REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

nothing but net

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

nothing but net

Postby silverlaker » August 21st, 2013, 2:25 pm

On a recent trip I lost two nice fish at the net. A steep bank, deep water and net too small for the fish did not help matters. Its time for a new net with a longer handle. I've looked a bit - but am curious what you are using and if you like it. I appreciate any comments.

Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Re: nothing but net

Postby lucfish » August 21st, 2013, 3:19 pm

Depends on how much you want to spend. I figure I will not be buying another one and bought what I think is the best money can buy. This net I believe can easily handle a fish to about 28 inches. Look up fishfreak on the site. He will custom make any kind of net you can think of and will go over every minute detail of size, handle length and even webbing. Here is a pict of my net with a nice brown the fish was about 21 inches if I recall and the last thing I worried about is if it would fit in the net. There not cheap but they are works of art that work exactly like their supposed to.

Fish in the net.
lucfish

Postby stanbery » August 21st, 2013, 5:28 pm

Greg makes some awesome nets just take a look
http://www.sierra-nets.com/CMS-Sierra/
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby DrCreek » August 21st, 2013, 6:42 pm

Greg Madrigal... Greg Madrigal... Greg Madrigal.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby fflutterffly » August 21st, 2013, 7:31 pm

Who needs a fish when you have a net like that!!!
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby fly addict » August 21st, 2013, 8:54 pm

DrCreek wrote:Greg Madrigal... Greg Madrigal... Greg Madrigal.

Dittos...
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby John Harper » August 22nd, 2013, 8:06 am

Yes, get ahold of fishfreak911, he's a great guy and an obsessed fisherman. His nets are functional works of art.

John
John Harper

Postby Jimbo Roberts » August 22nd, 2013, 9:29 am

I bought a Brodin Frying Pan. It has the largest opening 18" and reach, except for their float tube and guide nets. It also has a ghost (almost clear) rubber net that is easy on the fish. I've had it for 3 years and banged it around from here to Montana.
I will say the Greg Madrigal's nets that I have seen on this forum look to be top notch and have some exotic looking woods.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby 1mocast » August 22nd, 2013, 1:01 pm

I have had the same problem float tubing with a need for a wider hoop, longer handle net. I will put a post together with a DIY project. The short answer: Used Oversized Tennis racket and a Brodin replacement net.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby silverlaker » August 23rd, 2013, 9:49 am

Thanks for your comments. I see a trend here...
Greg's nets are impressive. With the seven layer lamination and the quality of his hardwoods, they're just beautiful. However, I'm not looking for an heirloom quality net for this application. I do hope to be able to pick up a smaller net from him in the future though. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Return to General Fly Fishing