REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Because you have $$$ to Spend...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Because you have $$$ to Spend...

Postby WanderingBlues » July 2nd, 2012, 12:34 pm

For all the blue liners and creekers.... Sage is slowing things down a bit. This rod will make you the best fly caster ever! You'll have groupies and your own twitter following. You'll never have to buy another drink. And, when you do do drink beer, it will be Dos Equis.

Or, you could just stay in a Holiday Inn Express....

Here's the link. It's actually a nice looking rod. But the price is shock and awe.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/blog/06/2012/new-circa-fly-rod/
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Because you have $$$ to Spend...

Postby briansII » July 2nd, 2012, 1:09 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:Here's the link. It's actually a nice looking rod. But the price is shock and awe.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/blog/06/2012/new-circa-fly-rod/

Me too! I'm shocked they are not asking $800+ Don't they understand that every fly fisher wants a more expensive rod to come out each year. :doh: :doh:

I bet it's a very nice rod. If it brings a smile to your face, it's worth it.

......or send me the money and I tell you some funny jokes. :bananadance:

briansII
briansII

Postby dray » July 2nd, 2012, 4:09 pm

Ouch on the $$$!

The guy in the video is living the dream designing rods for Sage though.
dray

Postby Jimbo Roberts » July 2nd, 2012, 4:38 pm

Yeap, this has been floating around in various flyfishing circles.
It's at the top end of the market and I will definitely want to cast this one before ordering. Still I am always interested in 2,3,& 4wts for small stream fishing I do alot in the Rockies. I like my old Light Line and SLT rods for that kind of bushwacking for smaller Trout, so this one will have to be mighty good to sway me to a purchase.

That being said I still wish someone would come out with a 6wt, under 8 feet (7'-7'9") that will load with short casts and still carry larger flys for Bass fishing in our Texas Hill Country Rivers. Some of my favorite Bass fishing is in the Cypress Tunnels on the upper Guadalupe. I've tried many rods like Sage Perch and Smallmouth rods (built a smallmouth rod but it really is not very good at 20'), I have a TFO finesse 5wt (but it's still just a bit too light for leadeyed Crayfish I toss). Really the only thing close is old Fenwick Fiberglass rods but they are just too soft for me.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby KRoberts1 » July 2nd, 2012, 5:10 pm

Jimbo,

Have a look at Steffan Bros fiberglass rods. I think they can fill your need at that length. THey are a pleassure to cast. Medium action, great for 40' and in. And Mark will work with you to design what you're looking for. I have an 8' 3/4 wt that I love. I've handled the 5/6 in the 8'6" length and it Handled some bugs up to size 4 fairly well. All his rods are designed to accommodate several line weights.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby Pete » July 3rd, 2012, 10:44 am

What a slower action rod for dry fly fishermen? :o What will they think of next? :doh: Every year the industry comes out with the next best thing? One, Z-axis, VXP, VPS, RPL...... and now the Circa. Gotta love marketing, push fast action, higher modulus rods and then bam totally mess with everybody's minds. Come out a tout a slower action rod. What's next in Sage's line? Oh.... I know how about Bamboo or Fiberglass? Bet that's never been done. ;) :D

Ditto what Keith says about Steffen Bros. I am building a series of 6 Steffen Bros., for a customer, and everyone of them casts like a dream. Matter of fact blank 3 should be waiting for me when I get home tonight. :bananadance:

All said tongue in cheek, except for the Steffen Bros. comment. I am dead serious about the quality fishing experience with those blanks.

Pete
Pete

Postby Waterborne » July 3rd, 2012, 5:50 pm

Sage is working on releasing a Tenkara-style rod called "Hashi".

By utilizing Konnetic technology, it's going to revolutionize the feel and accuracy of dapping. It will be available in 000 weight for streamer fishing for siamese fighting fish to 14 weight for dapping bonito flakes to Alaskan halibut.

MSRP is $1,400. It comes with a floating titanium rod tube, a glass vial filled with nori seasoning, and lifetime warranty. For the passionate fly fisher and available only at your authorized Sage dealer.
Waterborne

Postby planettrout » July 3rd, 2012, 5:58 pm

I think I'll stick (pun intended) with my old Winston 7'6",4wt. fiberglass...SF era...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby fly addict » July 3rd, 2012, 8:55 pm

planettrout wrote:I think I'll stick (pun intended) with my old Winston 7'6",4wt. fiberglass...SF era...

PT/TB

I was thinking the same,only with my Winston pre IM6 8' 3wt. Maybe Sage has gotten over the faster is better fad and is making nice fishing rods again.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby rkfiske » July 3rd, 2012, 10:30 pm

Waterborne wrote:Sage is working on releasing a Tenkara-style rod called "Hashi".

By utilizing Konnetic technology, it's going to revolutionize the feel and accuracy of dapping. It will be available in 000 weight for streamer fishing for siamese fighting fish to 14 weight for dapping bonito flakes to Alaskan halibut.

MSRP is $1,400. It comes with a floating titanium rod tube, a glass vial filled with nori seasoning, and lifetime warranty. For the passionate fly fisher and available only at your authorized Sage dealer.

I thoroughly got a kick out of your usage of "hashi" :lol:
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby darrin terry » July 3rd, 2012, 11:59 pm

Waterborne wrote:Sage is working on releasing a Tenkara-style rod called "Hashi".

No thanks! I'll stick with my Tenkara USA rods when it come to tenkara fishing. BTW, some people seem to think that use of the word "dapping" in regards to tenkara fishing makes for fightin' words.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby RSetina » July 4th, 2012, 4:50 am

Darrin Terry wrote:

No thanks! I'll stick with my Tenkara USA rods when it come to tenkara fishing. BTW, some people seem to think that use of the word "dapping" in regards to tenkara fishing makes for fightin' words.

I agree Darrin. Can't stand that word either. It's not just a word used referring to Tenkara. I watched people dap their western rods too. I couldn't understand why they needed all that line to cast a few feet.

Back on subject though, we bought the Orvis Helio rods some time ago and I do have to say the Helios did improve Sherry's casting. I do believe there is something to the tech that goes into a rod but I'd never pay that much for a rod again. I'd pay Mark for lessons instead.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby fly addict » July 4th, 2012, 7:05 am

RSetina wrote:
Darrin Terry wrote:

I agree Darrin. Can't stand that word either. It's not just a word used referring to Tenkara. I watched people dap their western rods too. I couldn't understand why they needed all that line to cast a few feet.

Back on subject though, we bought the Orvis Helio rods some time ago and I do have to say the Helios did improve Sherry's casting. I do believe there is something to the tech that goes into a rod but I'd never pay that much for a rod again. I'd pay Mark for lessons instead.

Ric,
I'll teach for cold beer and burgers!
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Waterborne » July 4th, 2012, 9:16 am

My intention wasn't to denigrate Tenkara. I realize dapping is a popular misconception about Tenkara.

Frankly, there's nothing wrong with dapping. I use it when the conditions call for it.

Currently, a very popular form of dapping subsurface is called Czech or Polish nymphing which I think is highly effective. There's also bobber fishing (strike indicator) that I like to do under the guise of getting a longer drift. Using nymphs is nothing more than bait fishing, but I hardly use dries. So, there's no reason to get insulted over dapping. It's all about trying to fool fish which a lot of people consider a pastime for deadbeats, anyway. :mrgreen:
Waterborne

Postby darrin terry » July 4th, 2012, 9:28 am

I don't take it as denigrating. Personally, I consider dapping as just another tool to use. If the situation calls for it, then I dap, whether I am using a western fly rod or a tenkara fly rod. When it comes to fly fishing, I consider myself a generalist as far as methods are concerned.

Asa far as the new Sage rod goes, I think it sounds like a great rod — which I will never own. If I want another slow action rod, I will build/buy another glass rod, not buy a graphite rod designed to fish like one.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing