmonfly hatch going off. Seriously? I have never read, heard or been told that there was a Salmonfly hatch to even think about here in the valley. I would think this to be documented somewhere, but I have not found it. Mayflies, caddis and other good eating are also going on. The river is starting to rise [a little] with fall run off, so it occurs to me that soon it will get blown out and my enthusiasm will have to take a break, at least here nearby on the middle Merced. I can still go up into the park after the last Saturday in April, but I do not expect much action ... since everything I have read, heard or been told is that the fishing is not great. And I can and am willing to go up to the high country for some small stream action, but I don't have any experience with the area ... and there is still snow up there!

Having come from one of the greatest fly fishing areas in the USA (and lived in several others), the Roaring Fork Valley ... this is all [still] new to me and challenging to learn due to the circumstances. I have found the locals to be so tight lipped it's almost annoying. You would never have to ask someone in CO twice about where or what to fish ... they would be gushing with information and probably ask you over for a beer. But then, since I have only seen a couple fly fishermen on the river, that's probably not going to happen. In all my years of fishing, I have never been in an area that SHOULD have great fishing and a vibrant enthusiastic fishing community. It seems weird to me.

I am a 99% catch-and-release fisherman. The only time I will keep a fish is if my wife specifically asks me when I'm leaving the house to bring 1-2 back. I am not a treat to a "primo" fishing hole.

To those who have offered tips and advice I thank you sincerely ... there is hope. :ugeek:
johnjmcmullen

Postby johnjmcmullen » April 9th, 2014, 10:01 am

I wanted to add that if you use Instagram, my IG user name is "johnjmcmullen". I posted several nice shots of the river, and of Salmonflies yesterday. If anyone ever needs a river report, or pictures of the river my IG account is a good place to look. I also post pictures of flies I am working on [tying] occasionally.

Or if you just want to see some of the other things I'm interested in ... that is a long list I will not burden you with. ;-)
johnjmcmullen

Postby briansII » April 9th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Welcome! Beautiful pictures on your website.

johnjmcmullen wrote:Thanks for all the warm welcome folks!

Apology in advance for a little anti-California'ish rant.

:ugeek:

No worries. Welcome to California. Land of beautiful places......and lots of people. I like the fact that there are few people fishing up there. That's rare, considering how crowded other places are. Enjoy it, as it's very rare to find solitude at a roadside fishery. The tight lipped thing you are running into is probably contributing to the lack of other fisher folks. ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby Brookflyguy » April 9th, 2014, 8:09 pm

Started following you on IG, username (Ostronomer) Nice photos btw. I was in your area last week and noticed the Salmon Flys coming out early. In regard to tight lipped guys, yeah a bunch of dudes in the northern foothills are like that unfortunatley. A lot of the accessible easy to fish water is awful, so there are a lot of "stream-X's" when asked about good water etc. Caddis hatch should be poppin' soon, I had luck with some black/olive BH buggers, not much action working drys, I hope that changes soon. Haven't done much fishing on the Merced. The Stanislaus holds some nice water with some big fish if you're game for some deep canyon hiking and bouldering. You can hit up the section below Goodwin Dam before the 26th.

Favorite dry patterns for that area this time of year are #14 caddis variant, #16black,olive and brown caddis, stimulators, #14 Royal Humpy, Cronobal Ants and lots of hoppers and other terrestrials in the summer.

-Eric
Fish. Explore. Conserve. Live.
Brookflyguy

Postby Fishfreak911 » May 12th, 2014, 4:22 pm

johnjmcmullen wrote:I should probably create a fly fishing gallery eh?

Ummmmm, YEAH!
;)
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby Fishfreak911 » May 12th, 2014, 4:26 pm

johnjmcmullen wrote:To those who have offered tips and advice I thank you sincerely ... there is hope. :ugeek:

This is why we all stay here. Good folks, period.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby johnjmcmullen » June 28th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Hey guys. Hi Eric!

If you are not following me on Instagram (user name johnjmcmullen), I've been having a great early summer Tenkara fishing on the Merced. I'm progressing quickly and man, the fishing has been pretty darn good.

I'm mostly social on Facebook, and Instagram (a little Twitter, and some others but primarily these two). I won't post any pictures here, but you can check out some of the action and get updates through my IG account pretty constantly ... http://instagram.com/johnjmcmullen

Quickly getting a hand of the river, and having a lot of fun with the Tenkara (I haven't touched my western style fly rod this year), it's been a great way to fish the Merced IMO. I'm tying some good tenkara flies, and catching fish fairly regularly. Since the weather has been heating up, with predicted temps just a little over 100 degrees coming up, I'm guessing the fishing will be a little spotty down here in the lower Merced. The fish really stay down when it's hot, but I'm fishing good spots with wet tenkara flies and still doing very well.
I will soon be getting up to Tuolumne to check it out.
johnjmcmullen

Previous

Return to Welcome to FFA!