REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fly-Fishing Related Resources

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fly-Fishing Related Resources

Postby Dry Fly Rie » December 6th, 2012, 12:38 am

I love to read about anything related to fly fishing and the places people fish. Magazines, books, blogs, newsletters...whatever I can get my hands on. With that being said, I often find myself paging through old copies of whatever I have on hand. I'm pretty sure I've memorized where every single fish was caught in the photo section of the 2012 Eastern Sierra Fishing Guide because I've looked it over about a hundred times. Also, I almost got banned from my local Sports Authority after having a borderline meltdown when I discovered they got rid of the "free publication" newsstand and I wouldn't be able to get the Summer copy of Mammoth Sierra Magazine.

Anyway, I was thinking it would be cool to have a post where people shared any sources of good reading material for others to take a look at. It can be magazines they subscribe to, a free publication you can sign up for or get at a sporting goods store, or even an interesting favorite blog or website. Obviously, if the resource is secret, or gives out too much info, then this would not be a good place to list it. I know I would personally love to find out some more sources of info and perspectives on this hobby I love and other topics related to it (entomology, hiking, water rights, Sierra history and geography, etc...)

To get the list started, I want to recommend a magazine called Motor Touring in the Eastern Sierra including Death Valley.

It's a free publication available in many stores throughout the Eastside. It's got some great stories about the history of Inyo and Mono counties, as well as scenic drives to several cool locations.
Dry Fly Rie

Re: Fly-Fishing Related Resources

Postby Bernard » December 6th, 2012, 8:42 am

Nice idea.
I think the stuff that is "sorta related" is the most fun. You know, like looking through a photo gallery online and seeing a lake behing the hot model and seeing a fish etc. The following is one of my favorite sources of interesting stories. It isn't always too helpful with locations but it gives a variety of neat outdoor data and isn't necessarily propoganda: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/ocal/. Yep, an old fashioned print magazine. Let me add one more for this entry: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/ <- kayakers and river freaks often travel through more remote sections of rivers and can help offer us, the angling fanatics, logistical and other insights.
B
Bernard

Postby RichardCullip » December 6th, 2012, 10:27 am

It's typically not much of a resource but I do like seeing fly fishing mentioned in novels that I read. I read quite a bit of fiction, especially now that I'm retired, and enjoy it when characters in a book I'm reading do a bit of fly fishing. Right now I'm reading thru a series of books by John Sandford in which his main character, Virgil Flowers, works as an investigator for the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. Virgil Flowers typically has a fly rod packed away in his vehicle and likes to get out fishing whenever the opportunity presents itself. Having these novels set in Minnesota, my home state, is an extra special bonus. Earlier this summer, I read my way thru a series of novels by C.J. Box in which his main character, Joe Pickett, is a Wyoming Game Warden who stumbles around the state solving crimes. Joe Pickett also likes to squeeze in some fly fishing while out and about the great state of Wyoming.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby RiverRat » December 6th, 2012, 1:04 pm

I subscribe to www.HookedNow.com. A quartlerly newsletter put out by Rick Hafele, Skip Morris, and Dave Hughes, awesome.

Way better in its depth an shared knowledge than any magazine on the market.

shane
RiverRat

Postby Dry Fly Rie » December 6th, 2012, 4:21 pm

RichardCullip wrote:Right now I'm reading thru a series of books by John Sandford in which his main character, Virgil Flowers

I love Sandford's writing. "That F_____ing Flowers!" LOLO Great reads. I personally enjoy his Prey series a ton. Good stuff.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby Dry Fly Rie » December 7th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Good stuff, guys.

Jon-
Thanks for all of the links and info.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby bassman » December 12th, 2012, 10:54 pm

RichardCullip wrote: by John Sandford in which his main character, Virgil Flowers, works as an investigator for the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. Virgil Flowers typically has a fly rod packed away in his vehicle and likes to get out fishing whenever the opportunity presents itself. Having these novels set in Minnesota, my home state, is an extra special bonus...

Tell me, for the other 9 months of the year in MN does he pack an ice auger? LOLO Selling my snowblower and power auger when I retired from MN/DOT and moved was a wonderful day, tho I do miss the streams and lakes for sure, just not the winters.
bassman

Return to General Fly Fishing