REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

2 lost fly boxes- Kern R above Hospital Flat

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Postby WadeK » June 25th, 2012, 12:42 pm

My son and I each lost a fly box yesterday (Sunday 6/24). We think we both lost them when we took unintended swims on opposite sides of the river, but we're unsure if that was the exact time we lost them. 1 is about 1/2-3/4 full of nymphs and the other is <1/2 full of a hodge-podge. If anyone finds them I can describe them in detail.
Also since I can't seem to get to use my account on the Kern River board, could someone repost or link this over there? Please!

Tight lines,
Wade

PS we got battered and bruised in this stretch, but couldn't hook anything even though we did get a few takes.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Re: 2 lost fly boxes- Kern R above Hospital Flat

Postby RSetina » June 25th, 2012, 11:47 pm

I'll repost this for you. Hope it helps you get them back.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Rasputinj » June 26th, 2012, 12:12 am

I was in that area today did not see any boxes. I picked up trash there, but only found trash and a couple of trout. I had good luck on deeper pools with weight and 2 nymphs. I fell myself chasing down a fish. The Kern can be a hard place to fish. When I am not doing well there I try work a lot of water. Good luck, I lost a fly box last year, it really sucks.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby WadeK » June 26th, 2012, 8:15 am

Thank you, Gentlemen.
Yes it hurts. The nymph box is/was my fullest box and pretty much held all of my nymphs smaller than #8s, 200+ I think. Fortunately most were homebrews that I can replace with better given a little time. I'll keep hoping and tying.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby RichardCullip » June 26th, 2012, 8:33 am

I'm sorry for your loss.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby KRoberts1 » June 26th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Put your name and phone number in your fly boxes. I've had three returned to me and my uncle had had one returned. Lost one onthe EW late one fall and had a deer hunter find it and returned it.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby 87TT » June 26th, 2012, 9:11 pm

good idea! :)
87TT

Postby hip » June 26th, 2012, 11:26 pm

KRoberts1 wrote:Put your name and phone number in your fly boxes. I've had three returned to me and my uncle had had one returned. Lost one onthe EW late one fall and had a deer hunter find it and returned it.

keith

Great idea !
I accidently dropped mine on the kern too. Luckily it was a smaller spin off box and not the mother lode I sometimes carry.

It was pretty uncanny the funky riffle I was fishing was making it really hard to get a drift down the middle where I wanted to be with my fly.

As soon as I dropped my box it drifted right down the middle till it was out of sight. :x
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl.
Ernest Hemingway

hip

Return to General Fly Fishing