REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Vehicles for Flyfishermen, the conclusion

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Vehicles for Flyfishermen, the conclusion

Postby rayfound » January 14th, 2009, 8:59 am

Well, first off, thanks for all the input guys, I really did consider everything suggested, and really looked over what was available. I honestly kept coming back to what Midger said:

midger wrote:I'd look for a vehicle with clearance first, 4wd second, and mileage third.

Ultimately, I chose a vehicle that was a total compromise of all of these items: a 2001 Toyota Highlander AWD v6.

Its got about 7 1/2" of ground clearance. Not great, but not bad.

Its got AWD, not true 4wd with Lockers and whatnot, but not bad

I should average 18-20 mpg combined city/hwy. No great, but again, not bad.

It was clean inside, and decent outside, but not so good outside that I'll be afraid of "trail Polish"

Anyway, here she is, the Green Machine:

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Re: Vehicles for Flyfishermen, the conclusion

Postby flybob » January 14th, 2009, 9:06 am

Congrats on the ride Ray!

Hey I know a place where you can break it in, a little polish, some mud and perhaps a little snow and ice!
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, fish too! :lol:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Justin » January 14th, 2009, 9:22 am

Nice ride Ray!
I have bought my wife a Highlander about 5 years ago (not awd like yours but it is a V6) It has been a great ride and we have had no problems just add oil and gas and away you go. I think you made a sound purchase my friend.

Oh and when you go break it in if you need a passanger look me up. :D

Justin
Justin

Postby rayfound » January 14th, 2009, 11:27 am

wildfly wrote:Nice! You need to become the first person to put a 6" lift and some 33's on a Highlander!

Craig - I bought this because I could no longer afford to make a car payment ... I won't be spending any money on her outside of the regular maintenance.

BTW - Is it even possible to lift a unibody construction vehicle like that?
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

rayfound

Postby anacrime » January 14th, 2009, 12:51 pm

that looks like a fair choice for both commuting and dirt roading. looks good buddy. take it up this weekend, and you'll probably see the roads in their worst condition. should be a good test 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby JGray » January 14th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Come on, I wan't to see it lifted too :D!!!!! You would be a unique site on some of the trails. I never thought I needed the clearance etc. but without it I would have never seen some of the places Colorado XJ and I go in ours. My XJ (Jeep Cherokee) has 5 inches on 33's and Aaron's has over 7 inches on 35's with a lot of other bells and whistles on both. They are unibbodies too so I'm sure it can be done on your Toyota. I guess I'm a little biased hugh? Congrats on the new ride.
JGray

Postby rayfound » January 20th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Well, due to a certain recently installed obstruction, I got to test it out on the 2 FS Roads I had in mind when I was shopping.

The roads were actually fairly dry most everywhere, so I still don't have a feel for the "muddy" performance, but there were a couple deep spots that I made it through no problem. Ground clearance was adequate.

Its looking much nicer now: Trail polish and pin-stripes.

rayfound

Postby midger » January 20th, 2009, 4:54 pm

I hear it screaming "Wash Me!" already. :lol:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Return to General Fly Fishing