REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Do you clean & dress your flyline?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Before every trip.
21%
Occasionally.
55%
I can’t remember.
8%
Never, is that why my line doesn’t float!
16%

Total votes : 38

Postby fly addict » September 21st, 2013, 12:27 pm

I just finished teaching a class on hauling, and I was surprised to find out that most casters/ fly fisherman did not clean and dress their flyline regularly. I had them clean and dress their lines and the difference were night and day. A line that is clean and dressed will slide through the guides with much less friction making hauling that much easier. It also will shoot so much farther than a dirty line. A clean line will float higher and longer which will help reduce drag or sink out your dry flies. So if you are experiencing any of these conditions, clean and dress your flyline and it will perform like it did when new. At $60 to $90 for the premium lines it makes sense to take care of them and get the most bang for your buck.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Re: Do you clean & dress your flyline?

Postby DrCreek » September 21st, 2013, 12:31 pm

Correct, Mark. I wouldn't think of throwing a line that hadn't been cleaned thoroughly and freshly dressed.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Papasequoia » September 21st, 2013, 3:03 pm

I'm in the 'occasionally' category - should probably do it more often. I'm using a product called zip cast - do you recommend something else?
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby darrin terry » September 21st, 2013, 3:14 pm

About every second or third trip out for me.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby John Harper » September 21st, 2013, 3:15 pm

Papasequoia wrote:I'm in the 'occasionally' category - should probably do it more often. I'm using a product called zip cast - do you recommend something else?

When I remember to, I use zipcast as well.

John
John Harper

Postby midger » September 21st, 2013, 8:05 pm

Funny this topic should come up now, as I just finished dressing 3 lines about 2 days ago after I noticed my dry fly line was sinking the last time I fished it. I also have to place myself in the "occasionally" group even though I know better, but then, hey, I'm primarily a nymph/streamer fisherman so if the line sinks............ ;)

Mark is right though about line shootability. Lines that are treated certainly go through the guides a lot easier.

I have also used zipcast, but recently have treated my lines with Loon "line speed". The zipcast is easier to use, but it doesn't seem to last too long after a treatment. What other methods/products is everyone using?
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby meb » September 21st, 2013, 9:55 pm

I clean my lines with a little dish soap and water by soaking it for a half hour or so before rinsing in clean water. Then I pull the line through a soft cloth to get the dirt off. If I have a line dressing like Glide I use it to polish or buff the line, but soap and water is an improvement even without the line dressing.

Because I practice casting regularly in local lakes my lines and running lines get really dirty and I clean them fairly often.

When fishing with dry flies, if I see the end of my line is sinking it, I treat it with a fly floatent like Muclin.

MB
meb

Postby Sasha » September 21st, 2013, 10:05 pm

I just suck... The only time my line is "clean" is when I remove it from the package and spool it on my reel :bananadance:
Sasha

Postby DrCreek » September 22nd, 2013, 6:40 am

Jon, I use ZipCast, too. And maybe something else over the top of that (Loon, etc) - even though it isn't necessary.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby planettrout » September 22nd, 2013, 7:20 am

I clean my lines on a regular basis and generally follow these directions:

http://www.scientificanglers.com/inside ... -fly-lines

There are a lot of good products out there to keep one's lines in top condition:

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?s ... target=157

Both the LO and EWR crud lines quickly...

PT/TB ;)
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby WanderingBlues » September 22nd, 2013, 8:34 am

I clean 2-3 times a season A long soak in warm water and dish soap. Then I use what ever Loon product. I also finish it with Armor All. It 'slicks' it and gives some UV protection.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby flyster » September 22nd, 2013, 9:18 am

Wait, before I answer this let me go clean my 2,3,4,5,6,8 and 10wt. lines. I'll be back next week after I clean them all :doh: :doh: :doh: .
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby briansII » September 23rd, 2013, 12:15 pm

I'm suppose to do that?!?! I figured at close to $90 a pop, they would clean and dress themselves.......plus do the dishes once a week, and take out the trash.

I don't trout fish all that much anymore, so I really don't get my floating lines that dirty. When the tip starts to sink, I might clean the line. More likely I just switch to a rod with a newer line for the next trip. :P I've used a dozen line cleaners/dressings. None seem to last very long, and none will get the lines looking brand new. So why bother...... ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby flybob » September 23rd, 2013, 1:21 pm

Very timely topic!

I was preparing a post on asking about this very subject!

I do clean my lines regularly, especially when coming off a mucky pond, but I have never "Dressed" any of my lines!
I must admit, I have never looked into the dressing part, and do not know what the best products are.
Keeping a line "slick" does make sense.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Pete » September 23rd, 2013, 1:57 pm

Ok, I am in the occasionally group.

Am I reading the line maintenance link that Planettrout posted correctly? As in there is not really any reason to dress the lines? Or it is wishful thinking on my part. That sure would make things a lot quicker than using my SA cleaner and the little foam pad. Works, but it's just one more thing to lug around on trips. Although I have cleaned and dressed my line while on the water with the SA cleaner/ pad.
Pete

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing