REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Do you carry more than one rod?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Do you carry more than one rod?

Postby Jim T » January 6th, 2009, 4:08 pm

Here are a few commercially available holders, all of which can be "worn" but none of which specifically carry a broken down rod:

http://www.thereelcreel.com/index.html
http://www.floatntote.com/Content/Product%20Pages/Rod%20Holder.asp
http://www.fishing-catalog.com/Polemate/rodmate.htm
http://2catchfish.com/store/info.php/id/904
http://www.angleroutfitters.com/feature0704.php

I think I'll try using my small fanny pack as a "reel creel" with a velcro loop on the shoulder of my vest (similar to the one on the front) as a proof of concept.

Jim
Jim T

Postby Sasha » January 6th, 2009, 4:25 pm

Chris Kuhn wrote:No but I probably should. Nymphing with a 6' 3 wt is a major hassle. But I still manage to get it done.

There was one time this past year when I should have had a second rod for nymphing but I did not bring it with me. This was at a place that I had fished 100% dry fly, but this day only nymphs were working (it was late NOV and the water was very cold). Trust me nymphing with a 000WT sucks :lol:
Sasha

Postby briansII » January 6th, 2009, 5:27 pm

Jim T wrote:Here are a few commercially available holders, all of which can be "worn" but none of which specifically carry a broken down rod:

http://www.thereelcreel.com/index.html
http://www.floatntote.com/Content/Product%20Pages/Rod%20Holder.asp
http://www.fishing-catalog.com/Polemate/rodmate.htm
http://2catchfish.com/store/info.php/id/904
http://www.angleroutfitters.com/feature0704.php

I think I'll try using my small fanny pack as a "reel creel" with a velcro loop on the shoulder of my vest (similar to the one on the front) as a proof of concept.

Jim

Thanks Jim. The Reel Creel was the one I had seen before. If you breakdown the rod in 1/2, it seems like it would work OK on the stream.

briansII
briansII

Postby Danny McB » January 6th, 2009, 5:29 pm

I do and it is nice to have two rods with me but I have never found a good way of carrying them so at times it really just becomes a burden. If there was a cheap and easy way like you guys are talking about I would be all over it.

Danny
Danny McB

Postby Nav » January 6th, 2009, 7:40 pm

I fish in crowded areas, that way if I need a second rod I can just " take" one from someone else ;)
Nav

Postby strohble » January 6th, 2009, 8:52 pm

I almost always fish with a single rod. I've got braided speed loops on the end of my fly lines so if a hatch comes up I can switch leaders and over to dries or streamers realtively quickly. I generally use a 5 wt. rod for all around fishing, nymphs, dries, etc but if I know I'll be fishing dries for the day i'll take a lighter rod that's more appropriate for the conditions. On drifts I'll always take two rods along.
There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. –Steven Wright

Read more: http://www.gofishn.com/gofishn/7005-gre ... z2I9yew2Iw
Follow us: GoFISHn on Facebook
strohble

Postby Papasequoia » January 6th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Great replies, those carry tubes look interesting. I did not carry two rods with me today, since it was much more windy than predicted (frickin' weatherman never gets it right) and the water was so cold that I had a hunch there would not be a major hatch, which turned out to be true. I did try to switch over several times between nymphs and streamers (which I hate to do), but all of the fish were on nymphs. I'm not sure what I am more lazy about doing: carrying two rods and having to wade back and get one all the time, or switch between dries, nymphs and streamers with one rod (which is hard to do anyway). This is probably the main reason I fish streamers so rarely.

Btw, I'm glad there were no cameras rolling the day I tried to use the velcro tab on an old vest of mine that was labeled a "rod holder" tab. Not being sure how it was supposed to function, I tucked the butt of the rod into a loop that was on the bottom of the vest, crossed the rod across my chest and closed the rod holder tab over it. Let's just say that between the low hanging branches and the errant casts that it was comic flyfishing opera at its best. That was one of those days that I was glad I was fishing alone: no witnesses! :lol: Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Chris Kuhn » January 6th, 2009, 11:29 pm

Sasha wrote:
Chris Kuhn wrote:No but I probably should. Nymphing with a 6' 3 wt is a major hassle. But I still manage to get it done.

There was one time this past year when I should have had a second rod for nymphing but I did not bring it with me. This was at a place that I had fished 100% dry fly, but this day only nymphs were working (it was late NOV and the water was very cold). Trust me nymphing with a 000WT sucks :lol:

My arm got tired just thinking about it.

