REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Boot Recommendations $80-$100

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Boot Recommendations $80-$100

Postby John Harper » May 20th, 2012, 10:03 am

Okay, no more Big 5 specials, want to try some more upscale hiking boots this time. I do some backpacking (ultralight) and a lot of dayhiking. Anyone have some recommendations?

John
John Harper

Re: Boot Recommendations $80-$100

Postby anacrime » May 20th, 2012, 10:35 am

Are you set on boots? Most ultralight guys use trail runners for the weight savings.

REI is a good place for shoes because you can return em if they don't work out for you. I have a hard time finding shoes that are durable enough for the things we do in the creeks and their return policy works out well.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby John Harper » May 20th, 2012, 11:27 am

Not set on boots, some good trail shoes should be fine too.

John
John Harper

Postby RichardCullip » May 20th, 2012, 12:47 pm

I started using light trail runners for my backpacking last year and and have been enjoying the extremely light Inov8 Roclite 295's trail runners. I went with this shoe mainly because of the sticky rubber soles and found that they do indeed stick to rocks (both wet and dry) quite nicely. I first used them on a trip last Spring up the East fork of the San Gabriels. We must have crossed the stream nearly 20 times in 6-7 miles of hiking and it was fun just to walk thru the stream without stopping to change shoes or worry about getting leather boots wet. They have a mesh top that drains fast and they don't seem to retain water so they dried off shortly after exiting the stream. My feet never felt wet except when I was actually staning in the water.

I've found my backpacking shoe of choice and I'll keep using this shoe until I can't get them anymore.

John - now that we made the move down to Poway I'm almost your neighrbor. The Inov8 shoes are a bit tricky to find a good fit. Most of their models run narrow but the Roclite series is built around a wider, more comfortable last. Don't know what size shoe/boot you wear but if you ever want to try a size 8.5 or 9 Inov8 Roclite 295's trail runner, drop me a note. You can give mine a try before you buy.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby atomicfly » May 21st, 2012, 3:21 am

if you're open to shoes, check out the Teva Riva eVent shoes at REI. you'll find them under the shoes category. i just bought my second pair since i loved the first so much. very comfortable for me from the first time i put them on. i use them daily as my all-terrain shoes for work plus i've used them on day hikes many times. they have low tops so ankle support isn't there for carrying heavy loads.

eric
fresno, ca.
atomicfly

Postby Trootfisher » May 21st, 2012, 3:09 pm

I've settled on Garmont as my go-to brand of boot.

They fit my feet the best, and make a very durable boot, including lightweight hikers.
I day-hiked whitney with a 2-week old pair of lightweight boots and had no problems as they just seem to fit
my feet perfectly. I still have those boots plus a low top lightweight hiker that I use the most.

Comfortable and durable, so there's my recommendation.

they are pricey, and slightly above your budget as a rule, but deals can be found. I got a $160 pair for $50 at a REI used gear sale (they were a return item) and another $100 pair for $45 through Sierra Trading Post.

But, you should definitely try on a couple different brands to see what fits your feet the best, including boots above your price range as you can usually find a deal out there somewhere.
Trootfisher

Postby FlyinFish » May 22nd, 2012, 10:49 am

Check out the REI sale:
http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500006&s ... 3AFootwear^search%2CFootwear+Sale+and+Clearance

If you want waterproof, here is a great pair for the price:
http://www.rei.com/product/757555/merre ... boots-mens

What I usually do is buy NON-waterproof hiking boots and then use those to wet wade and as my wading boots. But anacrime is right... my old Merrel Moabs got torn up within about 1.5 years. Granted wet wading in the locals, walking up and down main street and spending almost no time on a trail probably isn't what the shoe is designed for, but I expected a bit more out of them. The soles are perfectly fine, just the stitching has come apart in places.

The reason I go with these is for when I do use them to hike to a spot. They're also cheaper than wading boots.

REI also has a 20% off one full priced item.
FlyinFish

Return to General Fly Fishing