REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Comedy of Errors, Part 3

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Comedy of Errors, Part 3

Postby WadeK » August 16th, 2012, 1:40 pm

My Mom was supposed to meet us at Sonora Bridge CG that night so I stopped in to see if she was there before heading into Bridgeport. As we drove past the first campsite a lady flagged us down. Before I could say a thing, she told us where my Mom was camped, that she had already paid and to be aware of the bears because 3 had been seen there that week. She asked how our trip had been so far and half a dozen other questions. I figured she was the camp host, being a little over friendly, but later found out she wasn’t. Almost every time we drove by after that it was all the gossip you could (n)ever want to know. :kissbutt: She was pleasant, but obviously a bored busybody.
Mom accompanied us into Bridgeport. While I took care of the laundry, they checked out the shops and I checked out a rather HOT brunette that came in and did some wash. Half-heartedly made some small talk, but it wasn’t going to go anywhere. It probably didn’t help that I’m 41 and she might have been 30 on the high end. :oops: :twisted: After the laundry was done I met Mom and Jeff at Ken’s Sporting goods and Mom got Jeff a Jr. Hunting license as a late B-day present. :bananadance:
Back at camp, dinner that night was BBQ’d Chicken w/ all the fixings. Good Stuff! We BBQ’d them on a propane Hibachi type grill that leaked grease out of the bottom all over the table. We cleaned it up as well as we could but, about 3AM I awoke to find a smallish thin Bear polishing the painted picnic table with his tongue. :o It didn’t bother anything else or even harm the table, which kind of surprised me.
Wednesday AM I couldn’t get Jeff to wake up early for the hike into a pig factory I wanted to do. So instead of hiking at gray-light like I wanted to we headed to the EW at about 9:30. Arriving at ~10:15, the water was very clear and the fish were spooky. I managed 2 hits but spent most of my time trying to get Jeff into a fish. It was tough to say the least. He hooked up twice by ~3:00, but both were lost. We’d worked about a mile of water and Jeff wanted to go somewhere else or go back to camp. I told him lets drive to another area of the same river.
In a prime Big fish spot I swung an Articulated Sex Dungeon streamer. On my 3rd swing, I was stripping it back when it was Annihilated! :rockon: Line shot through my hands so fast it hurt. A coil of line wrapped around the back of the rod. POW!! The 1X tippet shattered. :o :cry: Jeff looked at me like he was dumbfounded then whispered “That was HUGE wasn’t it?” He had been playing in some slack water, but he immediately picked up the other flyrod, a 3wt, and asked for a streamer. I thought about telling him how undergunned it was for this spot, but instead I gave him a Cone head bugger that it could barely handle. We flogged the water for another 1:30 for nothing. I really wish he had hooked one.
On the way back to camp we talked about the hike tomorrow and that it’d be ok for him to take his rifle. I told him about the Bacon wrapped Pepper and Cheese stuffed Rabbit my Dad used to make and when we should leave.
To be continued
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Re: Comedy of Errors, Part 3

Postby WanderingBlues » August 16th, 2012, 4:04 pm

You're killing me!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby 87TT » August 16th, 2012, 4:41 pm

" I checked out a rather HOT brunette that came in and did some wash. Half-heartedly made some small talk, but it wasn’t going to go anywhere. It probably didn’t help that I’m 41 and she might have been 30 on the high end. "
Probably because you were with your Mom and kid :lol:
Can't wait for the end
87TT

Postby Pete » August 16th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Usually we say the worse day fishing is better than the best day of work. You are forcing me to give that statement a long hard look. :doh: :D You can't script this stuff, too funny :bananadance: .
Pete

Postby DrCreek » August 16th, 2012, 4:48 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:You're killing me!

...and YOU'RE killing ME !!! Where's your report??????????????????????? :bananadance:
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby L. Ben Doe » August 16th, 2012, 9:13 pm

My prediction for part 4 = Forgot ammo :doh:
L. Ben Doe

Postby Papasequoia » August 16th, 2012, 9:24 pm

I keep waiting for the final chapter before commenting - but I am following along. For those of you my age and older, it's like the old Batman TV series with Adam West where they would leave you hanging each week. Usually with Batman hanging over a vat of acid or something - and then they would say, "Tune in next week...saaaaaame bat time, saaaaaaame bat channel!" :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby rkfiske » August 16th, 2012, 9:43 pm

WadeK wrote:While I took care of the laundry, they checked out the shops and I checked out a rather HOT brunette that came in and did some wash. Half-heartedly made some small talk, but it wasn’t going to go anywhere. It probably didn’t help that I’m 41 and she might have been 30 on the high end. :oops: :twisted

Keepin the dream alive man!! Love it!

Papasequoia wrote:...and then they would say, "Tune in next week...saaaaaame bat time, saaaaaaame bat channel!" :D

You have no idea how many times I was bombarded with that phrase from my dad growing up!

Looking forward to part II!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Dry Fly Rie » August 16th, 2012, 9:47 pm

Man, I can't help but smile each time a new update to this trip gets posted. Here's hoping some good karma comes your way for the rest of the trip.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby Papasequoia » August 17th, 2012, 7:37 am

rkfiske wrote:
Papasequoia wrote:...and then they would say, "Tune in next week...saaaaaame bat time, saaaaaaame bat channel!" :D

You have no idea how many times I was bombarded with that phrase from my dad growing up!

Well, thanks for making me feel so old. :( Now go sit at the kid's table! :x
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby WadeK » August 17th, 2012, 8:41 am

Thanks for the replies guys! :funnyup: Sorry about the time it takes to get another installment out. I'm typing them out on my lunch hour (and a little more) so it goes slow.

TL,
Wade

PS: We didn't forget the ammo.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby Rob909 » August 17th, 2012, 8:47 am

This group is ready to open up a can of whoop-a$$ if they don't get the finale soon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob
Rob909

Postby Flatsix » August 17th, 2012, 8:55 am

I'm hoping without the kid and Mom that he runs into the HOT brunette again.

Guess I'll have to stay tuned.
Flatsix

Postby Cholcomb » August 17th, 2012, 6:09 pm

Cholcomb

Return to General Fly Fishing