REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Kern Campground Questions?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Kern Campground Questions?

Postby WanderingBlues » July 6th, 2012, 7:31 pm

Anyone have experience with Camp 3, Hospital Flats, or any of the others above Kernville? Thinking of taking the pop-up on an excursion. Thanks in advance.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Kern Campground Questions?

Postby Wildman » July 6th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Curtis-If those are the free ones....forget about it. I've stayed at Camp James and Fairview (?) and I liked James the best. Those are my only experiences. They are all crammed in too tight for my taste but that seems to be the case up there.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby stanbery » July 6th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Curtis
Camp 3 nice pool right in camp as well as down stream, Hospital Flats can be fun boulder hopping from the far side of the river. they are both nice, Camp James is the nices for camping and could be good for fishing.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Rob909 » July 7th, 2012, 8:01 am

Curtis,

Many of us have stayed at MRA (Mountain River Adventures) in the past for the SSFFC Rendevous. It's not cheap, but I think that keeps the riff-raff out. It also has showers and toilets and it seems to be kept pretty clean. There's not much shade but during the day you're not in camp that much anyway. And it's not too far out of town if you need supplies.

I've also stayed at Goldledge which was acceptable....nothing spectacular. Fairview and Limestone seem to be pretty popular choices further upriver.

As Jon said, there is decent fishing along Camp 3 and it seems to have more shaded campsites as well.

I just don't think I would go the dispersed camping route up there. Stay in a true campground.

Rob
Rob909

Postby WanderingBlues » July 7th, 2012, 8:28 am

Rob,

I've stayed at MRA and it's very nice. If my wife tags along, I may end up doing that as she appreciates a clean bathroom and hot shower.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Return to General Fly Fishing