REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Road Trip 2008 Questions

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Road Trip 2008 Questions

Postby mtnguru » December 17th, 2008, 6:47 pm

Hey Addicts,
So Sheriff Joe and I are going for a bit of a road trip, departing sunny San Diego Friday evening. Our destination will be somewhere near the Utah/Arizona border. We have a trip planned up the Colorado near Marble Canyon on the 22nd and have a few days prior to goof off. We had intentions of heading off into Zion NP, we've since changed gears considering the temperatures are to drop in the single digits.

So I guess we are asking if anybody has any recommendations as a "Must See, Must Hike, Must Fish" destination.

Thanks in advance for any help or considerations, pm's welcome. :)

The Sheriff and the Guru
mtnguru

Re: Road Trip 2008 Questions

Postby thtsarumr » December 17th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Check out www.azflyandtie.com. Its a great forum with alot of info. Lake Powell has some nice Striper and Bass fishing. Oak Creek Canyon just south of Flagstaff has some large browns. Even though Arizona is my home state I haven't fished it that much. Good luck take lots of pics.
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby darrin terry » December 17th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Never fished anywhere near any of that country, but remembering Joe's winter trip last year…you might suggest he avoid getting to know any large mammalian life along the way. Specifically cattle. ;) :lol: :lol:

Have fun. Looking forward to the report on your return fellas.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby mtnguru » December 17th, 2008, 11:29 pm

Funny story, Joe and I tried to fish Oah Creek Canyon about 2 years ago, in April. As it happened most of the creek was frozen over...oops!

Darrin, if you remember the picture, the entire passenger side is crushed in, if that happens again my days are numbered. Tee hee.
mtnguru

Postby anacrime » December 18th, 2008, 2:17 am

new zealand
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Papasequoia » December 18th, 2008, 9:12 am

Zion and Bryce are beautiful in winter, especially Bryce with a bit of snow on the hoodoos. Cold, but beautiful. Spring for a cheap motel and sleep warm. Didn't know you were going with Joe; probably see you in CO. Image Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Return to General Fly Fishing