REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Busted Butt Creek......The Epilog

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Busted Butt Creek......The Epilog

Postby Dry Fly Rie » December 19th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Bob-
I'm really glad you are doing better and feeling like yourself. Now go out and catch a hubcap gill and post its picture so I can get my fix.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby teejay » December 19th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Bob, after taking a couple falls myself this year, I am considering trading in my waders for a deep sea diving suit. :)
Glad you're back in action!
teejay

Postby Rob909 » December 19th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Very glad you are doing better Bob :)

Rob
Rob909

Postby Pete » December 20th, 2012, 5:52 am

Nothing better than feeling better. WOOHOO I have been using a wading staff for years. Saved my butt more than once. Justify carrying it by putting some really long liars marks on the staff and claim that your rod just didn't look right with the longer marks.

Pete
Pete

Postby WadeK » December 20th, 2012, 9:29 am

Bob,
Glad your back and not CRAZY . Try not to bounce your melon off any more rocks or you might be permanently :Idiot: or ZZZ . We don't want that. I want to go FISHING with the normal you. Hope to see you out there. Maybe we can share a FIRE or DRINK .

TL
Wade
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby DrCreek » December 20th, 2012, 10:56 am

Glad you're still alive. I never would have been able to get the time off work had you kicked it. :bananadance:
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby FlyinFish » December 20th, 2012, 11:03 am

I was just starting to think you'd been off the radar for a while. Good to have you back in full fighting form. No shame in carrying a staff and taking it slow. I have a solid staff and also use a collapsible trekking pole. I wade super slow and double, triple check every step before I make it.

Wearing down my boots was a boiling-a-frog type process. I never realized how worn down they had gotten, because it happened so slowly. I thought I was just fishing slipperier places, lol.

Can't wait to see some fast water winter locals fish you guys pull out!
FlyinFish

Postby bassman » December 20th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Being a new guy here I didn't read about your earlier crash test. Guess you lost tho. Quick story is I haven't done much wading in years. Now that I'm starting too again I'm wondering about some of the new boots. Back when we trekked the streams of MN, WI, and MI we used to begin with felt, then as it got cut up and worn down just pliobond indoor outdoor carpeting to the soles. You'd instantly know the ones with rubber cleats (old style) since they'd be slipping and sliding while we walked around on almost any rocks with ease (and youth).

Now that felt is out in many places I worry about the grip of the new style boots, and those with studs. I have bought a walking stick and plan to use it when wading in waters of serious flow and slippery bottoms. Where felt is allowed I still think it is the safest and best sole yet for moving.

So, without knowing much about your fall, it sounds like you gave yourself a pretty serious WHACK and spent some time in that otherworldly dimension a concussion can cause. I've enjoyed that world for a short time a couple of times and really don't want to revisit again. At 68 my balance and dexterity is not what it was at 28.
bassman

Postby beachbum » December 21st, 2012, 2:07 pm

Great to hear you are back to your usual self, Bob! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and the family!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Eric » December 21st, 2012, 5:44 pm

Bob that sure is some great news. You will get used to using a wading staff full time. I never kit a stream any longer without one.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New years to you and the family
Eric
Eric

Postby RichardCullip » December 21st, 2012, 7:56 pm

Now that Bob is recovered and the concussion symptoms are gone, I can finally ask a silly question that's been bouncing around my head. Putting all seriousness aside, anybody have an idea on how Bob can fall down, bust his butt and get a concussion?

Perhaps his head is up his ...... ;) ;) ;)

sorry Bob, I just couldn't resist.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby DrCreek » December 22nd, 2012, 4:34 pm

I know for sure that I had left a reply here for you. No idea where THAT one went. Without re-writing the whole thing I'll say that I'm glad you're okay - particularly because airlifts by helicopter are EXPENSIVE.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Wildman » December 22nd, 2012, 4:52 pm

Bob-
It is indeed good to see you back and posting. I have been using a staff ever since Mark Allen made me one (no doubt after seeing me flounder around without one). It has saved my bacon more then one time and really gives me a feeling of confidence having two points of contact at all times. We attach it to ourselves with bungee cord and just let it float behind when we're not using it. Tom uses one as well but it's the fancier folding model.

Looking forward to using two of them in about 15 years.......
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing