REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Do you use a water filter when fishing or hiking?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Do you use a water filter when fishing or hiking?

Postby fly addict » June 13th, 2013, 12:12 pm

This is an interesting article about risk of water contaminated in the Sierras.
http://www.ridgenet.net/~rockwell/Giardia.pdf
What do you think and will this change your habits.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Re: Do you use a water filter when fishing or hiking?

Postby DrCreek » June 13th, 2013, 12:24 pm

My own answer to the title of your thread... * YES.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby anacrime » June 13th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Also yes.

Didn't read the article, but does it make a case for using a filter over other treatment methods, such as chemical or UV? I ask because of the title of your thread.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby darrin terry » June 13th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Yes I use a filter. Yes, I will continue to use one. I do so because giardia is not the only worry. Cryptosporidium and campylobacter, salmonella and e. coli are near the top of the list for me. I also fish, often, where cattle are roaming freely (LO & LK) and certainly can't count on them to not crap/* in the water. I have and will continue to depend on a filter.

I have used the Seychelle filters since learning of them from Mike's posts a few years ago. I have had some bad customer service with them due to a broken filter I received and am currently searching for a new product. In the meantime, the Seychelles still get used. They are a good product. I also use a Katydyn Hiker Pro for camp water needs, though I am also looking in other directions there. You never know who or what is upstream from you, just out of sight.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby rkfiske » June 13th, 2013, 1:12 pm

It takes a few minutes to filter water with most methods, hardly seems worth it to take a chance.

The article does point out something important though. Good hygiene habits in the backcountry are paramount and care should be taken when sharing items/food/utensils/water with other people in your group. I just assume that anyone in the group I'm with could be infected and therefore I take care when sharing anything between people.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby briansII » June 13th, 2013, 1:20 pm

Darrin Terry wrote: You never know who or what is upstream from you, just out of sight.

I know. Billions of nasty microbes just waiting to get inside my body. :sad:

I always filter.

Anyone know where I can buy Purell in 55 gallon drums?

briansII
briansII

Postby darrin terry » June 13th, 2013, 1:28 pm

briansII wrote:Anyone know where I can buy Purell in 55 gallon drums?

briansII

I don't know about 55 gallons, but how about in bulk? BULK PURELL
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » June 13th, 2013, 2:06 pm

rkfiske wrote:The article does point out something important though. Good hygiene habits in the backcountry are paramount and care should be taken when sharing items/food/utensils/water with other people in your group. I just assume that anyone in the group I'm with could be infected and therefore I take care when sharing anything between people.

Pretty sure I picked up Giardia at VVR...
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby NorcalBob » June 13th, 2013, 2:32 pm

Yes, I ALWAYS filter my drinking water. Just got a Steri-Pen, but I haven't had the opportunity to use it. Back at university in the 1970's, I worked quite a bit in water quality studies. Did a lot of water testing in the back country Sierra's. We did not test for giardia, but we did test for E. Coli. Just a little under 50% of our water samples tested positive for E. Coli from back country waters. Of course, E. Coli indicates the presence of fresh fecal matter, and I was totally shocked at some of the waters we tested (that I previously would not have thought twice about drinking without treatment!) that ended up testing positive. Since that time, I NEVER drink straight from the stream. But then again, I also don't understand the attraction of playing russian roulette either so YMMV!!!
NorcalBob

Postby DrCreek » June 13th, 2013, 2:55 pm

NorcalBob wrote:... Did a lot of water testing in the back country Sierra's. We did not test for giardia, but we did test for E. Coli. Just a little under 50% of our water samples tested positive for E. Coli from back country waters. Of course, E. Coli indicates the presence of fresh fecal matter, and I was totally shocked at some of the waters we tested (that I previously would not have thought twice about drinking without treatment!) that ended up testing positive. Since that time, I NEVER drink straight from the stream. But then again, I also don't understand the attraction of playing russian roulette either so YMMV!!!

But... but... Ralph Cutter proudly boasts that he drinks straight from the source with no filtering - it's a simple pleasure for him - and he's "the man" right? :funnyup:
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby The Steady Foot » June 13th, 2013, 3:02 pm

I agree, very interesting atricle. A few thoughts:

The author clearly had an opinion (based on experience as may be) and used information to back it up. A good research article should research first, then come to a conclusion. That being said, I buy his thesis.

I will always filter water unless I see it bubbling from the spring. But it's nice to know I probably don't have to.
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Postby WanderingBlues » June 13th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Having picked up Giardia in the locals, I can tell you it's not fun. The meds are almost as bad as the illness. That's why I only drink beer now.....

Seriously, I use a filter and it works awesome.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Rob909 » June 13th, 2013, 4:03 pm

Yes, I use a Seychelle filtration bottle when needed.

Rob
Rob909

Postby clee » June 13th, 2013, 6:12 pm

Didn't read the article but yes I use a filter. I bought a streipen when they first came out as pumping water is a hassle. I went back to a pump when I realized that the UV lights may kill the bad stuff it doesn't filter sediments nor does it make the water taste better like a pump.
clee

Postby NorcalBob » June 13th, 2013, 7:32 pm

[/quote]

But... but... Ralph Cutter proudly boasts that he drinks straight from the source with no filtering - it's a simple pleasure for him - and he's "the man" right? :funnyup:[/quote]
I'll let Ralph drink all the untreated water he likes. :bananadance:
I used to believe like him, that is until I started doing water quality work in the backcountry. :fart:
The thought of drinking * tainted water doesn't really appeal to my tastes, even if it looks perfectly good. As ole Clint used to say, "do you feel lucky".... :booty:
And my biggest complaint of the referenced "study" is the author pretty much ignored the threat of all the other pathogens that you can ingest whilst drinking untreated water and the fact that simple filtering of the water removes the threat from most all of them (with the exception of viral pathogens). :Pop:
NorcalBob

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing