REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Busted Butt Creek.........A Sad Update.......

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Busted Butt Creek.........A Sad Update.......

Postby flybob » November 20th, 2012, 6:03 pm

Well as some of you already know, I took a bad fall a little over a week ago on an undisclosed creek.
At the time it all seemed like just another dunking, a little soaked, a little bruise on the shoulder and a seemingly insignificant bean to the head. I shook it off, with only severe damage to my pride, made the grueling trek out of the canyon, thanked my guide for an awsome day, and went home to a great dinner.
As the week progressed, I started to have these little nagging headaches, nothing bad, just annoying. Well I woke up Monday and went to work, the headache was worse, but more importantly, I seemed to be in a fog all day, I had no problem concentrating on my work, but every time I got up an took a break, it all seemed a bit fuzzy. I told myself that I would give it one more day, if things did not improve it would be time to seek help. I awoke this morning at my usual...Don't LOOK JON! 3:30AM, and my head was pounding....That was it! I slept for another two hours, told Mrs. Flybob I was going to Urgent Care. YUP.....Concussion! Just without the nasty vertigo and nausea, thank goodness for that. However, if the symptoms continue to worsen, I am told to go directly to the ER and get a CT Scan.....Let's hope it does not come to that. There are no meds for a concussion, you just have to ride it out and hope for the best.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know to be careful out there, it can happen to any of us, quickly and without warning.....I just hope Mrs. Flybob does not insist on a helmet along with my shin guards! :lol:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: Busted Butt Creek.........A Sad Update.......

Postby Papasequoia » November 20th, 2012, 6:33 pm

You know, I was going to make a joke about you needing to bring a helmet along with the shin guards next time, but decided not to - apparently Mrs. FB is on board with the idea though! Sorry to hear about the concussion - in hindsight when you see stars underwater it's probably a good idea for a quick check (hindsight is always 20-20). :( I hope you feel better soon!

As for the 3:30 AM wake up -that's the time I usually get up too! Of course, then I pee and go back to bed for a few hours. :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby lucfish » November 20th, 2012, 6:45 pm

Papasequoia wrote:You know, I was going to make a joke about you needing to bring a helmet along with the shin guards next time, but decided not to - apparently Mrs. FB is on board with the idea though! Sorry to hear about the concussion - in hindsight when you see stars underwater it's probably a good idea for a quick check (hindsight is always 20-20). :( I hope you feel better soon!

As for the 3:30 AM wake up -that's the time I usually get up too! Of course, then I pee and go back to bed for a few hours. :lol:

Here's to you feeling better Bob. A concussion is not something to sneeze about. But I have to say, papa that is one ofthe funniest things I have ever read on this forum. The thing is, it's so true. :funnyup:
lucfish

Postby darrin terry » November 20th, 2012, 7:17 pm

Ouch Bob! I hope you get through this quickly. Concussion is nothing to mess with. :shock: Glad you went and got it checked out.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Rob909 » November 20th, 2012, 7:28 pm

I know you won't Bob, but I just want to reiterate not to take the concussion lightly. If something doesn't seem right, go to the doctor.

Hoping you feel better soon. We got fishing to do!

Rob
Rob909

Postby ldr » November 20th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Give yourself the time to get well, Bob. Head banging is over rated.
"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra
ldr

Postby Fishfreak911 » November 20th, 2012, 8:51 pm

ldr wrote:Give yourself the time to get well, Bob. Head banging is over rated.

C'mon Larry! Head bangn's fuuunnnnn.....to AC/DC, Motley Crue and the like! :rockon: :rockon:

Bob, please take care. Hope you speedily recover from this. Happy T/G all!
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby Eric » November 20th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Like the guys said don't mess with your concussion. Listen to your body!!!
Eric
Eric

Postby Dry Fly Rie » November 20th, 2012, 9:58 pm

I hope you feel better soon, Bob. Concussions are no fun. :doh:
Dry Fly Rie

Postby tomsakai » November 20th, 2012, 10:39 pm

Hope this doesn't slow up your awesome energy Bob. Get well soon.
tomsakai

Postby Gary C. » November 20th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Sorry to hear it Bob. I hope you get better fast with no more complications. I am kind of worried about how much damage you did to that poor rock though.
Gary C.

Postby Wildman » November 20th, 2012, 11:39 pm

Bob-as you already know....head trauma is serious business. I often find myself in situations on the water that go gunnysack so quickly. Had one today that came close. I am so glad that you made it through the initial incident and now the real extent and the potential that exists. You have always worked hard to enjoy your fly fishing safely
Looking forward to your first report when you get back on the water.
Jim
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby tenandtwo » November 20th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Oh no, sorry to hear that. It was already nick-named busted head from a different injury. B ad luck that place.
Hope you get better soon.
tenandtwo

Postby Pete » November 21st, 2012, 5:45 am

Vick, Smith, Cutler.... Flybob all in one week. Keeping pretty elite compay there Bob. Difference is they get paid to get hit in the head. I can see you wearing a helmet along with your shin guards ;) . Just glue a patch on it to hold your flies and you are good to go.

Don't over do it there buddy, rest up.

Pete
Pete

Postby WanderingBlues » November 21st, 2012, 7:53 am

I have a new BMX helmet in the garage. I'd like to donate it to the Flybob Concussion Foundation. I'll slap on on Sage, Simms, and Patagonia stickers so it looks cool. I'll even throw in some big eye stickers for the back, in case a mountain lion is stalking you from behind

Because you are Flybob, I have no doubt this will become the de rigeuer item in 2013 for serious blue liners. Seriously, Bob, glad you got checked out and diagnosed. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving my friend!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing