REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Swamp Frog Revisited

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Swamp Frog Revisited

Postby flybob » September 7th, 2013, 12:41 pm

In one of my last posts about fishing a swamp I posted a pic of a huge blue frog hanging out in the submerged weedbed.
Well I ended up with a few PMs about it and its color.

I went back to my archives and found a few pics of the frog in its normal motif, more of a teal tint on the face.

I still do not know what kind of frogs or toad they are, but they get enormous and can belch out a pretty good tune too.

On many occasions I have been fooled by their splashes in the reeds, thinking they were bass!
Moving in to cast only to find this huge frog staring back at me.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: Swamp Frog Revisited

Postby Wildman » September 7th, 2013, 1:47 pm

Bob-
According to my Biologist Daughter in law, that is an American Bullfrog.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby flybob » September 7th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Wildman wrote:Bob-
According to my Biologist Daughter in law, that is an American Bullfrog.

And is the blue tint normal, or an after affect of San Onofre and F u k a jima? (I had to space it out cause the stupid filter gave me a " * " instead)

Thanks Jim!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby darrin terry » September 7th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Nice pics! Next time, Bob, take gig. Frog legs for dinner!
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Wildman » September 7th, 2013, 7:10 pm

Color is normal according to her. Variations based on region but what she sees in SoCal
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Ants » September 7th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Based on my nightly serenade in Bodfish, the small 1-inch frogs have vocal capacity equal to the larger bull frogs. The bass component of the chorus is less full than the bull frogs, however.

The price of admission is still a bargain.

Ants
Ants

Return to General Fly Fishing