REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Where is the threshold of pain?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Where is the threshold of pain?

Postby midger » September 25th, 2012, 7:17 pm

I don't see it so much as pain but rather value and functionality of the rod. If you truly have to have one of these $800 rods, just wait a couple of years or hit ebay or the other flyfishing websites and find "the rod" you covet for half price or less. Over the years I've owned almost all the sage rod models up until two years ago when I quit buying/selling as many rods as I used to. Yes, the models cast differently but all were functional and most flyfishers could use any of them with practice, and none, in my opinion, were worth the retail price asked for them. I think (again my opinion) that vanity plays a big part in the "gotta have the new rod" game.

I don't think many new flyfishers truly know what type rod they prefer. You'll hear those who say they like a soft rod, others prefer a medium actioned rod, while still others covet those fast actioned beasts, hence the rod companies somewhat try to make rods with actions to meet these demands as these new fishers really learn just what it is they want, and the price they'll pay to get the rod desired.

That being said, rodmakers seemed to really be making their blanks stiffer and stiffer from the late 80s until recently, but now it seems the pendelum is swinging a bit the other way and there are a few more medium actioned rods. . Who knows where it will end? Companies have to keep convincing buyers that they have to have the latest, hence naming rods "The One" or some other catchy name (and no I'm not ragging on Sage--I own quite a few Sage rods) or the companies will go out of business, as sales is the name of the game. Flyfishing doesn't appear to be growing as fast as it once was (like after the movie, A River Runs Through It came out) so if you aren't selling lots of rods at a lower price then sell fewer at a higher price to get the same sales revenue.

I'm actually back to fishing my go to Sage RPL 5 weight which was made in 1990, and a number of rods that I made up on cheaper blanks. I've found what suits my style of fishing, I'm pretty tough on rods, and there is no need for me to break an $800-1000 rod when those rods aren't going to land anymore fish for me and I can't imagine they'd give me anymore enjoyment that I can get from these cheaper rods.

Again, to each their own. If you have the money and want to spend it, go for it. Just make sure you don't expect it to make you an excellent flyfisher just because its an expensive stick.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby duckdog » September 26th, 2012, 6:43 am

Once fly rods pushed over 300.00 I basically said poo-poo to that. I went about 20 years with out even sniffing a new rod. I figured that my casting flaws would not be fixed by spending alot of money on a fly rod. I was right on that one - I can throw just as bad a tailing loop with a sage one as I could with my Sage RPL. In the last 5 years I have given in and picked up 4 new rods in the 650.00-780.00 price range and I have to say that as far as casting accuracy , distance and adding to my overall fishing experience they were worth it . BUT I have to say that I cannot see myself spending 800.00- 1000.00 on a fly rod. I will most likely let a few generations of advancement roll on by before I jump in again. Hmmm , but you know, those old obsolete Helios's and Sage One's (when Sage eventually move's on) as well as the Hardy rod that I have been eyeballing will eventually be priced to move.Patience grass hopper , Patience.
duckdog

Postby theophilus » September 26th, 2012, 6:52 am

One of the appeals of focusing on the more traditional bamboo rods is being able to exit the marketing hype that drives the tackle industry. Tapers and building techniques that have endured over a century aren't going to be displaced by the "One".

You still have to be a wise buyer though, a fool and his money are easily parted regardless of the choice of fly rod material. I guess you just have to search for the sublime,

Doug
"Everything flows" - Heraclitus
theophilus

Postby Pete » September 26th, 2012, 8:23 am

Short answer to your initial question I am betting we break to $1K zone, for a plastic rod, within a couple of years. Simple sales plan....as long as buyers are willing to pay the price the makers will be willing to ask it.
Pete

Postby briansII » September 26th, 2012, 10:21 am

Pete wrote:Short answer to your initial question I am betting we break to $1K zone, for a plastic rod, within a couple of years. Simple sales plan....as long as buyers are willing to pay the price the makers will be willing to ask it.

http://www.troutrods.com/prices.html

Granted, these are basically custom builds, but it's still a "plastic rod". Looks like he has a waiting list. :shock: A graphite, Burkheimer spey will set you back $1k and change. So will a Helios......and others are just a few bucks shy of $1k. We are in the era of one thousand dollar, graphite fly rods. I think the prices will peak about the same time golf clubs, skis, shotguns, and tennis racket prices peak. ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby Gila Trout » September 26th, 2012, 4:26 pm

I have two St. Croix rods a 9'6" 4 wt. (High stick Drifter) and a Legend Elite 9' 5 wt. Both of these rods are very high tech and are made in the USA. These rods are very high end and cast and fish great. They go for $440.00 each. So one does not have to pay $800 or more to get great rod.

Lanny
Gila Trout

Postby flocktothewall » September 26th, 2012, 6:19 pm

I had also read that Sage is upping their prices by 7% October 1. So that threshold may be going up again.

At the present, I am satisfied with my entry/mid level rod. I cast a Sage in February when I caught that fish in my Avatar, and to be honest, casting wise I wanted to go back to my own rod, perhaps because I was familiar with it and knew it well.

I came very close to buying a sage One, but I said it needed to be a "Special event" gift, like for a milestone.

IMO, there is a difference for sure, but also, its not the Rod that makes the fisherman right? Like its not the instrument that makes the musician (Although I won't argue, it helps)

I have imported a few rods and reels from a Chinese manufacturer for "testing" and I will say, there is more room for improvement on a cheaper rod than a more expensive one. But I caught fish either way ;)
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby fflutterffly » September 26th, 2012, 7:34 pm

I reached mine years ago at $500.00. I'm done with "the best." You want to fly fish well? Catch lots of fish? Use the extra money to join an excellent club or take private fly fishing lessons. You'd be surprised what a $200.00 rod can do in the hands of some one who can do slack line presentations.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing