REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Could the ANF and SBNF be next?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Could the ANF and SBNF be next?

Postby flybob » March 19th, 2012, 1:55 pm

No more Adventure Pass possible?

I seem to remember another post on this, but it seems to be happening in OC!

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/area ... orest.html
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: Could the ANF and SBNF be next?

Postby fflutterffly » March 19th, 2012, 2:13 pm

MPO is that the fee is a good thing. It generates revenue and helps support the land, regardless how little is given to restoration. Admin. is the deepest pocket for the lands. Without the support of these people we MIGHT NOT have the resources that we now enjoy. I don't want to get into a whole explanation but that's how I feel. I gladly pay the fee.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby flybob » March 19th, 2012, 2:18 pm

fflutterffly wrote:MPO is that the fee is a good thing. It generates revenue and helps support the land, regardless how little is given to restoration. Admin. is the deepest pocket for the lands. Without the support of these people we MIGHT NOT have the resources that we now enjoy. I don't want to get into a whole explanation but that's how I feel. I gladly pay the fee.

Did you read the article? It is not about weather is should be there or not, it is already gone in some places and the trend is that it will continue!

FWIW, I agree with you!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby fly addict » March 19th, 2012, 5:20 pm

I remember when the Adventure Pass first came out there were things that the forest Service had to provide in order to require users to have a pass. Here are the amenities the forest service had to provide in order to charge you to park.
The six required amenities are: picnic table, trash receptacle, toilet, interpretive signing or display, parking, and security.
Most areas had none of these items yet the forest service would write you a nice ticket if you were parked there. This was just another way our government separated us with empty promises from our money. I’m glad the judge ruled the way he did, it was a rip-off. Nobody would have put up with this sort of thing if this was a private company doing it. The money was supposed to fund the improvements required in our forest, but like most things our government does,most of it was spent somewhere else.
Mark
PS,
Bob,
It's not weather, its whether!!! ;) :lol:
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby rkfiske » March 19th, 2012, 6:28 pm

I'm pretty conflicted about it. I think the main issue is that I have no clue where those fees really are going, especially as someone who lives down the street from the new buildings at the Angeles Forest Supervisor's new chateau. Did I fund that project? I have no clue.

I'd like the fees if they were used to strictly fund a few things that I think are incredibly important: Trail maintenance, parking security and enforcement of laws (proper fire making, trash disposal, etc). Since I doubt that I'll ever see my fees going where I want them to, maybe it's a good thing I may not have to pay anymore.

I would rather donate all the fee money I spend every year on the adventure pass to help fund the salary of some game wardens! :D
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby flybob » March 19th, 2012, 7:15 pm

fly addict wrote:Bob,
It's not weather, its whether!!! ;) :lol:

Arrrgghhhh, publickly called out on bad contecks or sintax!

At least it was spelled correctly! :lol:

You know, I really should do a better job of checking before hitting submit, I agree, old age is not and excuse for sloppiness. :oops:
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby 87TT » March 19th, 2012, 8:52 pm

I think the pass is a waste. They are real proud of the bear proof trash cans they placed on the bike path up here. I have been up here 33 years and never knew we had a problem. Some are across the street from the elementry school. Some others are across the street from their high priced campground. Which by the way has no bear proof trash containers. They even placed two along the lake shore that were thirty feet out in the water when the lake filled up. :lol: All the Forest service around here has ever done is try to limit their work by restricting my access to OUR forest. Their latest thing is piling large rocks to block roads that we have used for years to access places we like to hike and hunt. Anybody here found an access road with a new locked gate on it lately? If you haven't, you don't get out enough. I thought the forest belonged to the people not some forest service pencil pusher. :gun:
87TT

Postby Jim T » March 20th, 2012, 11:02 am

It would surprise me if they remove the fee requirement from the East and West Fork parking areas. I don't recall if they have interpretive signs, but they have everything else if you define security as having someone drive thru several times a day, if only to hand out tickets. Not sure how this would apply to those parked along the road when the parking lot is full.

Jim T
Jim T

Return to General Fly Fishing