REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Got ourselves a blizzard.......

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Got ourselves a blizzard.......

Postby midger » December 15th, 2008, 7:12 am

Looks like it will be a white Christmas for sure and the snow will really help all the local watersheds. It's pounding down now and according to the weather channel, will continue to do so all day long. Looks to be accumulating about 1-2 inches an hour right now. Only downside for me is that the satelite dish installers were supposed to install a new HD dish on my roof today. Don't think they'll make it. :D

Oh well, I'm ready. I got the snowblower all gassed up and ready, schools been cancelled today, and lots of wood awaits burning. Also have scotch, hot chocolate, and lots of cookies.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Got ourselves a blizzard.......

Postby Rob909 » December 15th, 2008, 7:33 am

Sounds like a grand day awaits you Mike :) . Enjoy :)

We definitely need this storm....I can't wait to hit up some of my locals in a few weeks now :D :D :D

Rob
Rob909

Postby flybob » December 15th, 2008, 7:48 am

thanks for the update Mike, looks like we are going to have some good fishing in the next couple of weeks!

mmmmm, the chocolate and cookies sound good!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby rayfound » December 15th, 2008, 9:04 am

Ahh yes, snow in the mountains, and all of the glorious water it creates for our finned friends. Swim free trouts, swim free. I'll be there soon enough.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Eric » December 15th, 2008, 9:10 am

Enjoy the day Mike. Looks like you have a good plan for what to do on snowy day
Eric
Eric

Postby Benny » December 15th, 2008, 9:45 am

White Christmas for sure Mike :P Have fun skiing ;)
Benny

Postby Flyjunkie » December 15th, 2008, 9:54 am

Yeah , this morning's drive to work took almost twice as long.. they closed the Sepulveda Flood basin (Good!!) and I had to use a different Route to Work, Lotsa slow traffic along the streets... This Storm is a very Welcomed sight.... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby tycaster » December 15th, 2008, 2:19 pm

Oh, yeah. Halle-frickin-llujah! Drove up my particular hill this morning after dropping the girls off at school, just to see how far I could get without chains, and what level it was actually snowing at. I was sorta hoping I could get to a certain spot to harvest some pork chops and eggs but, bless the Lord, I had to turn around! And after only about five minutes up the hill! Sweet. Dump away, baby!

I hope we get a few more of these, nicely spaced out until, say, March.

I find myself knocking on wood and biting my tongue when I hear people curse the rain.

If any of you Socal guys want to hit it up in the next few weeks, let me know.

Ty
tycaster

Postby darrin terry » December 15th, 2008, 3:10 pm

Loving the news on this storm system right now. We've got some nickel sized hail and the wind, rain & lightning that accompanies it here in Fresno as I type. Snow levels in the local foothills over night down to ~1500 feet. Keep it coming I say. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Rollincast » December 15th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Up here, North of most of you.(Strathmore, Elev. 394 ft.) In the past 24 hrs we have seen an inch of rain mixed with snow, sleet, hail and who knows what else. The foot hills got a good shot of snow. Pretty decent little storm, trying to get ready for the cold temps predicted for later this week. * end to a winter day.......

Randy
Always looking for brownie points
Rollincast

Postby midger » December 15th, 2008, 6:26 pm

Appears the heaviest is over, and we ended up with close to 18 inches of Sierra Cement--HEAVY snow but should pack well for ski areas and the run off will surely be appreciated by all the finny denizons of all the local mountains. I got a lot done. The installers didn't show (duh), so I've been running electrical wire and hooking up "stuff" all day.

How'd everyone else fare?
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby KRoberts1 » December 15th, 2008, 6:28 pm

Better get the smudge pots out Randy. Looks like a couple of all nighters coming your way.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby Sasha » December 15th, 2008, 6:35 pm

Wow there seems to be snow all over the west.
Sasha

Return to General Fly Fishing