REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Furled Leaders

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Furled Leaders

Postby Bajacamp » May 20th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Do any of you guys twist your own furled leaders. You Tube shows you how to do it, which looks easy enough. But I just can't get the feel for it. I stretch the memory out of the mono. About half way though the twist I start getting all twisted out of shape. I've lost a few of the leaders to the bottom, that gets to expensive. If anybody has any hints about twisting your own leaders would love any Info. Thanks.....Fred
Bajacamp

Re: Furled Leaders

Postby darrin terry » May 20th, 2013, 11:00 pm

I think you must mean furled leaders. If so, I know that Pete used to do his own 'cause he gave me one to try out. I think there may be one or two others here that have done it. Furling involves more than simply twisting the material. Are you using a jig to build your leaders and are you trying to twist by hand or with tools or some sort (for instance people use hand drills to do the twisting). If you are trying to make them entirely by hand as in the video below, then good luck. I've tried and they never came out right.

Hopefully someone with some actual experience that resulted in actual leaders will chime in soon.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Re: Fueled Leaders

Postby Pete » May 21st, 2013, 6:22 am

Yep..... I make them but I use a homemade jig and a battery drill. They come out ok. Never had a fish complain yet. Haven't tried the no jig or tools method. Probably never will. That's a lot of twisting by hand that a drill can do in 30 seconds.

Pete
Pete

Postby DrCreek » May 21st, 2013, 6:32 am

I truly believe that in flyfishing, building one's own anything is classy - and probably the more romantic way to go. There are few things more satisfying than knowing you've caught a trout on either a fly you've tied yourself, a tapered leader you've fashioned from scratch, or maybe even your first fly rod you built solo.

This method seems strange to me. I'm used to seeing folks use "nail boards" and drills for furled leader tying. I don't know any flyfisherman that's ever attempted this particular method.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby BrookfieldAngler » May 21st, 2013, 6:43 am

Ive tried that hand method as shown in the videos and the guy makes it look a lot easier than it really is. I have a theory that your fingers need to be sticky to really be able to get the twist going after the first foot or two.

Also, keeping the tag ends free from each other is a nightmare. Once you get past those two things though, you do get a pretty slick twisted leader.

I also think, but am not sure, that there is a difference between twisted and furled leaders.
BrookfieldAngler

Postby Baughb » May 21st, 2013, 7:57 am

I'll second the satisfaction of making your own fishing equipment and supplies... although the 2 furled leaders I purchased 5 or more years ago and still going strong. I don't use them every time I fish but, I use them often and appreciate them.

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby clee » May 21st, 2013, 8:09 am

I believe member azwanderings sells them, you may want to pm him perhaps he can give you a few pointers.
clee

Postby briansII » May 21st, 2013, 8:26 am

Bajacamp wrote:Do any of you guys twist your own fueled leaders. You Tube shows you how to do it, which looks easy enough. But I just can't get the feel for it. I stretch the memory out of the mono. About half way though the twist I start getting all twisted out of shape. I've lost a few of the leaders to the bottom, that gets to expensive. If anybody has any hints about twisting your own leaders would love any Info. Thanks.....Fred

If in fact you are trying to build leaders like in the video Darrin posted. Yes, I've rolled quite a few twisted leaders. I used them for my topwater bass and stripers. It may take a few tries before you get the hang of it, but if I can do it, anyone should be able to.

Key points. Make sure the mono is stretched and relatively straight. When twisting, use light pressure at the pinch, like the video suggests. Too much pressure and you get uneven twists. Don't try and get the twists very tight. There's definitely a balance of too loose, or too tight. Keep the two loose ends, behind the pinch, away from each other so they don't tangle. That's it. After stretching, it only takes a few minutes to twist one up. I add a #10, Spro Power Swivel to my tippet end, to help keep the big topwater flies from twisting my twisted leader.......if that makes any sense?

Past discussion on the subject.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5736&hilit=twisted+leader

briansII
briansII

Postby AZWanderings » May 21st, 2013, 8:36 am

Just saw this post (thanks clee for the shout out). I make and sell furled leaders on my website. I like to make them out of uni-thread as opposed to mono. I think that the uni-thread leaders are softer and more subtle although I like to use mono or fluoro ones for pike and bass on a heavier weight rod.

The twisting can be super frustrating. I learned from one of my good friends and I have wrecked dozens and dozens of leaders. I am a visual and hands on learner, so I don't know if there is much I can do to explain without actually seeing what you are doing. I know that there is a happy medium between under-twisting and over-twisting the thread or mono.

I think one of the best resources to check out is the furled leader forum - http://furledleaders.proboards.com/

But beware, those guys take furled leaders to a scientific level that can be dizzying (and a bit ridiculous). Having said that, there are quite a few beginner threads on there that can be helpful. It's a bit like tying flies in that once you find a formula that you like, practice over and over again to get it perfect.

Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any specific questions and I can try to help you out.

I also sell those furled leaders on my site - http://azwanderings.com/shop/
And here's a little blurb I wrote up about the ones that I tie up - http://azwanderings.com/furled-leaders/

Ben
AZWanderings

Postby AZWanderings » May 21st, 2013, 8:39 am

briansII wrote:Key points. Make sure the mono is stretched and relatively straight. When twisting, use light pressure at the pinch, like the video suggests. Too much pressure and you get uneven twists. Don't try and get the twists very tight. There's definitely a balance of too loose, or too tight. Keep the two loose ends, behind the pinch, away from each other so they don't tangle. That's it. After stretching, it only takes a few minutes to twist one up. I add a #10, Spro Power Swivel to my tippet end, to help keep the big topwater flies from twisting my twisted leader.......if that makes any sense?

Good info. I find it really tough to explain in words, right? Much easier to see it.

Ben
AZWanderings

Postby RiverRat » May 21st, 2013, 8:43 am

Good endeavor but they last so long it's worth it to buy them from an expert maker.
I started using them on the crystal clear Quilcene river with 16 foot leaders and now for big bugs on the bass rod.

shane
RiverRat

Postby Bajacamp » May 21st, 2013, 10:15 am

Sorry about the spelling sometimes I'm all thumbs on the key board. I do mean Furled leaders. Thanks for all the Info gentlemen....Fred
Bajacamp

Return to General Fly Fishing