REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Lanyard Question

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Lanyard Question

Postby tomsakai » July 16th, 2012, 9:35 am

Thinking about switching to a lanyard for local fishing or short trips (like getting away for a few hours on vacation when the wife is still sleeping). Does anyone have recommendations on specific brands or what to look for? Thanks.
tomsakai

Lanyard Question

Postby Rasputinj » July 16th, 2012, 10:08 am

I use the Dr. slick one and I like it. It came loaded with a fly box, holder for floatant, reels for hemostats and nippers. I use it every 3rd time I fish. I go back and forth between vest, lanyard, waist pack depending on how long and where I am fishing.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Re: Lanyard Question

Postby planettrout » July 16th, 2012, 10:25 am

Tomsaki,

I like these...I believe I picked it up at MFRC ,in Ennis, a number of years ago...

http://www.mslanyards.com/index.htm

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShoppin ... esult.aspx

PT/TB :rockon:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Flatsix » July 16th, 2012, 4:07 pm

Tom, check out the Fishpond San Juan chestpack. You can put more stuff in these, they're light, they've got a flap that drops out and holds your small fly box chest high while you tie flies on. There are a couple of hooks to hold other things and they are really lightweight. I carry 2 styles of weights, 3 types of indicator, 2 types of floatant, flybox, leaders, 3 tippets, mosquito repellent, whistle, hemos, bandana, people repellent, cliff bars. It all fits in the pack.

I had 2 different lanyards and once I got the chestpack would not go back to a lanyard.
Flatsix

Postby Pete » July 16th, 2012, 5:59 pm

Western Visions Lanyards made by our own Copperdropper (Gary). Best looking and functional lanyards on the market, bar none. Made by a fly fisherman for fly fisherman.

http://www.westernvisionslanyards.com/

Funny how we all differ, I doubt if I ever go back to my chest pack or vest again after wearing Gary's lanyard. I found with my vest or chest pack I hauled way too much useless "stuff". Although there is a time and place for any of the three (lanyard, chest pack & vest). You can bet if I wear a vest again the lanyard will be on me also.

Pete
Pete

Postby darrin terry » July 16th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Pete wrote:Western Visions Lanyards made by our own Copperdropper (Gary). Best looking and functional lanyards on the market, bar none. Made by a fly fisherman for fly fisherman.

http://www.westernvisionslanyards.com/

Funny how we all differ, I doubt if I ever go back to my chest pack or vest again after wearing Gary's lanyard. I found with my vest or chest pack I hauled way too much useless "stuff". Although there is a time and place for any of the three (lanyard, chest pack & vest). You can bet if I wear a vest again the lanyard will be on me also.

Pete

Sooooo, what you're saying is that with a vest, you carry too much "stuff", but now, having accepted the benefit of the lanyard and carrying less "stuff", when you find a need for a vest and the more "stuff" it can carry, you will carry another level of more "stuff" by using a lanyard as well? :lol: I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying Pete.

Thanks for chiming in Pete. I was trying to recall Gary's website earlier and was not able to. I hoped you would see this and pony up with a link.

I do have a lanyard, which after owning for almost 5 years, have never once used. I did start using a small BM Sports chest pouch this season for tenkara fishing. I have begun to like it. One day I may have to try that lanyard out too.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby RSetina » July 16th, 2012, 8:39 pm

I bought an over the shoulder bag from Recycled Waders. I like it for a quick trip situation.

Recycled Waders

Nook Sack is the one I bought
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby gabe » July 17th, 2012, 3:14 pm

i made a few for dirt cheap. Visited Wally world and bought some lanyard for keys near the key chain/watch area. also found some sliding pinch thingys, dunno what they were called. Then I bought some snap swivels and craft beads. Thats pretty much all i needed. I tied in a small knot at the center holding a key ring to hold my license holder, slid on some beads to space out the snap swivels, and thats it. I attach my tippet caddy thingy, floatant, nippers, hemostats, and license on it. I don't use it too much because i don't learned its not very comfortable and is annoying when its bouncing around on my chest while hiking and boulder hopping.
now I clip my tippet dispenser to a belt loop, i attached my nippers to my hemostats with a small key ring - and just clamp the hemostats to a belt loop. The rest of my stuff are pocketed. I like less things dangling up top and less prone to snagging stuff while fishing or hiking.
gabe

Postby JohnQSmith » July 18th, 2012, 8:58 am

Why not fashion one of your own in the same manner that our beloved Dr Creek made for himself many years ago?
JohnQSmith

Postby fshflys » July 18th, 2012, 10:29 am

I too used one in the past but gave it up for the reason Gabe said, didn't like clanging noise when I walked. Nowadays I see some have a clip to attach to your shirt to keep that from happening. Now I just use Simms Guide Shirt, it has a loop to attact a tippet holder to, cords on zipper pulls to attach a hemostat to, 2 big zipper pockets for fly boxes + pockets in front of those. The one thing I wish they had on them would be a net loop on the back.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby flocktothewall » July 18th, 2012, 12:58 pm

Flatsix wrote: I had 2 different lanyards and once I got the chestpack would not go back to a lanyard.

I guess its a matter of personal preference, I had a vest, went to a chest pack, and appreciated how it made me think of what I wanted to pack, then from the chest pack to a lanyard with the chest pack as a sling for longer trips. I love the lanyard, I love the "naked" feeling it gives.

fshflys wrote:I too used one in the past but gave it up for the reason Gabe said, didn't like clanging noise when I walked. Nowadays I see some have a clip to attach to your shirt to keep that from happening.

Mine drove me nuts! It has a clip, but I always figured it was a license holder, when I was at the store that I bought it from, I saw on the tag, it said it was to clip it to your shirt to keep it from moving. Now that I do what it's intended to do, no more noise.

I appreciate the tippet holder on it, and I carry my fly box in a pocket. So great for summer fishing, float tubing, and short trips. I can't remember who makes mine, but it has the tippet holder. They don't seem that tough to make.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby Rob909 » July 18th, 2012, 5:01 pm

Tom,

I have a May Fly lanyard and I like it a lot.

I too have gone from vest, to waste pack, and now to lanyard.

I wear a fishing shirt with pockets and that's where all of my extras go (fly boxes, tippet, floatant, etc.)

And I wear a day pack for all my other stuff....water, lunch, jacket, etc.

It works for me.

Rob
Rob909

Postby planettrout » July 19th, 2012, 7:03 am

Hey Tom,

Check these out...Hmmmm

http://www.leatherandcanvas.com/html/lanyard.html

PT/TB :idea:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby tomsakai » July 19th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Thanks all for your help. I think I'm going to be penurious (cheap) and buy the Dr. Slick locally. I called Marriott's and they have several in stock. The other alternatives all look good but my cheapness is showing! Need it to get ready for a road trip with the wife and daughter. Hoping to get a few hours fishing in along the way to Missouri, although I had "promised" my wife that I wouldn't be taking any fly gear.
tomsakai

Postby Fishfreak911 » July 19th, 2012, 4:12 pm

I have to chime in and double down with Gary's (Copperdropper's) Western Vision Lanyardshttp://www.westernvisionslanyards.com/. I have one and love it. Gary used beautiful blue stones to match what I told him was my favorite color. They are custom made to order, and are made to last forever. Way better quality than I gave seen in the stores. I'm a little biased, but I like to keep my bucks here in the good ol' US of A. (Not necessarily saying they are all made out of the country BTW)

G<><
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing