REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Got it!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Got it!

Postby Artin » September 29th, 2012, 7:04 am

So, for the past few weeks I have been super duper busy working on a bid for a pretty good sized project up north.
I think I popped out a few new white hairs on this one! Working 10-12 hours a day and weekends will get you to rethink careers sometimes. But I pulled through and it looks like the project is mine. Thank God! I needed this.
I know I missed some birthdays and I apologize, so to all I missed I say happy birthday! Also missed some great posts I see.
Now for the good part. I will be moving to Nor.Cal in about a week for about 3 months to complete this project. I will be staying in Santa Rosa, which is about an hour or 2 north of San Fransisco bay. I am wondering if there are any good opportunities within an hour or two for me to wet a line and maybe hookup with something other than concrete if I'm lucky! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I will probably be fishing on Sundays only since I will pull 6 days of work per week with this super tight schedule I have agreed to.

Thanks in advance!

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Re: Got it!

Postby WanderingBlues » September 29th, 2012, 8:15 am

I seem to recall the Russian River is a bit north, up in Healdsburg. Off the water, there are some serious brew pubs in the area, and wine country is all around. Work hard, play hard!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Rob909 » September 29th, 2012, 8:17 am

I don't have any fishing location advice, but just wanted to say congratulations on getting the bid. Times are tough and landing the work is great. Congrats!!!

Rob
Rob909

Postby midger » September 29th, 2012, 8:45 am

Putah Creek out of Lake Berryessa can be good at certain times of the year and you'll be there at the right time.

Check in on Kiene's Northern California site. They'll be in tune with local happenings:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby darrin terry » September 29th, 2012, 9:00 am

I don't know about the waters, but Curtis is right about the breweries. There's Lagunitas in Petaluma (about 20 minutes south of Santa Rosa), Anderson Valley Brewery in Boonville (about an hour north), Bear Republic in Healdsburg (about 30 minutes north). Have fun! :D On those days off…
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby flybob » September 29th, 2012, 10:27 am

Artin, congrats on landing the job!

Hopefully you will have some time to explore the waters around Sacramento/Nevada City/Grass Valley. Although not really local to SR, not much different than fishing a day in the SBM's from your part of town.

And a weekend trip to the Mcleod for those precious Red Bands is something to consider!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby dray » September 29th, 2012, 11:04 am

Artin,

That's great news, congrats.
Let us know if you find some fIsh up there.
Good luck on the project.
dray

Postby planettrout » September 29th, 2012, 1:33 pm

I don't know about wetting a line near Santa Rosa...but, you can wet yer' whistle over here and have a great dinner with it either in Occidental or Santa Rosa!!!

http://www.unionhotel.com/

PT/TB :rockon:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby anacrime » September 29th, 2012, 2:19 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:I don't know about the waters, but Curtis is right about the breweries. There's Lagunitas in Petaluma (about 20 minutes south of Santa Rosa), Anderson Valley Brewery in Boonville (about an hour north), Bear Republic in Healdsburg (about 30 minutes north). Have fun! :D On those days off…
Russian River Brewing is in downtown Santa Rosa. IMO one of the best breweries in the country. World class hoppy and sour beer programs!

And good luck Artin! Hope to see some fish reports once you get settled in.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby darrin terry » September 29th, 2012, 3:35 pm

anacrime wrote:
Darrin Terry wrote:I don't know about the waters, but Curtis is right about the breweries. There's Lagunitas in Petaluma (about 20 minutes south of Santa Rosa), Anderson Valley Brewery in Boonville (about an hour north), Bear Republic in Healdsburg (about 30 minutes north). Have fun! :D On those days off…
Russian River Brewing is in downtown Santa Rosa. IMO one of the best breweries in the country. World class hoppy and sour beer programs!

And good luck Artin! Hope to see some fish reports once you get settled in.

Is it? I knew it was up there somewhere, but it was not mentioned by my buddy (who is very into beers) when I visited him up in SR years back. He's in San Diego now. I know he is a big fan of Russian River now. Permaybehaps he was unfamiliar with them at the time. I've not been able to try them here in Fresno as I've not found anyone that carries the brews. I know that, at least in part, it is due to their own restrictions based on beer storage conditions. One day…
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » September 29th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Yup, their brew pub is right downtown on like 3rd street. I make the pilgrimage up two or three times a year.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Artin » September 30th, 2012, 6:40 am

Thanks for the insight! The way things look I will be drinking more beer than anthing else! :mrgreen:
I am not a big beer fan but man the way you guys put it, I may just turn into one. I will have to check those places out and see what all the fuss is about! Looks like it's more beer country than it is wine country.

Thanks for the good wishes.
Rob909 wrote:I don't have any fishing location advice, but just wanted to say congratulations on getting the bid. Times are tough and landing the work is great. Congrats!!!

Rob

I hear that an, sems like now a days we work twice as hard for half the money! Can't wait for things to get better for sure.

midger wrote:Putah Creek out of Lake Berryessa can be good at certain times of the year and you'll be there at the right time.
Check in on
Kiene's Northern California site. They'll be in tune with local happenings:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/

I fished that a few years ago. Actually it was the year I proposed to my wife. We stayed in Napa and my best man an I took a trip there. Didn't see too much activity and caught nothing until we were about to leave. From the corner of my eye I spotted activity and sure enough there was about 4-5 nice sized fish sitting on a red and fighting for love! We sat and watched them for a bit. then took off. I don't know if they still do this but back then it looked like somone had marked the reds with flourescent orange caution tape like thing and pinned it on the bottom so you could see the spawning areas and not step on them. I thought that was pretty cool.

I will check out Kiene's site and get some info as well.

Thanks everyone!
Artin

Postby NorcalBob » September 30th, 2012, 7:38 am

<<<Looks like it's more beer country than it is wine country>>>
Lots of good beer up there, but it's definitely wine country! :deadhorse:
The Russian River would be the closest fishing spot and it's quite good, albeit a bit crowded (you should be used to that coming from SoCal!). Shad, salmon, steelhead, and smallmouth bass in their appropriate seasons.
NorcalBob

Postby Artin » October 1st, 2012, 7:03 am

So I did some reading on the Russian, looks like I will be there right on time for half pounders that will be in the river. Now to look for how and where to catch them!

Artin
Artin

Postby WadeK » October 1st, 2012, 8:52 am

What else are you up for? I haven't been up that way in over a decade and some of these spots pushing 3 decades, so check regs on these. On the coast, to the North, Salt Point State park had some amazing rockfishing (yes you can do it with a fly rod and sink-tip or full sink) and the Rhododendron (flowers) Reserve will take your wifes breath away as well as blow your mind if you are there at the right time of year. Duncans Cove a little South of there is another great Rockfishing area. I got a 17# Lingcod off the rocks there, try the South point. The Estrero (estuary) at Bodega Bay is a Leopard shark Nursery. There are little ones in there all year round and some MONSTER ones most of the time on the nearby beaches. Access to the Estrero used to be a pain but so much fun. Other than the Russian R. check the regs to find Blue lines w/ Steel.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing