REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Weapons in the San Bernardino Nat'l Forest

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Weapons in the San Bernardino Nat'l Forest

Postby RubiKinda » December 8th, 2008, 10:52 am

Shane, I fully disagree but respect your position on the guns. Thank you for not approaching the matter like many anti-gunners do. But I have one question for you: Do you ride bareback because a condom makes you weak and not feel free?

To all the other guys: I had my CCW revoked from Orange County Sheriff this year for no reason. But do I still carry? ;)

And back to the Doc's question:
I wouldn't go in there un-armed. In my opinion, it is irresponsible. If I were in your shoes, I would pack the revolver in a plastic ziploc and into my pack, definately not open carried and used as a last resort.
RubiKinda

Postby flybob » December 8th, 2008, 11:56 am

Doc, the short answer to your question is YES.

Here is some info in plain English.

You may carry a properly registered handgun within any of the S. Cal National Forest Boundaries.
It may be loaded, but it must be properly holstered and in plain sight!

Now, if you decided to shoot it, you better know what you are doing!
And, you have to be careful on HOW you get it into those boundaries, you really need to study your boundaries lines!
There are several areas that are considered PRIVATE Property, in which case the local county laws can apply.

In transiting your firearm, you must make sure that the ammo and the weapon are separated by some distance, i.e. trunk for the gun and ammo in the back seat.
Using the glove box for either, although legal, is considered a no-no, just one of those unspoken rules, and there are many.
The best way is to have everything in a locked case in the trunk, at no time may the weapon be loaded! Even in a locked case in the trunk!
And if you ever get pulled over, you must let the officer know what and where everything is, if you do not, and he sees or finds it, you can be is some serious *.
The bottom line is, legal or not, it is always up to the discretion of the officer, and he is always going to take the conservative approach, he cannot be chastised for impounding your gun even if you were well within your rights! That's just the way it is in the big BLUE State!

IMHO, although I have been an avid shooter since the age of six, and have seen the laws change many times, unless I am going to the range, I just don't move my guns out of the house anymore, just not worth it.
I believe in the buddy system, and will not go into the forest alone, I know that really cramps the quiet time, but that is the way they learned me in the Scouts.

Guns scare the crap out of me, but I respect them and am very adept at using them, I also reload my own ammunition and have developed a few custom formulations/configurations for those "Special Occasions".

Be Safe, be Sane,
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby flybob » December 8th, 2008, 12:01 pm

RubiKinda wrote:
To all the other guys: I had my CCW revoked from Orange County Sheriff this year for no reason. But do I still carry? ;)

Chris, you really don't know why? Haven't you been following the news?
It was all a knee-jerk reaction to the Mike Corona issue, everything that was done on his watch is being dismantled by the new Sheriff, what's her name!

A lot of the CCW permits have been revoked as well as all the reserve Officer badges that he handed out.

Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Benny » December 8th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Just a little info so you don't get POPPED ;) while transporting your firearms....

HANDGUNS
California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES
Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code 12276 or 12276.1 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1.

REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS
California Penal Code section 12285(c)(7) requires that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and in a locked container when transported.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

Benny

Postby flybob » December 8th, 2008, 12:23 pm

Thanks for the clarification Benny!

Bob
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby RubiKinda » December 8th, 2008, 1:05 pm

Chris, you really don't know why? Haven't you been following the news?

I meant no reason on MY part!
RubiKinda

Postby Bernard » December 8th, 2008, 7:59 pm

I have little authority with this thread's topic but will chime in from two random angles:

I know someone who was unarmed but perhaps "threatening" because he wore fatigues etc. He was confronted by armed men ( guns drawn ) in the SBs. What may have saved his life was the fact that no one could believe that he was alone. I don't know much else but he was outnumbered and there may have been others not visible. This of course is a human encounter not a rabid lion etc.

Second and maybe to add some twisted levity to the thread, I stumbled upon this crazy thread:
http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=22539. Seems like good fly gear and handguns might serve you well in the virtual trading post.

B.
Bernard

Postby Sasha » December 8th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Here are a couple of useful site for all you California gun owners. There is a lot of info on both sites I used them a lot when I lived in CA.

http://www.calgunlaws.com/

http://www.calguns.net/
Sasha

Postby csimcox » December 14th, 2008, 9:10 pm

As far as snakes go, I think a nice long walking stick is going to fare better for you than a gun.
http://www.chadsimcox.com Photography and Video portfolio
http://grainfarmer.tumblr.com/ Grain Farmer - tumblr page featuring photography, art and design from around the world
csimcox

Postby thtsarumr » December 14th, 2008, 9:52 pm

Some of you know how I roll in the woods, but its the same way at work too. I'm the type of person who refuses to be preyed upon by man nor beast. If its gonna come, It better come hard.

Mike, as for the slithery muthas, rocks are cheaper than bullets.

Blu
Image There's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken sh*!.... Well that little white speck, is chicken sh*! too.
thtsarumr

Postby Sasha » December 15th, 2008, 6:40 pm

thtsarumr wrote:Some of you know how I roll in the woods, but its the same way at work too. I'm the type of person who refuses to be preyed upon by man nor beast. If its gonna come, It better come hard.

Mike, as for the slithery muthas, rocks are cheaper than bullets.

Blu

Nothing wrong with carrying as it is one of our rights :D
Sasha

Postby Nav » December 16th, 2008, 9:31 am

Mike, after your shoot out with the pot grower , make sure and destroy the rifling in the gun barrel. And just as a point of interest, if you ever ride the ferry to Catalina, when you are about 1/3 of the way across the channel it is 3000 ft deep
Nav

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing