REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

HOLIDAY FUNDRAISING AUCTION IS OVER!!!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

HOLIDAY FUNDRAISING AUCTION IS OVER!!!

Postby WanderingBlues » November 24th, 2012, 10:55 am

I'll be locking the thread as of 8PM PST. A HUGE thanks to all who participated, as well as to those who sent in $$ just help the cause.

Tomorrow AM, I'll post all the winners and PM the seller/buyer's as to where to send funds, or to use a paypal account. It's up to you guys to determine how best to ship or exchange the item(s).

Again, thank you so much for helping and helping Holidays! BRAVO

WB
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: HOLIDAY FUNDRAISING AUCTION

Postby WanderingBlues » November 24th, 2012, 11:05 am

Item #1
Mixed media woodcut titled "Simple Times." 11x14 rustic framed artwork. Early 1950's post card depicting flyfishing in Yosemite Valley. Floated on vintage ledger paper, circa 1917, with a classic Royal Coachman Fly. Fly reel woodcut block print on archival gallery mat done with Akua Intaglio Ink. This is a 1/1 edition only by little known artist, me.... Gallery price estimate would be $125-$150.00.

Opening Bid: $40.00
$52.00 to Treecatcher
$60 to Pete
Latest Bid: $65 to Treecatcher

180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby tomsakai » November 25th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Item # 2:

Here is my contribution. Minimum bid $50. Local pickup in OC or shipping cost is additional.

William Joseph "Escape" Chest/Backpack
Bought it but never used it. I'm sure this is just the thing for someone!

Lots of pockets and hydration compatible backpack, compression straps, stowable mesh sling for exterior wet items storage, excellent suspension frame to keep the back cool, super adjustable with waist strap.

Chest pockets include tippet caddy, double foam fly panels, fly box pockets, built in double retractors, the works!

[Description and photos are from another posting.]

Opening Bid: $50.00
Latest Bid: $80 to Rasputinj

tomsakai

FLYBOX and FLIES

Postby midger » November 27th, 2012, 4:19 pm

Here we have a NEW C and F Flybox in its original package (in case you wanted it for a gift for someone else). The picture shows a model CF1507 which has 7 rows of microslit foam on each side. This model has slots for 329 flies and is best for sizes 16 and smaller. Check out C & F Boxes at:

http://www.candfdesign.com/products/61890

Opening Bid: $5

CURRENT BID: $12--bassman(Nick)

BUYER can also elect to get the CF1506 (6/6, 262 FLIES, Sizes 12-24); model CF1505 (5/5, 235 FLIES sizes 10-20), or Model CF1504 (4/4, 180 FLIES, sizes 10-16). Just let me know which you want at end of auction.Image

Next we have 50 flies. This is an assortment of patterns that would work well on the Upper or Lower Owens, Kern, East Walker, etc. Get ready for this winter's fishing.

Opening Bid: $5

CURRENT BID: $50--Dray (Darrin)

Last we have my favorite go to Lower Owens midge pattern--The Bead Head Zebra. I use them in brown/copper beadhead and black/silver beadhead in sizes 18-24. This auction is for 2 dozen flies--your choice of sizes. The picture shows them in sizes 18-22. I'm selling 3 sets of these, or 6 dozen flies. Just let me know colors and sizes you want at auction close.

Note-These flies are as close as a guarantee to catching a fish on the Owens as you get. These are worth their weight in gold! Jim

Opening bid: $5 for 2 dozen flies.

Lot 1: CURRENT BID: $15--Wildman(Jim)

Lot 2: CURRENT BID: $20--brianII (Brian)

Lot 3: CURRENT BID: $20--Gary Pulling

"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

3 Day Pack Trip

Postby Wildman » November 30th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Here's my contribution....three days in the back country with me and my horses for two people. You walk, I ride and the horses pack your stuff.

I'll have two pack horses and about 225lbs of dunnage that can be carried. Ever want to take a float tube back there or have a real chair to sit around the camp fire with? Time of year will be August/September of 2013 and somewhere in the Eastern Sierra. For a real treat, we could wait till the leaves turn in the Fall. Whether I stay with you or not depends on the location you choose. Some places in the very high country do not allow horses overnight. In that case, I would pack you in and come back to get you and bring you out (parts of the Golden Trout Wilderness) . The price quoted is for the pack animals only and this is not an all inclusive trip. I'll split food expenses with you. The lousy jokes and cowboy poetry are free.

This could be a lot of fun and a different way of enjoying our wonderful Eastern Sierra.

Opening Bid For A Pack Trip with Wildman $150
Silverlaker/Tom $160
BobK $200
Silverlaker/Tom $300
BobK $350
Silverlaker/Tom $400
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby BobK » November 30th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Jim: Can I pick the spot if it's up here near me, and will your stock pack out a Deer or will they spook at the smell of blood....BobK
BobK

Postby Pete » November 30th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Current bid: BradW $400.00

This package includes a custom 3-4 weight, 2 piece, 7' blonde bamboo rod, "Renaissance Rods" rod tube, rod sock and shipping. Starting bid is $300. Anything over the $300.00 goes to the site fees. Sorry, I just can't afford to donate all the materials right now.

When I say custom, it's your colors, either custom turned aluminum or nickel silver wedding band reel seat hardware, custom reel seat insert, handle and your choice of colors. Agate stripping guide will match the rod colors. I know the starting bid is kind of steep, but this package usually starts at $800.00. FYI the blank is already made and the ferrules are installed. In other words, the rod ought to be ready for the 2013 opener.

Shoot, win Jim's trip with midger's flies, this rod and it will be a great 2013. Just leave the chest/backpack for me :D

Pete
Pete

Postby Autodave » November 30th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Handcrafted Walnut Flybox, 4x6, Free Shipping, $30.00- WINNER... Bassman!

Handcrafted Sapele Flybox, 4x6, Free Shipping, $40.00-WINNER... WanderingBlues!

Autodave

Postby Fishfreak911 » December 2nd, 2012, 1:23 am

I'm going to donate a custom made Sierra Nets Magnetic Net Release. This net release is the very first product I have made from a large coast live oak burl that I saved from a tree yard in Temecula over 2 years ago. The burl was over 2' in dia. I had it milled into slabs and it has been drying in my studio ever since.

Here it is on the mill. This wood is sick!

The release features a hand made Latigo leather strap with a brass Chicago * to hold it in place. There is no hole yet in the strap as it is sized to the net it will be used on. The extra strong rare earth magnet is not like your normal fly shop magnet. This baby is POWERFUL! It is held in place by a copper rivet. The magnet is faced with a thin piece of dark Wenge.

The bidding will begin at $20.00
Opening Bid from Wandering Blues $20.00 THANK YOU!
Bid from Rasputinj $30.00 THANK YOU!
Bid from Wandering Blues $32 .00 THANK YOU!
Current high bid from Rasputinj $38.00 THANK YOU!
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

MORE FLIES------STREAMERS

Postby midger » December 3rd, 2012, 5:51 pm

Seems like things are slowing down. Come on folks, let's get some more money into the FFA coffers.

It's the time of year when trout are readying for winter so they are often looking for big bites of food. Often large streamers will bring up large fish. Here we have 4 slumpbusters, 3 minnow patterns and 5 weighted wooly buggers. The penny is to show relative size.

Opening bid: $10 for 1 dozen flies.

BIDS: $10 Dray (Darrin)
$15 Tom
$25Bassman (Nick)
$30 Dray
$32.50 Bassman (Nick)
Large Streamers-- CURRENT BID:$35.00 Dray (Darrin):

Next we have one of my favorite mini streamers: the conehead mini wooly bugger. Here are a dozen with 3 black, 3 rust, and 6 olives. These are tied on size 14 hooks and they are easy to cast with even a 2-3 weight rod. Fish them with a dead drift through the run like a nymph, then strip them in like a streamer at the end of the glide.

Opening bid: $10 for 1 dozen flies.

Bids: $10 Dray
$15 Gary Pulling
$20 Dray
Micro Buggers-- CURRENT BID: $20 Dray :
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby WanderingBlues » December 3rd, 2012, 6:08 pm

As a teaser for what we'd like to do with some of the income, here's the proposed t-shirt design for our 1st ever FFA t-shirt. Once we purchase the shirts, we'll offer them at very reasonable prices as a means to sustain the site. If it works out, we'll do ball caps as well. The annual auction funds can then go to special events, good deeds, etc. Thanks to all and lets keep it going!

Shown what it might look like on khaki and sage colored t-shirts. FFA.com logo on front, this on back...

180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Eric » December 3rd, 2012, 8:46 pm

Curtis that will make a t-shirt any of us would be proud to wear. BRAVO
Eric
Eric

Postby Fishfreak911 » December 4th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Very cool!
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby lucfish » December 7th, 2012, 5:15 pm

Something I can do to help with the fundraising is invite someone to fish Canyon Lake with me for a half day. Canyon Lake for those who don't know is a private community in So. Cal. with a nice 400 or so acre lake that holds a sizeable population of bass, catfish, carp, crappie and bluegill.

OPENING BID: SILVERLAKER $50.00

DRYFLYRIE $60.00

SILVERLAKER $75.00

CURRENT BID: BOB K. $100.00
Fished last weekend for about four hours with John H. (Flyster), here's a few of what he landed.
average size bass for the lake.

When the rod is that bent over and the line that straight down you know what that means...

Yep, nice cat, spun him around the boat, LOL. LOLO

It's possible to get fish year round here as long as it doens't rain two inches in a day. (Too muddy then)

We would fish out of my boat.

I will provide everything you need to fish, rods, reels, lines and flies and will take care of all fuel costs and permits to fish the lake. We can go only on week-ends as I have to work and even though we can catch fish year round late winter early spring is the probably one of the better times to go. We would target bass but may hook into catfish or crappie depending on what time of year. Could be topwater if you wait till summer otherwise we will have to go subsurface.

My boy with our targeted species.

No opening bid, whatever you want to give to the cause.

OPENING BID: SILVERLAKER $50.00

DRYFLYRIE $60.00

SILVERLAKER $75.00

CURRENT BID: BOB K. $100.00
lucfish

Postby theophilus » December 10th, 2012, 1:01 pm

I'm getting into this late, but Luc's post has opened the door for me to make a somewhat similar offer.

If you have given thought to building your own bamboo fly rod, then perhaps a course of one-on-one instruction would interest you. How does this sound?

I will provide all the material- cane, components (that we will machine together), glues and varnishes. You will use my tools,with my guidance, in my shop, to take the process from a raw culm of bamboo to a finished, 2 tip fly rod of your taper choice.

The schedule and time required can be worked out to suit you, since I am building rods full time now. For instance, when we split the cane for your rod, I would also split for my upcoming orders. When we are ready to machine the ferrules for yours, I will schedule ferrule making for mine, and so on.

From start to finish a rod takes me about 60 hours, not including time spent at different steps with drying and curing. So this would mean more than a few trips to my Temecula home.

If you are interested, I did an abbreviated tutoial some time ago in the "rod building" section, that you could see, and some examples of finished rods can be found on my website dougdanielflyrods.com.
As Luc said "No opening bid, whatever you want to give to the cause".

And if you have any questions, send me a message,

Doug

Rasputinj....$400
"Everything flows" - Heraclitus
theophilus

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing