REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Where is the threshold of pain?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Where is the threshold of pain?

Postby flybob » September 25th, 2012, 10:48 am

Is a 1000.00 + off-the-shelf graphite rod not too far away?

In looking at a couple of the new models for 2013, Winston's BIIISX, and Orvis's H2 are not shy about breaching well into the 800's for a general purpose freshwater rod! Have not seen what Sage has up their sleeve?

When I first started shopping for a rod, some 6 or 7 years ago, the hi-end rods were in the 500.00 range, and scared me right to Cabela's! Which satisfied me for a very long time.

I have purchased a few really nice "high end" rods since, and I when I see the new stuff out there, I am now more inclined to feel satisfied with what I have, or continue to look for deals on ebay!

But I still have to ask, where is the threshold of pain?

Any thoughts out there?
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: Where is the threshold of pain?

Postby NorcalBob » September 25th, 2012, 11:25 am

I can assure you, the high end rods are selling. At what point the upwardly mobile prices will end is anyone's guess. There are plenty of good lower priced rods out there, so you don't need to shell out 1000 clams for a great fly rod these days. More choices is a good thing and the $1000 fly rods provide manufacturers with the cash flow to develop other rods/gear, so it's all good.
NorcalBob

Postby csimcox » September 25th, 2012, 12:11 pm

This makes me wonder how good are today's $100-250 rods compared to $500-700 rods from 5, 10, 15 years ago? And, what is the point of diminishing returns on a fly rod? Obviously certain components, location of manufacturing and technology that goes into the rods/blanks will drive up the price, but how does that translate on the water? I personally have never owned or cast anything above a entry/mid level rod. But, those rods do get me into the casting where I feel comfortable and able to make a good hook set and have a good enough presentation. Plus they are light enough and well balanced to the point where it doesn't cause fatigue when fishing for 10hrs.
I'm speaking of rods for trout fishing on mid size streams & rivers (think Kern, Owens, H.C., S. Platte, Arkansas Rivers sizes on average). I do see where the lower end rods may be limited when it comes to heavier weight rods for big water (i.e. salmon, bass, saltwater, still water applications). So what am I missing when it comes to a $750-1000 graphite rod?
I still have and fish entry level 2pc St. Croix rods that I bought in '99/00. My 5wt after having a broken tip from bad storage and many many years of fishing, and a few big fish, finally started to feel like it was slowing down and not giving me the punch I wanted. So I bought a new 5wt last year (a 4pc Scott). But getting 12 years out of a $110 rod seems like a good investment to me. Is that $700 rod going to last me 20 years?
http://www.chadsimcox.com Photography and Video portfolio
http://grainfarmer.tumblr.com/ Grain Farmer - tumblr page featuring photography, art and design from around the world
csimcox

Postby briansII » September 25th, 2012, 1:28 pm

For me, the threshold was met last year....or maybe the year before. $800 for a single hand fly rod is more than I'm willing to pay. I did come very close to that figure last year, but it was for a switch rod......that has now been discontinued. I could have saved $$$ if I had just waited, but what fun is there in waiting. :doh: Anyway, the prices have even curtailed my curiosity. Wondering what a Loomis NRX, Sage One, Winston, Orvis, T&T, etc, casts like really doesn't even enter my mind.......much. I may end up stick knitting needles in my eyes for saying this, but I'm pretty happy with what I currently have.

Bob is certainly right though. The market for high end rods is still alive, but probably not doing as well as it once was. The market for "more affordable" rods is bigger and better than ever. So there's another good reason for expensive rods. It drives the companies to compete for their share of the middle and lower end of the price scale rods.

briansII
briansII

Postby John Harper » September 25th, 2012, 1:35 pm

I've fished with a buddy who has all the fancy expensive gear. All the money in the world, and he'll never be able to outfish me. Doesn't matter how expensive a hammer you got if you don't know how to use it or know where the nail is. You can't buy experience. Most of my success is from learning where trout live and where to look for them.

John
John Harper

Postby WanderingBlues » September 25th, 2012, 1:43 pm

I think the secret is to get the expensive rod when it's on close-out or when gently used. I got my Sage TXL for less than half retail when they changed to the TXL-F. I paid full pop for the Sage One. Both get used heavily and I have no regrets, but I'm also content with my line up to where I feel no need to add to or upgrade my current quiver. I do occasionally cast my TFO's just to see the difference and, yes, there is a noticeable difference from how they load, track, react, and play.

$1000 is crazy IMHO.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Reyne » September 25th, 2012, 2:16 pm

John Harper wrote:I've fished with a buddy who has all the fancy expensive gear. All the money in the world, and he'll never be able to outfish me. Doesn't matter how expensive a hammer you got if you don't know how to use it or know where the nail is. You can't buy experience. Most of my success is from learning where trout live and where to look for them.

John

It's not the bow and arrow as much as it is the Indian... ;)

I'll wait for The One to be discontinued when Sage comes out with The Two. :roll:
Regards,
Rey

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Reyne

Postby lucfish » September 25th, 2012, 3:06 pm

All I can say is I'm grateful that I started long enough ago that top of the line rods were going for 3-400 bucks. There all well balanced rods and are casting machines. I like them all and don't have any overwhelming desire to purchase any of the new stuff save a spey or two and that won't be anytime soon. I think from now on most of any new rod purchases will be used. That goes for the reels too.
lucfish

Postby Papasequoia » September 25th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Reyne wrote:I'll wait for The One to be discontinued when Sage comes out with The Two. :roll:

I was thinking about what they would call the next best thing when they came out with that name - the One rod that would be the best ever. Instead of the Two they will probably call it the Next One, or, The Better One, or, The Improved One (are you reading this Sage? I want royalties!) :lol:

I haven't bought a rod in a few years now. I'm with John on the 'how' being more important than the 'with what.' I have a couple of nice rods and I don't think the latest and greatest is going to improve my fishing all that much - certainly not $1,000 worth. I still use my old Sage Launch 6wt - it's a tried and true rod. This past week when I broke one of my two nice rods while on a backpacking trip (4wt Z-Axis) I was forced to fish with a back-up rod, thrown in the pack at the last minute "just in case." It was a 7' three weight Redington Wayfarer, six piece. It forced me to think much more about my casting - loading it correctly and double hauling it - in order to get across a good sized river. And in the end it worked out a lot better than I thought it would. I'll hang onto my cash and work with what I have. If I spring for a new rod it will be a two-hander - otherwise the money goes to fine wine and women. :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby RichardCullip » September 25th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Well below the current price point.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Gary C. » September 25th, 2012, 4:59 pm

Jon,
Speaking of two handers, are you still keeping an eye on Steep & Cheap?
http://sac.gearattack.com/items/54413
Gary C.

Postby beachbum » September 25th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Tough question. There are a lot of good discounted rods out there right now. Some of them were last years' super rods, that are reduced to half price or even less. That being said, the 10ft 9wt NRX that I purchased (at full price) to fish salt and salmon has totally met my expectations.

My biggest problem at the moment is to use the rods I have on a more regular basis :)
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Waterborne » September 25th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Opportunity cost.

Some folks are just willing to pay more than others. It's loosely tied to an individual's discretionary income, but it's also tied to the perceived value of the product for a given individual.

When I was 22 year old college student and had a part-time job making $6/hr, I spent $800 on a "toy" that I thought I "had to have". :doh:

I'm nearly twice as old and earn a little more money, but I would not spend $800 on a trout rod. It's not that I can't afford it. I've spent that much and even more on optics, surfboards, bikes, and other "toys". But with so many decent offerings in the $200 range, I don't see the need to spend $800 for a rod for catching trout.

I'm perfectly content fishing my $120 eBay Scott, $200 closeout Sage, $140 clearance St. Croix, and $150 internet coupon code discounted TFO.

For me, an $800 rod adds nothing more than cosmetics and marketing. I don't "have to have" it.

With that said, there are times when I wonder if I should get rid of my quiver of 1 wt to 6 wt rods and just get one fancy, premium rod to fish everywhere. :deadhorse:
Waterborne

Postby tomsakai » September 25th, 2012, 6:34 pm

In thinking about it, I think I've only bought one new rod in the last several years. That was a 10' 4 weight Greys Streamflex that I bought for around $350 from David last fall. Very happy with the rod BTW. Other than that everything in the last several years has been used: Loomis Streamdance GLX 5 weight as well as a 6 weight (this month), Sage TXL 000, Loomis GL3 (2 weight and 5 weight). I'm very happy with what I have; I can't see paying $700 plus for new rods.
tomsakai

Postby Jimbo Roberts » September 25th, 2012, 6:43 pm

I'm a bit of a gear hound. I bought a new 690 ONE to replace my old 690 XP I lost. So far I think I still like my old XP more than the ONE. Then again I save hundreds by buying the blank and building it myself and I have always perferred a larger grip of a particular shape. I need to fish it more though before I decide. I also like the Z Axis series almost as much as the XPs. I've been looking on ebay myself for the right deal.
And on the subject of expensive tastes, be glad you are not into old Bamboo like Lenords or Grangers and the like, they can go way past $1000.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing