REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Watch Out

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Watch Out

Postby dray » May 15th, 2012, 7:05 pm

My buddy was out on a morning hike with his two young daughters and their dog over the weekend. As they got to the trailhead he took the dog off the leash. A short time later the dog was heard barking up ahead and as they approached, my friend saw a rattlesnake strike and connect with the dog. He quickly rushed the dog back to the car and to the ER, where they administered several vials of the anti venom. Long story short, the dog never recovered and the cost was very expensive, with the anti venom going for just over $800 a vial.

I know everyone knows it's that time of the year, just a reminder.
dray

Re: Watch Out

Postby darrin terry » May 15th, 2012, 7:11 pm

That's sad. I can't say I'm surprised as I've heard this tale before in years past. Still, thanks for the reminder.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby WanderingBlues » May 15th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Sad story. And, yep, they are out in numbers already.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby 87TT » May 15th, 2012, 9:35 pm

My Lab gets her rattlesnake vacinations and has had the aversion class. I have not had the need to "test" it yet. I have seen her jump back like she was stung from some holes after sniffing them. The other day we were hiking out from fishing a local creek and I saw the unmistakable movement of a snake in the grass in front of me. As the snake (I never saw it so not sure what kind) wiggled away, I looked around for Shawna and she was stopped about ten feet behind me and wouldn't continue even after I checked the grass with my rod. The only way she would go was wide around the spot. I highly reccomend the vacination and if you can find a reputable aversion class. I understand the vacination won't completely protect the dog but will give you time to get to a vet. The late Patrick Calaghan did her aversion class and he was a master.
87TT

Postby Swindle » May 15th, 2012, 11:32 pm

Carried my lab pup about 400-500 yards through the creek the other day to avoid the rattlers after seeing one (3-4ft long dark brown skin) not far off the creek in the boulder fields. My pup isn't going up there anymore. Sad to hear about your friend's loss. I'm sorry for him.
Swindle

Postby Trootfisher » May 15th, 2012, 11:33 pm

I've come across a couple baby rattlers with my dog already.
This is supposedly going to be a big year for baby rattlers, who can't control their venom release.

Definitely get the rattlesnake vaccine for your dog.
Trootfisher

Postby BrookfieldAngler » May 16th, 2012, 5:27 am

Definitely one thing that I am not envious of here in Chicago! I have only run across one rattler - a timber rattle snake - and that was in extreme southern in Illinois.
BrookfieldAngler

Postby Flatsix » May 16th, 2012, 6:10 am

Sorry to hear about your friends dog, that really sucks. I didn't realize that rattlesnake bites were so deadly.

Sad to lose a pet like that.
Flatsix

Postby flybob » May 16th, 2012, 6:44 am

Sad story to be sure, our pets our like our children! :(

Yes it was a warm winter, and they have already been out for quite a while!

I never take my dog off lead, she is a terrier, I will never see her again!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby duckdog » May 16th, 2012, 6:58 am

Sorry about your dog. Did the snake get a main artery ? Bummer that the kids had to see that. Like others have said, a snake avoidance course with follow ups will help dogs stay out of trouble ( most of the time) and the vaccine will buy you time and cut down on the amount of anti-venom needed. Except in the case of a mojave green, you pretty much have no shot with that little bugger.
A real heart breaker ,I'm sorry.
Mike
duckdog

Postby clee » May 16th, 2012, 8:51 am

Sad post.

Like many have said vaccinations and avoidance class are smart insurance if venturing in the wild here in SoCal. Patrick Calaghan (RIP) was definitately the foremost aurhority here in the California. It sad that he went the way he went. He did say that just one avoidance class is usually not enough. Your dog will need to go at least couple more times before in really sinks in.

With Pat no longer with us I had to look for another trainer. I did find one and although some of his training methods are contrary to what Pat told me, I used him anyhow (no real choice in the matter). I've yet to run into a rattler with a dog in the field, even though we send a lot of time in the high deserts, so I'm not sure how well it really sinked in with him.

Be safe my friends.
clee

Return to General Fly Fishing