REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Alternative for Air Bed while car camping?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Alternative for Air Bed while car camping?

Postby John Harper » July 29th, 2012, 5:31 pm

So, after having to re-inflate my leaky airbed every three hours for the last four days, I realize there must be something more effective. I like to sleep on my side(s) and it's nice to have something thick for car camping uses in a tent. Not looking at a cot, just some nice pad, futon, etc. Maybe a bit narrower than single airbed 39" x 75" I think would be perfect. Not too terribly expensive would be nice.

I already have a thermarest for backpacking, adequate for the purpose, sucks for side sleepers.

Any ideas?

John
John Harper

Re: Alternative for Air Bed while car camping?

Postby 1mocast » July 29th, 2012, 5:54 pm

John,
Do what Bob does, 2 pads!

Those blue closed cell ones are about $20 ea. Or do what I do, I just double up the full length closed cell pad so only my hips up to my shoulder are on the pad.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby ldr » July 29th, 2012, 5:55 pm

I have a Thermarest DreamTime. Kind of spendy, but it's comfy right on the ground. I sleep on my side too.
"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra
ldr

Postby 87TT » July 29th, 2012, 9:33 pm

Get one of the Exped pads. My wife sleeps cold so I got her a Downmat 9. I have a Synmat UL7. I'm a side sleeper too. The trick is not over fill them. Mine rolls up the size of a 1 liter nalgene bottle and weighs 16oz. Just under 3" thick inflated. Retire the thermarest :rockon:
87TT

Postby fshflys » July 30th, 2012, 6:59 am

[quote="1mocast"]John,

Me too, closed cell & a thermarest, then if it's around freezing, I throw an old mex blanket over the 2 pads, get inside my synthetic bag & throw a opened up down bag over the top - toasty.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby flybob » July 30th, 2012, 7:57 am

John, had this problem for years.

In my younger days, a lightweight REI foam pad was all I needed, then came the Thermarest.
I found that my maturing body needed MORE padding, I was looking at a THICKER Thermarest, but the weight is ridiculous.
Fortunately, I never threw away the old foam pads, I use them for sleeping in the back of my truck.
Hey why not just add the foam to the thermarest, since I have an external frame pack, there was no issue with bulk.
I have been a happy camper ever since, and saved myself some bucks too! :bananadance:
Oh yeah, one other benefit, I no longer slide off the thermarest, I put the foam on top of it, and both the bag and the thermarest stick!

Also see Jon's first post in the new GEAR section, he talks of his new sleeping pad there.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby DrCreek » July 30th, 2012, 8:09 am

Still loving my REI 3.5" (when fully inflated) full-length self-inflating pad. It stows wonderfully. Comes with a parachute nylon storage bag (I don't ever use it), and stays tight with a thin, velcro strap at each end. I think I paid 100 clams for the thing. I've been using it for five seasons now. That, coupled with my totally thick Cabelas Mountain Trapper sleeping bag (warm flannel interior, canvas exterior) and I feel as comfortable as I do when I'm in my bed at home. Like you, I side-sleep. Good luck in the search, my friend !

PS... you're welcome to borrow mine for a test drive.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby briansII » July 30th, 2012, 8:58 am

When weight isn't an issue, I spare no expense for sleeping comfort. This worked well in the bed of my truck for a few years.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/ ... t104484780

Plenty of padding with a sleeping bag on top. Also comes in a single size.

But then I started to have more issues/aches and pains. Now I've added a "memory foam" pad on top of the sleeping pad. I did not spend big $$ for a name brand memory foam pad. Just went to Target.....or maybe it was Kmart? Anyway, I bought a queen size, 2" thick pad and folded it in 1/2. I think it's more comfortable than 85% of the motel beds I sleep on. And yes, it's plenty comfortable for side sleeping. It might be possible to skip the Cabelas camp pad and just go with a thick, memory foam pad. By thick, I'd recommend nothing under 3", and 4" would be better.

briansII
briansII

Postby Rob909 » July 30th, 2012, 9:55 am

Take a look at the Big Agnes system with the insulated air core pad.

The pad is inserted into a sleeve in the bootom of the bag. No rolling off and the pad works well for me. I'm a side sleeper at times too.

Rob
Rob909

Postby WanderingBlues » July 30th, 2012, 2:21 pm

The memory foam option is definitely worth looking at. I have done the same as briansII and gotten restful sleep that way.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby rkfiske » July 31st, 2012, 1:25 pm

I've heard good things about cots, though I have not used them personally.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby fly addict » July 31st, 2012, 3:07 pm

Well I like an air bed and use one at home (Select Comfort). When I go camping with the wife, we use a queen size double height air bed with a cheap sleeping bag under us and a down comforter on top. It is just about as nice as the bed at home. If I’m by myself then I have a couple of choices, a cot with a Dreamtime pad by Thermarest and a bag, or a Coleman 4 in one air mattress with the same pad and bag. I don’t like dragging my butt off the ground to get up in the middle of the night to take care of business. A cot or double height air bag makes it much easier for me in my old age. For car camping you can’t beat the Thermarest pad, it is self-inflating and has memory foam also. I think it is almost 3 inches thick and has an R value of 9 so you will never get cold from the ground or in a cot or airbed.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby fshflys » August 1st, 2012, 6:22 am

I just read the description in Cabelas for the comfort bed that BriansII recommended - "Its insulation qualities also make it a portable cooler. Frozen game or fish rolled inside will not thaw out for many long hours" Don't know about you, but sleeping on something that just had fish rolled up in it doesn't sound like a pleasant nights sleep.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby briansII » August 1st, 2012, 8:18 am

fshflys wrote:I just read the description in Cabelas for the comfort bed that BriansII recommended - "Its insulation qualities also make it a portable cooler. Frozen game or fish rolled inside will not thaw out for many long hours" Don't know about you, but sleeping on something that just had fish rolled up in it doesn't sound like a pleasant nights sleep.

:funnyup: :funnyup:

My experience with finding something suitable for side sleeping....or comfortable sleeping in general(I move a lot during the night), is you have enough padding to compensate for the inevitable high pressure spots on your body.....I'm sure at some point, there is diminishing returns on padding. Having old injuries in both of my shoulders, makes me more sensitive to that problem. Having the right softness and height pillow makes a huge difference in how my neck feels too. With ALL of my aches and pain, I've gone with lots of padding for car camping, and carry two different pillows depending on my aches. :oops: The bed of my truck is usually a LOT more comfortable than motel/hotel rooms that I stay in.

briansII
briansII

Postby Bernard » August 1st, 2012, 7:35 pm

1mocast wrote:John,

Those blue closed cell ones are about $20 ea. Or do what I do, I just double up the full length closed cell pad so only my hips up to my shoulder are on the pad.

I did this recently and loved it.
Good call.
B.
Bernard

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing