REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Broken rods and dinks

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Broken rods and dinks

Postby Artin » September 17th, 2012, 7:47 am

Hi all,
Been out of commission for a while and hope that everyone is doing well :grouphug: . Been checking the site here and there as work and life have cut me off of any type of fishing. It's been difficult to get away even for a day. But I did.

Last week it was aparent that my Sunday would be open and I decided to call up some friends to go fishin'. 4 of us set up to leave Sun. morning. On Thurs. I went down to the garage to strighten my boo rod which I love so dearly. It had a set in the tip section and I decided to give it a straightening session before the trip. Well all went as planned up to the point where I took it out of th make shift pvc rod tube. I began to apply some pressure where the set was near the tip about 6" from the tip top and SNAP! :doh: :doh: :doh: My heart sank and I was in disbelief. A rod that took a 3-4lb rainbow from the Kern had succumbed to a bit of pressure. Well, I didn't have a spare tip and there it still sits on the work bench still. In 3 pieces..... I'll get to it soon and figure out how to fix it. It was an awesome rod....

So Sunday came and we all decided to meet at my place at 3:45 am to be on the rd at 4. The word from Guys shop was that it was an early bite and went up to around 10. So as planned I was ready and the boys got there on time with an exception of my long time friend who went to his inlaws the night before for some bbq. Well, in our circle, bbq's means some food with a few shots of your favorite spirits or some of that fine single malt. Needless to say, I had a hunch so I called him at 3:30 to make sure and sure enough he was still in bed. But he made it to my place at 4 am from Northridge.
We hit the rd and by 6:30 we were on the water. It was a nice morning and we were stoked to be on the water. Especially me since I haden't been for a while and the withdrawl syndrome was kicking like a mule. Man I needed this.
So we started to fish hitting up the first spot. As I walked towards the river I started to notice the trash left behing here and there. But by the river it was disgusting to see the filth that people decided not to take back and just left there along the rivers edge. I was pretty *. Beer bottles, like a 24 pack of Dos Equis from costco, chips bags, kool aid slippers etc.... Man It seems to me that it keeps getting worse and worse there every year. I am so saddened that people would be this stupid as to just not care about the place that they too enjoy. I would not have been that * if it was an isolated incident, I mean every where we went the same thing. Man, I wish there was a way to line these mororns up and take a nice hard backhanded slap across their faces. They deserve it.
Anyhow, I needed to vent a bit.
Now to the fishing.
Over all it was slow I would say, with the high temps and low water. I started off with a pink scud and a robo pt and hit the pocket water and some of the deeper runs. Nothing came to play. But then I switched off to a 18 prince with a 20 wire nymph I tied up with silver and black wire body and peacock thorax. Then the dinks starte do attack.
One of the guys pulled out a 3 nice trout which he kept for dinner for himself and his wife and son but the rest of us didn't feel like cleaning fish so we didn't keep any. I noticed that his were stockers on salmon eggs. After his 3 fish he turned to me and said "hey man got another fly rod?" Well, I happend to have 3 back at the truck :mrgreen:
So we got him set up and on we went. We hit pocket water again picking up a couple at most from each spot, mostly smaller dinks in the less than 12" range, which is good and means that there is plenty of health wild krr's even in the 20 mile section and the breeding population is strong enough to survive the onslaught of fishermen. Around noon we went on to go eat at that Mexican place, by that time we all had fish and no one thankfully was skunked. After lunch we went back up and hit 2 more spots between Kernville and camp 3 and called it a day. Over all it was an awesome day to share with good friends on the water. Minus the trash left behind by aholes.
Sorry no pictures because most of the fish were wild and with the high water temps I felt the need to release them quickly and didn't want to take the time to take pictures.

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Re: Broken rods and dinks

Postby flybob » September 17th, 2012, 8:47 am

Artin, glad to see you finally had a chance to get out and get some on you! :rockon:

Yeah, we are all beginning to sound like a broken record here with the lazy pigs! :fireangry:

A handful of of fly fishermen and some weekly volunteers just can't seem to keep up with the onslaught!
And you are right, it IS getting worse because this IS how they have fun!

Well, nice to hear no one came home stinky! :lol:

Sorry about the rod, they are designed to distribute the load across the entire length, applying POINT pressure on any given spot is asking for trouble, especially in the thinner portions.

I too have a boo that occasionally takes a set in the upper section, I typically assemble the rod and then hang it from the tiptop in a warm room/closet. After a few days, everything is nice and straight again.
Just an idea.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Pete » September 17th, 2012, 9:17 am

And man felt like I took an arrow through the heart when I read about the rod :cry: . Good thing you are in tight with the builder.... oh wait you are the builder ;).

Glad you got out and had a good time in spite of the trash. The SSFFC has its yearly Rendezvous next weekend (9/20- 9/22) Part of our wing-ding is a river clean up. Every fisherman gets a garbage bag to go them through out the tournament. Most trash turned in gets a goodie. So get up to the river after that and hopefully it will be cleaner.

Steal the wife's hair dryer and warm the set then straighten it. Yep, voice of experience. Broke a tip on the first rod I refinished. It would take a set after every third cast or so. Use to straighten it as I fished. Well.... you can see where this is going :doh: . Just remember: Too hot to touch = too much heat.

Pete
Pete

Postby Sasha » September 17th, 2012, 7:01 pm

*, too bad about the rod... Ok I understand the no fish shot thing with the tems but no pics at all of other stuff :?

Glad to read about you getting out though :rockon:
Sasha

Postby midger » September 17th, 2012, 7:10 pm

Breaking a rod is never a fun thing, even if it's on a fish hook up. :PO: Hope you are able to make you a new tip up for the rod, and glad you were able to get out.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby dray » September 20th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Oh nooooooo, sorry about that. Get to splitting another culm and you'll be back in business in no time. Sounds like you guys had a good time.
dray

Return to General Fly Fishing