REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Anyone using Google Earth / Map Maker with success

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Anyone using Google Earth / Map Maker with success

Postby JoeFin » July 2nd, 2013, 3:21 am

For me, Google Earth is my go to source for finding back woods access to streams and lakes. The only problem is I can't take it with me - the information is on the internet still.

I've looked into the Google Map Maker which is all internet based, approved by committee and utterly useless to me. Would like to find some way to edit down to a "Low Ink consumption format" showing major highways, roads, and even selected landmarks that I can use.

If anyone has found a means to generate a decent looking map with it please share.
JoeFin

Re: Anyone using Google Earth / Map Maker with success

Postby tenandtwo » July 2nd, 2013, 6:50 am

Hi Joe,

I am a big fan of Google earth/maps as well. It is hard to beat the good old paper NF maps as they show trail heads, gates, etc. Things you can't always see on the satellite mapping.
available here... https://secure.nationalforeststore.com/ ... e_Code=NFS

As far as taking it with you... These maps are virtually identical to the forest service maps, and are downloaded to your phone for just $.99 each and work offline and out of cell range with just the satellites/GPS so you know exactly where you are. I highly recommend these, great app! ... http://appplot.com/developer/tt4software/
tenandtwo

Postby DrCreek » July 2nd, 2013, 7:00 am

Hmmm... Much like Mr tenandtwo, I'm still using the time-proven maps from REI and A16. They're paper... but they're WATERPROOF paper. Could never get anything printed as clear and easy-to-read as a store-bought map.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Rob909 » July 2nd, 2013, 7:53 am

I haven't gone the route of digital maps yet, other than carrying my garmin gps with me which I really just use to mark my trail so I know how to get back to where I started.

I also reference the Tom Harrison Maps. They have a lot of detail and are waterproof. I'm not sure if these are the ones DrCreek speaks of, but they are good. REI generally has a good selection to choose from.

Rob
Rob909

Postby DrCreek » July 2nd, 2013, 8:17 am

Rob909 wrote:I haven't gone the route of digital maps yet, other than carrying my garmin gps with me which I really just use to mark my trail so I know how to get back to where I started.

I also reference the Tom Harrison Maps. They have a lot of detail and are waterproof. I'm not sure if these are the ones DrCreek speaks of, but they are good. REI generally has a good selection to choose from.

Rob

That's them !! :bananadance:
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby rumson » July 6th, 2013, 6:50 pm

JoeFin wrote:For me, Google Earth is my go to source for finding back woods access to streams and lakes. The only problem is I can't take it with me - the information is on the internet still.

I've looked into the Google Map Maker which is all internet based, approved by committee and utterly useless to me. Would like to find some way to edit down to a "Low Ink consumption format" showing major highways, roads, and even selected landmarks that I can use.

If anyone has found a means to generate a decent looking map with it please share.

Hi Joe,

This may be what you're doing already, but Google has the Google earth app for any smart phone now. In addition to that, Google maps has a function to save a selected portion of the map you're looking at to your phone, for later offline use. You may be able to zoom in quite close, save the map to your phone, then reference it later when you need it.

Rich
rumson

Postby JoeFin » July 8th, 2013, 6:49 pm

rumson wrote:Google has the Google earth app for any smart phone now. In addition to that, Google maps has a function to save a selected portion of the map you're looking at to your phone, for later offline use.

Rich

I wasn't using my phone - but I am now

Thanks for the heads up Rich
JoeFin

Postby rumson » July 8th, 2013, 7:29 pm

JoeFin wrote:
rumson wrote:Google has the Google earth app for any smart phone now. In addition to that, Google maps has a function to save a selected portion of the map you're looking at to your phone, for later offline use.

Rich

I wasn't using my phone - but I am now

Thanks for the heads up Rich

I gave it a try today to see how well it works. Depending on the area you're looking at, it can be either very clear, or kinda blurry. For example, I checked the area around South Lake, and the small Weir Pond (let me know if the pond is classified info... ;) ), and the detail was so so when zooming in close. From a bit higher above, the detail was quite good. Hopefully this helps some!

Rich
rumson

Return to General Fly Fishing