REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

White River Report

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

White River Report

Postby RubiKinda » December 22nd, 2008, 10:37 pm

All I have to say to you guys is you must fish this place before you die. I had what I would call...and most of you guys would too a great day on the river. I lost count of how many fish I caught in the sub-zero weather. I hooked and lost 3 fish that were absolute hogs (28+"). Sorry for the bad photos, it was cold to the extreme.

RubiKinda

Re: White River Report

Postby darrin terry » December 22nd, 2008, 11:12 pm

Yeah!!! Nice fishes there! Bows and browns. Sorry about losing the big beasts, but you still obviously had a great day. Thanks for going halfway across the country to fish and report for us. Very selfless of you. :lol:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby STMFlyGuide » December 23rd, 2008, 12:40 am

Looks like a great trip Chris! Were you mostly tugging the bugs for the tugs? I like the bronzed bows.. I have an opprortunity to do that river and I guess I should take them up on it! Actually Fishden just got back from there a little while ago as well...
Mammoth Lakes Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Shop in Bishop Ca

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
STMFlyGuide

Postby Sasha » December 23rd, 2008, 6:51 am

Great report, it looks nice and cold there. Thanks for sharing even if they are crappy photos ;) ;) ;)
Sasha

Postby fflutterffly » December 23rd, 2008, 6:59 am

The spots on those fish are really brilliant. I believe you must have caught enough fish for all of us... no go get some for yourself.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Danny McB » December 23rd, 2008, 8:54 am

Awsome. Thanks
Danny McB

Postby rayfound » December 23rd, 2008, 9:09 am

Looks like a winter wonderland. Great fly flingin', looks like fun.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Benny » December 23rd, 2008, 10:14 am

Great looking fish :ugeek:
Benny

Postby briansII » December 23rd, 2008, 11:17 am

Looks like an awesome trip. My hands ach just thinking about it. :)

briansII
briansII

Postby fishden » December 23rd, 2008, 8:03 pm

Rubikinda nice job, Where on the White did you fish? What guide service did you use? My friend lives back there, we spent 5 days fishing right before Thanksgiving, two of the days the rods were making ice cubes at noon both days. The report, we fished the stretch below Beaver Dam, app. 7 miles of river, from a small outboard boat, running buggers with full sink lines C/R well over 50 trout per day. Only one brown all the rest rainbows, trout size to 19". It was a blast on the 3 weight rod. We C/R a lot of slot limit fish 13" to 16". CFS this year was 1750, last year CFS was 35. The amount of fish caught, LDR, short strikes and poor technique meant we had a ton of action all 5 days. It is a must do trip for me once a year
fishden
fishden

Postby 1mocast » December 24th, 2008, 1:04 am

WOW! Nice Drool Factor... Add another one to the "Gotta Fish Before You Die List" :P

Thanks for sharing...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby RubiKinda » December 24th, 2008, 2:52 pm

I fished with Clint Wilkenson out off Cotter. He is "The Man" on this river. My trip got cut short due to weather, and the day I did get to fish ended with him refusing payment because it was a bad day.(In his eyes). River was running 9200 CFS.
RubiKinda

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » December 25th, 2008, 3:07 am

Awesome!!! You actually went to a trophy trout river and suceeded!! I know my opening statements may sound a little sarcastic or buttholeish but seriously. You sought out trophy trout from a river known to produce them and made it happen! Much Kudos, and awesome fish, that's a job well done!!

IDK about those sub zero temps though, I've got to get over my fear of the cold LOL.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby KRoberts1 » December 26th, 2008, 4:35 pm

Chris,

Looks like a pretty decent trip. Been wanting to do the White, Norfolk and Little Red Rivers for some time. Where did you fly into?

keith
KRoberts1

Postby RubiKinda » December 27th, 2008, 9:36 am

I flew into Kansas City and drove. Mapquest says it is 5 hrs....more like 7-8 due to weather and imbred drivers. In all actuality, It was cold but I've been colder on the E. Walker in Nov. I'm already trying to get a summer trip for 2009 lined up.
RubiKinda

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing