REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Three For One.....

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Three For One.....

Postby Wildman » July 27th, 2012, 2:56 pm

It's been busy couple of weeks. I said goodbye to a long time friend and colleague from KABC 7 news, Bob Banfield. He started in broadcasting the year after I was born 1948 and retired at 80. A gentleman....a man of his word..someone to be trusted. He made the difficult look easy. I even broke out the uniform once again to join the others from fire and law enforcement agencies to honor him at the memorial. I've been privileged to work with some of the best but Bob's memory will always stay with me. Gonna miss him....

Went fishing a couple of times with my fishing buddy, Tom Sakai. Tom and I have fished a lot over the past few years and it's a good fit. We both move at a slower pace...both catch fish now at about the same pace and we enjoy each others company. We visited a local that can offer many choices and these two days...we chose option B....Hike a lot...climb up and down a lot...slip on the rocks more then a lot and catch some fish. As usual, I took Tom down a circuitous path but had to take the blindfold off when it got too steep.

We made it to the water and were pleasantly surprised at the quality and quantity of fish. The first trip, I literally fell into a pool as we made our entry and caught a fish as I shook out the line to straighten it.

The fish were eager to take the silly Foam Caddis that I tie and was stoked watching them hammer it time after time. I still remember my first efforts on this water with Midger and watching him catch fish and me retie rigging. We both enjoyed a good morning in the sun.

The creek and it's denizens was healthy and full of life. Between the water falling and the birds singing and the wind in the Sycamores and Alders, it's a symphony to my ears. The colors are simply brilliant in the sunlight.

This was to be the final outing for my old fishing vest. It literally was falling apart at the seams. I now am the proud owner of a Sims guide vest thanks to Ariel.

We made two trips in and the last one convinced us that the local waters are done till fall. Water temp at 0600 was 56. Water temp at 1000 was 68. I took it every 15 minutes or so. We got out at that and started the long walk back to the car. We'll check it out once temps start freezing again at night or we get substantial rain.

Mark and I went down to the San Diego Bay area to fish Richard Cullip's home waters. I had been there once before and knew where to go but this trip would provide everything but the fish. I brought two pontoon boats. Yes. My attachment looks like something from the movie, "the Grapes of Wrath".

I even tied a box of flies that I copied from Richard.

I just knew that they would catch fish.....I mean Richard regularly gets 20 to 30 right at this spot and with the same flies. It wasn't to be.

I even got to enjoy a five hour drive home as the 15 was jammed up in Devore and I couldn't get past. Long day but still a good one. Any day on the water is a good one.

Finally....

I live on seven acres and drive on the dirt road you could test Land Rovers on. We keep seven horses (down from ten) and every day...rain, snow or shine, I am out talking with them as I feed, water, muck corrals and take care of them and the chickens. I support the farrier, the vet, the feed store and the equine dentist and they have all sent their kids to eastern colleges thanks to me. I fill two large wheel barrows a day with manure and have become quite the connoisseur. I know manure.

It's my quiet time and I often sound things off of them. They are great listeners. They just look back at me and sympathize by saying nothing. I am convinced that they understand when I am troubled or thinking on something. I've had plenty to share with them.

Last week, I became the Site Administrator for FlyFisingAddicts.com. It was not something I sought but it was something that had to be done to keep this forum alive and well. I take the responsibility seriously. We just had a long conference call among the Admins and Moderators. Some great discussion on where we might be headed in the future. My direction to them was to come to consensus and develop a plan. Unless there is a need for a decision to break a tie, I leave it in their capable hands. When they are ready, we will unveil what we will look like and where we would like to go.

Craig Coston had a vision and made it real. This forum is populated with some of the most generous and kind people I know. You all have done wondrous things for people who needed your support and really made a difference in some people's lives. I appreciate Craig for having a dream and all of the hard work, sweat and angst that went into bringing it to life. I pledged to him that the forum will live on and grow and continue to do good things...That we will do.

My hope for the future is that we will continue to share this wonderful adventure in our lives and keep fishing and posting. Sharing the stories of your fly fishing lives lets the rest of us go along for the ride and live vicariously.

I put this at the bottom of every post:

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday." John Wayne

I think there's something there for all of us. I know I have to remind myself now and again.

I am looking forward to a long relationship with all of you. Until we meet around a campfire or on the stream...

Jim
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Re: Three For One.....

Postby fflutterffly » July 27th, 2012, 3:37 pm

More! Give me more! I love these kind of post. Fishing and friends, both active and remembered. I've got to get up there and fish with you...especially to see that vest in action.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby lucfish » July 27th, 2012, 3:52 pm

Nice picts./story Jim. Well said.
lucfish

Postby WanderingBlues » July 27th, 2012, 3:53 pm

All you have to do is share a stretch of water with Jim to know the excitement and wonderment of flyfishing. Proud to call you a friend.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby flybob » July 27th, 2012, 4:08 pm

Jim, whatever you need, just let me know, I will tell you if I can honestly help out!

$$$$ will not be and issue!

Thanks!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Fishfreak911 » July 27th, 2012, 4:27 pm

Jim That was a great post. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I will continue to be a huge advocate for FFA and bring in more members every chance I get. FFA, like you said, has a very generous and kind group of guys. I am happy Andre led me here a few years back.

Nice fish too!
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby Sasha » July 27th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Great post Jim
Sasha

Postby darrin terry » July 27th, 2012, 4:55 pm

Well written Jim, as always. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby DrCreek » July 27th, 2012, 5:24 pm

It still fits. :rockon: Great thread.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby ldr » July 27th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Great story, Jim. Thanks for sharing and for taking on this new challenge. You came up with the right answer to the FFA problem.
"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra
ldr

Postby tomsakai » July 27th, 2012, 5:41 pm

"We both move at a slower pace...:

You don't realize I'm always waiting (discretely) for you to catch up. :bananadance:
tomsakai

Postby Josh lopez 82 » July 27th, 2012, 6:09 pm

Great report Jim thanks!
Josh lopez 82

Postby Rob909 » July 27th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Great read Jim.

Bob Banfield was certainly a fixture in the Inland Empire news.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Rob
Rob909

Postby beachbum » July 27th, 2012, 6:44 pm

Nicely written, Jim. Bob Banfield was somebody I grew up watching. A bit of Socal history. Good account of your fishing adventures with Tom. As for the salt...it must have been pretty nice sitting in the cool Pacific water, especially compared to your normal "warmer" habitat. Good post!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Papasequoia » July 27th, 2012, 7:08 pm

The only thing that would make this thread better is a picture of you in Ariel's, um, vest. :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing