REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

How Low Can You Go? (FF Strategies)

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

How Low Can You Go? (FF Strategies)

Postby flybob » November 13th, 2012, 9:26 am

On a very recent trip, probably post on that later, we found the conditions to be quite challenging, along with the recent cold snap, what would should have been "dry fly heaven" turned into a battle to coax a few fish from their frigid hunkered down positions.

Sure we all love the action of a trout slamming a dry with wild abandon, with an ensuing battle of proper line tension, mixed in with occasional aerial displays.....nothing quite like it! But when they are not cooperating, we have to change up strategies, go deep! On this particular day, after much frustration with near perfect drifts of a SpongeBob, I tied on one of my favorite wet flies and a size B split shot about 6 inches above, tossed it into the air with and enormous ugly loop followed by a huge splash, right in to the base of a plunge, waited about 3 seconds, started my strip and about 2 seconds later.....WHAMO! I was rewarded with this, not a monster, but not a dink either, and it put up a nice fight on the 2wt.

I found this article on fly fishing with split shot, and thought it would be helpful for those that are newer to the sport, obviously you seasoned veterans already know this, but in the spirit of this site and the sharing of knowledge.........hope you find it useful.

What's "Heavy Enough"
Some Thoughts on Split Shot

It's November, and for the most part we fly-fishers must accept the reality that there won't be much dry-fly fishing for the next few months.

Yes, there are exceptions, especially in more southern areas and on tailwaters, where fish can sometimes be found rising in every month of the year. But the exceptions prove the rule. Trout can still be caught, but for the most part we're going to need to fish deeply to catch them.

How deeply, of course, depends on the depth of the water you're fishing. It's not a big challenge to get a fly near the bottom of a knee-deep run. But if you've had the chance to fish in the past few weeks, you may have noticed that trout are absent from many of the shallower places you had been finding them in the summer and early fall. They're in deeper holes now, where the current is less demanding, which suits them because cold water and lack of food causes their metabolism to slow down considerably.

Trout still feed in the winter and will take flies - if you can get the fly deep enough. That brings us to this month's topic - Adding Stuff to Your Leader So You Can Fish Deep.

We all enjoy casting nice, tight loops when our terminal tackle is virtually weightless. Add a string of split shot, however, and out casting becomes something you probably wouldn't want to post on YouTube. In fact, if you add enough weight, it's not fly-casting at all anymore. Fly-casting means you cast the line and the leader and fly go along for the ride. When casting a heavy fly and plenty of lead, you're flinging the weight, which pulls the line behind it as it flies to the target. It's called chuck and duck, and you can do it with a spinning rod if it has the right action.

Nonetheless, if we want to bounce the bottom of a six-foot pool, we need lead. Or lead substitute.
All kinds of sinkers are available for fly line leaders, from the twist-on stuff that used to come in what looked like a matchbook, to the "slinkies" (lengths of paracord hollowed out and stuffed with shot, with a snap at the top for attaching to a three-way swivel) used by Great Lakes steelheaders to reach the bottoms of tributary pools. But regular split shot is probably the best choice for most situations, because it's a simple matter to customize your weight by adding or removing shot.

The key to using split shot properly is being willing to fuss with it until you get it right - that is, adding more if you're not bouncing the bottom and removing some if you move to a shallower lie. This seems obvious, yet it's human nature to prefer fishing to fussing, especially when the weather's below freezing.
If you've got enough shot on your leader to make casting a pain in the neck, you may be tempted to decide you're sufficiently weighted and take your chances. But that might mean your fly is drifting well above the trout's position - too far away for the fish to notice, or even if they do notice it, farther away than wintertime fish are generally willing to go for a snack. That's why it's crucial to feel your fly bumping along a little bit in every cast. Your fly needs to be where the fish are. So don't settle for "pretty heavy" - keep adding shot until you achieve "heavy enough."

Of course, you're bound to get hung up on a regular basis, with your fly catching a drowned limb (or another angler's broken-off snag), or your split shot itself wedging between rocks. Usually this means breaking off your tackle and tying on a new tippet and fly and adding the split shot all over again. More fussing. But when winter fish are holding deep, it's often the only way.

You can help achieve the depth you need with a heavy fly. Weighted patterns like the Copper John or Czech nymphs sink very well on their own and can reduce the amount of shot needed on your cast. Weighted nymphs catch an awful lot of fish every year, both winter and summer, but some anglers don't like them because they find their action in the water too heavy and unrealistic. For these anglers, plenty of split shot and a relatively buoyant nymph like the Pheasant Tail or Hare's Ear is a more effective way to fish.

That great tight loop you cast all summer when trout were rising is long gone. Your loop now is big and round, and where all that lead will land is never quite certain. It's the price you pay for trout (sometimes big trout) when the rivers are cold.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: How Low Can You Go? (FF Strategies)

Postby KRoberts1 » November 13th, 2012, 10:25 am

Casting with a bunch of split shot is never very rewarding; tangled flies, snagged vests or hats, pierced ears, etc. Downstream water haul to a point upstream. Lob city. Fish close.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby flybob » November 13th, 2012, 10:30 am

Kieth, I agree, that is another good way of getting the fly there, the beauty of going deep is that you can fish right above them!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby midger » November 13th, 2012, 1:12 pm

Nah! If you're a true dry fly fisher you'll keep pounding the water in vain with your dries and hope to entice some shivering fish to leave its nice warm lair to inhale your floating fly.

That being said, if you want to catch fish, the article Bob posted will start you on your way to the dark side. Nymph fishing isn't all that hard, and remember, trout consume about 90% of their food subsurface. You do the math on which technique will yield more fish. :lol: :lol:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby 1mocast » November 13th, 2012, 2:20 pm

Dredge the bottom! :bananadance:
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby briansII » November 13th, 2012, 2:32 pm

I think the title should be, "how much split shot and lost flies can you tolerate". :doh:

I used to have a high tolerance level. Not so much anymore.

briansII
briansII

Postby planettrout » November 13th, 2012, 3:01 pm

What's "SPLIT SHOT"....?

I have been using these forever and they don't hang up, hit me in the head, or tangle - like those round or egg thingees and are infinitely adjustable...

PT/TB :rockon:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby NorcalBob » November 13th, 2012, 3:33 pm

You would be amazed what you can do with a switch rod, an Airflo Speydicator line, a big Thingamabobber, two flies, and a bunch of split shot!!! Anyone that thinks you can't cast lead far needs to rethink their approach. :deadhorse:
NorcalBob

Re: How Low Can You Go? (FF Strategies)we

Postby KRoberts1 » November 13th, 2012, 3:49 pm

Bob,

I would agree with if we were fishing the lower Sac or the Trinity or other big waters, but on the lower owens, or East Walker, the two handed rods are way over kill on these smaller streams. But then again, with the added length, one could just reach across and drop the nymphs in the seam.

Keith
KRoberts1

Postby KRoberts1 » November 13th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Tim,

A buck nineteen for twisties??? How long have you been carrying those around??? Speaking of "old school". :D

Keith
KRoberts1

Postby briansII » November 13th, 2012, 4:40 pm

NorcalBob wrote:You would be amazed what you can do with a switch rod, an Airflo Speydicator line, a big Thingamabobber, two flies, and a bunch of split shot!!! Anyone that thinks you can't cast lead far needs to rethink their approach. :deadhorse:

Bob,

I was right there with you...... :rockon: Until you said, "Thingamabobber". :oops: ;) ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby planettrout » November 13th, 2012, 5:04 pm

KRoberts1 wrote:Tim,

A buck nineteen for twisties??? How long have you been carrying those around??? Speaking of "old school". :D

Keith

I bought 'em by the carton at Culver's, in Bishop...anything with lead (brass, powder,and primers) went through the roof years ago...Don't ask... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PT/TB :funnyup:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Jimbo Roberts » November 13th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Our fishery on the Guadalupe here in Texas, if you are not fishing nymphs you will miss out on 95% of the action.
I began back in the 70's swinging soft hackles on sinktip lines. Then, sometime in the late 70's, GBRA dropped the flows so much I could not use the sinktip line. I thought I might as well try my floating line that I had been using exclusively for fishing dryflys. I tied on my soft hackles and gave it a go. And it worked fabulously. Now I didn't invent nymph fishing with floating lines, but I had discovered it. Later I started using all sorts of nymphs on long leaders with and without split shot on floating lines when the flows are low. Later I discovered umpqua roll-on indicators fishing in Montana in the late 80's, then turn-ons, and finally thingamabobbers. I still use turn-ons esepcially when fishing streamers.
And another trick I learned while dead drifting double nymph rigs was using 2 indicators about 6" apart. By doing this it will help you understand what your submerged leader and flys are doing. The 2 indicators will point in the direction of your submerged leader and flys. This will help by letting you know when you are getting a drag free drift and your flys are passing through the intended spot.
Then of course the Czech/Euro nymphing techniques came along and that's a hole different strategy.
As far as weight goes I tried twist ons (lead strips) but generally prefered split shot and sometimes putty. I find split shot the easiest to adjust. You can also string out the placement of shot or put in on spot for different techniques. Closer to the fly for high fast flows and further from the flys for more subtle presentations. I also always rap the tippet around the shot and through the pinch groove twice to help keep it on and in place.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby meb » November 13th, 2012, 6:16 pm

by midger » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:12 pm

Nah! If you're a true dry fly fisher you'll keep pounding the water in vain with your dries and hope to entice some shivering fish to leave its nice warm lair to inhale your floating fly.

That's what I do, but I didn't think Midger would tell everyone.

Mark
meb

Postby Flatsix » November 13th, 2012, 6:52 pm

I've never been great at dry fly fishing but I do pretty well with a beadhead, Thingamabobber and a single split shot. The trick is to limit your casting just past where you think the fish are located, getting the right depth and drift as quick as possible then at the end of the drift, in one motion casting back to where you started. Adjust your depth as necessary until you find the fish and don't overcast. I think that people get in trouble when they use multiple split shot, or try to fish a 2 fly set up or both.
Flatsix

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing