REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Sage's Bluegill Rod

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Sage's Bluegill Rod

Postby briansII » December 10th, 2008, 11:27 am

Ok, I can hear you snickering. Who needs a specially designed rod for bluegill anyway? Any lightweight trout rod is just fine for panfish. Well, I felt the same way, until........

Somehow Sage got wind of my kid's fishing prowess. They contacted her to do some R&D on a new rod design. After several trips, and input from the kid, they tweaked the tapers to maximize performance for the mighty "gill". Now that the rod is in production, i'm able to post some pictures.

Here she is with a prototype. Sage has always been known for their....ahem.......progressive colors.

While the rod was designed specifically for panfish, we found it to be very versitile, and could handle a myriad of species

Here's a Sage technician taking data from the day. I found out he also works seasonally up at the Noth Pole.....and is a pretty cool grandpa too.

So if any of you are thinking rods are getting too specialized, or it's just another marketing ploy, think again.

briansII

disclaimer: We were in no way paid, and or compensated for this message. We did not violate any child labor laws during the making of this message. No warm blooded animals were harmed, during this filming
briansII

Re: Sage's Bluegill Rod

Postby darrin terry » December 10th, 2008, 11:52 am

Cool. But not getting paid? Come one. No one believes that. Unless you got a pair of the finished rods. That's it isn't it? ;)

Sage did a good job disguising the rod in purple. Especially with that spincast reel. I notice she even remembered to flip the rod over for the pics so as to not give away the secret while in field testing. :lol:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby RiverRat » December 10th, 2008, 12:13 pm

Great post! She'll be on the river with a fly and bubble before you know it. And with no stinky bait as the way my little girl describes flyfishing..

shane
RiverRat

Postby Papasequoia » December 10th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Yeah, but can she still catch them with a willow stick and a bent pin or is she just overcompensating with that high end Sage rod? :P Great pics, nice to see you starting her off young, building wonderful memories for later. Jon

PS Please tell Santa that I have changed my list and I now prefer Winston rods over Sage :lol: I'll leave him out some homemade cookies in exchange; he's looking a bit thin!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Sasha » December 10th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Great pics there, especially with the "Sage Bluegill rod" :D
Sasha

Postby thtsarumr » December 10th, 2008, 3:27 pm

That's how its done. :)
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby briansII » December 10th, 2008, 4:26 pm

Papasequoia wrote:Yeah, but can she still catch them with a willow stick and a bent pin or is she just overcompensating with that high end Sage rod? :P Great pics, nice to see you starting her off young, building wonderful memories for later. Jon

PS Please tell Santa that I have changed my list and I now prefer Winston rods over Sage :lol: I'll leave him out some homemade cookies in exchange; he's looking a bit thin!

If I let her, she'd go noodling for them. :o We're getting calls for sponsorship. Thinking about going with Zebco. :lol:

Santa is on a diet, and has lost about 40-50lbs. He can't have cookies. You might expect a Shakespeare this year. :D

briansII
briansII

Postby flybob » December 10th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Hey How do I get on that rod development/testing program?

Heck she is already catching fish bigger than I can!

Maybe I am just using the wrong gear!

Wow, she is gonna be a great fisher!
Thanks for sharing,
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Bernard » December 11th, 2008, 9:17 am

It's about time they got their color schemes together too.
Thanks for the product update.
B
Bernard

Postby Eric » December 11th, 2008, 9:40 am

That is just too cute!!!
Eric
Eric

Postby Barrie Mann » December 11th, 2008, 9:41 am

Great post and very nice pics. I think Sage picked a winner for the testing, is the very pretty young lady available to give fishing lessons? I know a few of us that could use them, coloured fishing pole or not :) :) :)
Barrie Mann

Return to General Fly Fishing