I think the short length is the worst part. I rarely nymph very far from where I am standing. But mending line with a 6'er is a pain in the tuckus.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Flyjunkie » January 7th, 2009, 8:04 am

Craig & Jim T.,

Thanks for the Heads up on what is already out there... The One I'm working on (been sketching pictures at home in the evening) will be along the lines of the Orvis one, in that the rod will be encased in some protective Cloth.. not exposed to the elements.. This provides better support for the rod section and keeps the ends together. It will be fairly lightweight. and will have a Shoulder strap that you can sling over one shoulder in a way that the rod will extend off from your "Non Casting Arm" Shoulder and be out of the way of your Casting stroke. I have decided that one will carefully insert the Rod into a kind of "Rod Condom" and after it's inserted You carefully separate the Rod in half and simply fold the Tip end down to the Reel seat and Handle. using Velcro Straps, one will carefully anchor the Tip section against the Butt section. the Shoulder Strap will be permanently attached to the Base section (where the Reel seat is at) but will be adjustable up the Rod.. This way there will be No long strap going all the way to the Top of the bottom half of the Rod.. (one will look like a Soldier from WW2 with a Portable Radio on his Back.. the Antenna being the rod)... sorry if this Description sounds weird...but I think it's gonna work Great... I am thinking for Protection and Light weight, the Sling will be made of Neoprene....

Gotta go get some Neoprene, the glue for it, Shoulder straps and Velcro and Cut loose sometime soon...

Then Go thru field Testing and the inevitable "Ironing out the Bugs" routine... :roll:

I'll post my Progress...... :? ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Sasha » January 7th, 2009, 9:25 am

Chris Kuhn wrote:
Sasha wrote:

My arm got tired just thinking about it.

I think the short length is the worst part. I rarely nymph very far from where I am standing. But mending line with a 6'er is a pain in the tuckus.

I have used my 1WT to nymph with before with good results. That day I only had my 000WT with me as I was planning on only fishing dries. When my friends starting catching fish nymphing I decided to give it a try with the only rod I had with me.
Sasha

Postby rayfound » January 7th, 2009, 9:35 am

Flyjunkie wrote:Craig & Jim T.,

Thanks for the Heads up on what is already out there... The One I'm working on (been sketching pictures at home in the evening) will be along the lines of the Orvis one, in that the rod will be encased in some protective Cloth.. not exposed to the elements.. This provides better support for the rod section and keeps the ends together. It will be fairly lightweight. and will have a Shoulder strap that you can sling over one shoulder in a way that the rod will extend off from your "Non Casting Arm" Shoulder and be out of the way of your Casting stroke. I have decided that one will carefully insert the Rod into a kind of "Rod Condom" and after it's inserted You carefully separate the Rod in half and simply fold the Tip end down to the Reel seat and Handle. using Velcro Straps, one will carefully anchor the Tip section against the Butt section. the Shoulder Strap will be permanently attached to the Base section (where the Reel seat is at) but will be adjustable up the Rod.. This way there will be No long strap going all the way to the Top of the bottom half of the Rod.. (one will look like a Soldier from WW2 with a Portable Radio on his Back.. the Antenna being the rod)... sorry if this Description sounds weird...but I think it's gonna work Great... I am thinking for Protection and Light weight, the Sling will be made of Neoprene....

Gotta go get some Neoprene, the glue for it, Shoulder straps and Velcro and Cut loose sometime soon...

Then Go thru field Testing and the inevitable "Ironing out the Bugs" routine... :roll:

I'll post my Progress...... :? ;)

Sounds like a plan. this is how people end up getting rich Dean.

I made a similar sounding rod sling about 5-6 years ago, but it didn't have any protection for the reel. I wonder if I still have it somewhere...

It was made of sch40 PVC pipe though, and it was heavy - I made it just for biking on the WF.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Papasequoia » January 7th, 2009, 9:35 am

Dean said rod condom (snicker). ;)
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby briansII » January 20th, 2009, 5:26 pm

I know this is a bit late, but I just ran across a great idea to carry a 2nd rod from another forum. It probably doesn't require you to buy anything. Most of us probably have a nylon shoulder strap off of a old duffle bag. Most likely it's removeable, with clips on both ends. With the rod assymbled, clip one end of the strap to the reel frame, and the other to the stripping guide. Sling the rod diagonally across your back, so the rod tip is on your off casting side. The strap will be across the front of your body. Obviously this will only work in open areas. To make it less prone to hanging up on stuff, keep the rod rigged and ready, but break it down in 1/2. Reel up the loose line/leader, and use 2 rubber bands....or whatever, to hold the pieces together.

Presto! Free rod carrier. Anyone that uses it, and is happy with it, owes me a beer. If anyone breaks their rod, reel, or pulls a stripping guide off, can skip the beer.

briansII, LLC ;)
briansII

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing