REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Water Temperatures and Trout

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Water Temperatures and Trout

Postby Wildman » August 8th, 2012, 8:41 am

Interesting article I read on the affects of water temps and trout. As this heat wave keeps it's hold on the West, many of the locals are rapidly approaching these temps and more.

What's the consensus on when it's time to quit fishing until the water cools down?

http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/trout-and-water-temperature-how-hot-too-hot/771553
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Re: Water Temperatures and Trout

Postby briansII » August 8th, 2012, 10:11 am

Excellent article Jim. Timely too. Delayed mortality is a big deal. More now than any other time of year. Hope folks read it, because it has some great information.

Wildman wrote:I
What's the consensus on when it's time to quit fishing until the water cools down?

I've pretty much set my limit at 70 for trout. I can tell you it's not just trout. I released a largemouth a couple weeks ago, that took a long time to revive. Water temps were in the low 80s, and this larger fish had a tough time swimming off. We spent a great deal of time before we felt it was strong enough to release. This wasn't an isolated case. It seems to happen with larger fish. So even "warmwater" species are not immune.

briansII
briansII

Postby darrin terry » August 8th, 2012, 10:49 am

Good info. Like Brian, I use 70° as my upper limit. Actually 68° water will usually keep me from fishing for trout unless the water is particularly well oxygenated as in a plunge pool or riffle.

Interesting bit on the bass Brian. I'd wondered what kind of temp limits would apply to them. Not much as I don't fish for them very often, but had wondered. I knew of course that being a warm water species they would tolerate a higher temp, plus they seem to be a hardier species in general. Not like catfish which will live quite a while out of water or carp which I've read seem to be capable of surviving in water temps from near freezing to at least the mid 90's (I've been told they even do okay in water temps to 104° though I've no idea if that's true and can't even begin to think of waters that get that hot).

I worry more about trout simply because they are what I fish for most often.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Pete » August 8th, 2012, 10:51 am

I'm suprised, I thought the temperature would be lower than that.

Pete
Pete

Postby lucfish » August 8th, 2012, 2:09 pm

briansII wrote:Excellent article Jim. Timely too. Delayed mortality is a big deal. More now than any other time of year. Hope folks read it, because it has some great information.

Wildman wrote:I

I've pretty much set my limit at 70 for trout. I can tell you it's not just trout. I released a largemouth a couple weeks ago, that took a long time to revive. Water temps were in the low 80s, and this larger fish had a tough time swimming off. We spent a great deal of time before we felt it was strong enough to release. This wasn't an isolated case. It seems to happen with larger fish. So even "warmwater" species are not immune.

briansII

Well for rainbows and browns, both the "hardy trout" 70 degrees is the absolute limit for them. Most of the locals are already there although there are a couple of higher elevation streams that still are ok and usually survive the season without ever getting to 70. Not many of them though.
That's why I'm down on summer bass tournaments. Those bass that get sloshed around in a livewell for 8 hours are going to be in trouble. From what I've read the survival rate is only about 60%. In the fall, winter, spring the survival rate is better than 95%. Quickly releasing a just caught bass in water up to 85 usually is ok as long as the fish was brought in fast and released without too many hero shots. If the water is over 85 you should just be fishing for cats or carp.
lucfish

Postby Gila Trout » August 8th, 2012, 3:24 pm

I just stop fishing when gets really hot. It not enjoyable for me and its too hard on the fish. The warmer the water the less oxygen there is for the fish. As pointed out already, fishing when the water is warm is even hard on bass and panfish. I just read an article today that said July was the hottest month on record in the US and the last 5 months have seen above normal tempetures for most of the country. The only states that have had near normal or below normal tempetures so far this year has been California, Washington, Arizona and Louisana. Fish have a tough enough life just trying to survive. I do not need to add to their stress by fishing for them in when the water gets too warm. But when the weather and water cools that is a different story.

Lanny
Gila Trout

Postby briansII » August 8th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:Good info. Like Brian, I use 70° as my upper limit. Actually 68° water will usually keep me from fishing for trout unless the water is particularly well oxygenated as in a plunge pool or riffle.

Interesting bit on the bass Brian. I'd wondered what kind of temp limits would apply to them. Not much as I don't fish for them very often, but had wondered. I knew of course that being a warm water species they would tolerate a higher temp, plus they seem to be a hardier species in general. Not like catfish which will live quite a while out of water or carp which I've read seem to be capable of surviving in water temps from near freezing to at least the mid 90's (I've been told they even do okay in water temps to 104° though I've no idea if that's true and can't even begin to think of waters that get that hot).

I worry more about trout simply because they are what I fish for most often.

I've seen carp in a drying up pond survive as long as they could. They had wallowed out a spot in the mud, to let it fill with whatever little water was left. By midday, those puddle temps had to be what the air temps were. Mid 90s to 100s. :shock: They are tough fish!

As you and Luc said, 70 is the limit, and 68 is probably a good time to thinking about going home, or fishing someplace else.

briansII
briansII

Postby flocktothewall » August 8th, 2012, 4:06 pm

I don't fish the streams that I know get warmer in the summer, but I also don't carry a thermometer around when I do fish. What are the temps on some of the so cal locals? I was at mill creek on Tuesday at the Thurman Flats picnic area with the fam. and there were TONS of people swimming, but I would still say the water was COLD, but could be my sensitivity to water temps also. I went mountain Biking near Seven Oaks and dipped my head in the stream there and it gave me freezer burn.

There is a local that people jump off rocks to swim in, and I've always been frozen in that water...
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby Wildman » August 8th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Many of the locals are at 68 in the morning and warm a good deal up after that. I think you would have been surprised just how warm the water was there in Mill Creek had you put the thermometer to it.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby flocktothewall » August 8th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Wow, never would have thought that high of temp.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby rayfound » August 8th, 2012, 5:16 pm

When the water reaches the high temperature, they won't bother biting much anyway.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby fly addict » August 9th, 2012, 7:39 am

Hey guys not all is lost, you can still go out and practice your casting during these dog days of summer. Set up a few targets and have at it. And just think how good you’ll be in the fall.
:rockon:
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby tree catcher » August 9th, 2012, 8:54 pm

I havent been fishing the locals except for one short trip at the put and take river since June.. Wait I did go foat tubing at Big Bear... Doesnt really count though.
I miss creeking, Funny though I just won a thermometer at my fly club raffle drawing, dam thing is celsius!!!! Ok 20 degrees C is about 68F, so I wont fish it if the temps are 20C or above. I can't wait for the weather to cool and a few rainstorms hit the area. My waders are really looking dry and wilted and they need a watering.

Sean
tree catcher

Postby fly addict » August 9th, 2012, 9:30 pm

tree catcher wrote:I havent been fishing the locals except for one short trip at the put and take river since June.. Wait I did go foat tubing at Big Bear... Doesnt really count though.
I miss creeking, Funny though I just won a thermometer at my fly club raffle drawing, dam thing is celsius!!!! Ok 20 degrees C is about 68F, so I wont fish it if the temps are 20C or above. I can't wait for the weather to cool and a few rainstorms hit the area. My waders are really looking dry and wilted and they need a watering.

Sean

That thermometer won’t work around here; our waters are calibrated in Fahrenheit only!!! That must have been why they raffled it off.
:funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Return to General Fly Fishing