REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Here it is....the 2013 shootout.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Here it is....the 2013 shootout.

Postby k9mark » April 28th, 2013, 8:53 pm

"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Re: Here it is....the 2013 shootout.

Postby Jimbo Roberts » April 29th, 2013, 10:00 am

The testers in this shootout always seem to gravitate towards rods with softer tips. They seem to have a bias that primarily suits dryfly fishing. And that is fine if you want a dryfly rod first and a nymph rod second. That is where I think they lose their way, as most of us fishing bigger rivers will spend more time using a flyrod for indicator nymph fishing, then as a dry/dropper rod, before a pure dryfly fishing rod. I can not imagine using a Sage Finesse and throwing an indicator rig all day with some weight. I will agree that at short distances with drys this rod is amazing, but at 40-50' with a strike indicator some split shot and 2 nymphs this rod would fail. The Loomis NRX LP has an incredibly soft tip, just look at their own deflection board. This is a dryfly rod same as the Tom Morgon rod.

This is not to say that I don't like dryfly rods. I do! In fact I have many like the Graphite III Sage LL rods, especially the 486, 389, or 379, they still impress me. Even the older Loomis GLX rods 490 and 590 make great dryfly rods. Also Sage's SPL's in 1 and 2 weights are still some of the best light weight shorter lenght rods ever in my opinion, more so than their newer TXLs. And Orvis Superfine Touch especially under 8 feet in 2,3, and 4wts are great small water close in rods. I have a collection of shorter and lighter weight flyrods that are reserved for dryfly fishing smaller streams and creeks and I wouldn't part with them.

Now I have not used many of these rods. I have yet to use a Hardy rod, they maybe good I don't know, but I do agree that the Loop Opti Stream, Orvis H2, and St. Croix Legend Elite rods are better than many for the type of fishing I generally do. And I still vey leery of any Scott graphite rod. I have seen too many of their internal spicate ferrules fail while fighting fish and even just casting. Now if you like soft slow fiberglass rods their F2 has many fans.

I myself like stiffer rods with more tip strenght because of my tendency to nymph fish first. That said I am disappointed with Sage's new One rod. I am a Sage fanboy no doubt, but I think their XPs (386, 476, 490, 590, 690) and Z Axis (especially my go to big water 5100 for nymph fishing) were better all-round rods. The new 690 One that I own is just too stiff and takes almost a full weight heavier flyline to perform at anything under 30'. Now it is fine at greater distances and I think it very accurate there, but it's better at big flys, sinking lines, than putting a #18 BWO on target at 25'.

I guess it boils down to what you do as to which rod should win these contests and ultimately sway you into a purchase. I think if this was titled a dryfly rod shootout I would give this article more crediblity, but as a all-round flyrod shootout, for me, they fall short for that designation.

Then again I am but one opinion and if everybody liked just one thing there would be far fewer types of rods offered. So that's my disclaimer, you don't have to agree with me.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby briansII » April 29th, 2013, 10:04 am

Yeah! :bananadance:

briansII ;)
briansII

Postby Baughb » April 29th, 2013, 10:16 am

Cool info, I always enjoy reading about their criteria and comparisons.

On another note, the winner is 3 times more expensive then the Sage LL I bought years ago and still serves me well. Everything gets more expensive so I'll keep taking care of my gear.

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby fly addict » April 29th, 2013, 11:05 am

Lucky for us there are a lot of rods that are available from various rod manufactures to choose from. The hard part is determining which one suits your style, budget, and needs. George Anderson is doing something that may or may not help you make that choice. If your favorite rod makes a high score in his shoot-out, you’re happy if not, you’re displeased. The very minimum is his shoot-out is always interesting to read.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Pete » April 29th, 2013, 11:24 am

I was surprised when plastic rods hit the $1000 mark. Now there are two, on the list, topping $1300 :crazy: . Think I'll stick with Bamboo and Fiberglass ;).

Don't know I still think when it comes to the performance testing categories that all the rods shouldn't be painted black and assigned a number. Then, I wonder if some of the other rods might not make the cut.

Pete
Pete

Postby midger » April 29th, 2013, 5:48 pm

fly addict wrote: If your favorite rod makes a high score in his shoot-out, you’re happy if not, you’re displeased. The very minimum is his shoot-out is always interesting to read.

Mark

Whether or not my rod was on their list has never impacted me one way or the other. I know what I prefer and the price of the rod (or blank) usually isn't a determining factor in the least. Seems like rods that Anderson carries usually finish pretty high in the rack and stack. Wonder why? ;)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby stanbery » April 29th, 2013, 11:29 pm

Did anyone else notice this bad workman ship?

I like these comments as well.

Guess who?
Here's a some of the funnier comments I heard either down at the park while casting or here in the shop while writing everything up. Not wanting to roast anyone's hard work too badly, we didn't included any of these. See if you can guess which rod goes with each statement...

The only time you’ll see George throwing one of these rods is into the garbage.

I hate it.

Man, this is the worst rod I’ve ever cast. I’d litterally rather own a $39 walmart rod.

Clunk is more like it.

All this rod can do is go long.

Ha – Good luck! At lease you’ll land the fish…

They should have called it the miss stick.

They should use this rod as a finish line in a monster truck competition.

This rod even smells bad!

I'd rather break this rod over my knee than cast it.

I wouldn't sell one of these at cost to a spring creek snagger.

Even at a time when I would pretty much do anyting that was put in front of me, I still wouldn't take this rod home.

The only thing this rod would be good for is hanging your curtains.

I wouldn't even let you in my boat with that rod.

General Awards:
Best all around 5 weight: Loop Opti Stream or Hardy Zenith

Best small dry fly rod for the Henry’s Fork: NRX LP

Best reel seat: Tom Morgan, Burkheimer, Winston

Best Cork handle: Burkheimer

Best reel seat on a less expensive rod: Traveler II

Best paint jobs: AMP, Winston BIIIx and BIIIsx, Sage ONE

Stiffest rod in test: Clutch TT

Softest rod in test: Sage Circa

Thinnest rod in test: Sage Circa

Lightest Overall weight: Orvis Helios

Lightest swing weight (feel in hand): Tom Morgan

Smoothest / Most Soul: Tom Morgan or Hardy Artisan

Heaviest Overall: BIIIsx

Heaviest Swing weight: BIIIsx

Quickest warranty (by experience): TFO

Longest return warranty (by exerpience) Sage or Winston

Most expensive warranty: Tom Morgan, Hardy Artisan

Cheapest Warranty: TFO

Best rod to use as a weapon incase a burgler breaks in: BIIIsx or Clutch

A face only a mother could love: Pro 4X

Best inexpensive dry fly only rod: Echo Edge or Mystic Reaper that didn't make it into the shootout!

Best with heavy nymphs and streamers: Loop, Hardy Zenith

Best inexpensive rod with nymphs and streamers: Mystic Reaper, BVK or XF2

Best long distance rod: BIIIsx, Redington Link

Slowest action: Burkheimer Classic and Burkheimer DAL

Rug beater award: BIIIsx, Clutch, Traveler II

Most unique action: Mystic Maveryck

Shortest: Tom Morgan (8’6”)

Longest Mystic Maveryck (9’3”)

Best hand writing: Tom Morgan, Winston BIIIx and BIIIsx

Doctor’s Handwriting: Clutch

Best rod alignment style: Winston

Best Guides: Hardy

Biggest tip top: Traveler II

Coolest rod tube: Tom Morgan

Worst Rod tube: TFO (have to buy it for additional $29.95)

Nicest rod sock: Tom Morgan

Best wraps on guides: Hardy Artisan, Tom Morgan, Burkheimer

Most inspiring: Tom Morgan

Least expensive: Grey’s GRXi+

Most Traditional: Burkheimers

Buttery Smooth: Tom Morgan, Hardy Artisan

Hopper canon at 50 feet: Sage ONE, Hardy Zentih, Loop Optistream

Fastest Action: BIIIx, Legend Elite, or Echo Edge

Pleasantly Surprised: AMP, Loop Optistream, NRX LP, Grey’s XF2, Mystic Reaper

Disappointing: BIIIsx, Clutch, Mystic Maveryck, Traveler II

Rod I wish we had tested: Mystic Reaper
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29