REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Sage Vantage combo

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Sage Vantage combo

Postby Troutinator » March 7th, 2012, 2:45 pm

My family of three probably has about 10 fly rods, from a 2 wt up to a 10 wt, 1/2 of them built by either my wife or I. However, none of them are on the "high end" of rods. In other words, we own Pac Bays, G-Loomis, Redington and a hand-me-down Orvis. Our anniversary is next week (19 years) and I would dearly love to give her a Sage 5wt. However, the costs of those rods are a little over my budget. I have been looking at the Sage Vantage combo here at the Islamorado Bass Pro Shop in the Florida Keys and I really like it. However, all they had in stock was the 8 wt. Well, this is salt water fishing. The fly shop guy ordered me the 5 wt and said it should be in the shop there in the next couple of days. Does anybody own or have any experience with this rod? I understand it is at the lower end of Sages, but trust me, when my wife opens up her gift and sees the name, "Sage" on the rod, I'll be the best husband in the word. 8-) She'll think I spent a small fortune on her, and that's really cool. I could have bought a Sage blank, but two problems exist. A) I'm here in Key West and just can't build one here, and B) I can build a fly rod, I didn't say I was that great at it. I'm not about to make a less than perfect rod out of a Sage blank. So, I know I'm still the new guy here, but I'm hoping I can get a few opinions on the Sage Vantage.
Troutinator

Re: Sage Vantage combo

Postby darrin terry » March 7th, 2012, 2:51 pm

No experience with that line of rods Scott, but I must say this…no test fishing the rod in the meantime. Just because you're stuck there in FLA does not mean you get to test it out. :lol:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Bernard » March 7th, 2012, 3:27 pm

One of the preferred products carried at Yosemite Rivers in Oakhurst last summer. I give it a thumbs up.
These combos are good values and perform very well. Also, SAGE is good with customer service should anything happen to it.
B.
Bernard

Postby darrin terry » March 7th, 2012, 3:49 pm

Bernard, this is the series that replaced the Launch line, no? I liked the Launch series and still own the two I bought (4 & 6 wts). I've a friend with an 8 wt Launch and he seems to think well of it. If they are in any way an improved version, then I would expect your comments to hold true and be what I'd expect.

I own three Sage rods and have liked all of them for whatever that's worth.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Bernard » March 7th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:Bernard, this is the series that replaced the Launch line, no? I liked the Launch series and still own the two I bought (4 & 6 wts). I've a friend with an 8 wt Launch and he seems to think well of it. If they are in any way an improved version, then I would expect your comments to hold true and be what I'd expect.

I think you are correct although I believe the Launch and Vantage rods actually differ but not by much.
I will add that I have also been impressed with the Launch series too. I have seen them used by anglers of all skill levels successfully. I am not a huge brand advocate type guy but do feel that either line is good.
B
Bernard

Postby Troutinator » March 7th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Bernard wrote:
Darrin Terry wrote:Bernard, this is the series that replaced the Launch line, no? I liked the Launch series and still own the two I bought (4 & 6 wts). I've a friend with an 8 wt Launch and he seems to think well of it. If they are in any way an improved version, then I would expect your comments to hold true and be what I'd expect.

I think you are correct although I believe the Launch and Vantage rods actually differ but not by much.
I will add that I have also been impressed with the Launch series too. I have seen them used by anglers of all skill levels successfully. I am not a huge brand advocate type guy but do feel that either line is good.
B

I researched online and found out the Launch model wasn't hugely popular and the Vantage came out to replace the Launch, to great reviews. I don't always believe what I read online, but I will accept your thoughts. Darrin, I promise I will NOT practice with the rod before I give it to my wife. I'm trying to plan a weekend getaway next weekend, but how do I do it without it involving fishing? Tough, huh? I mean, I give her the new rod so she should want to try it out right away, right? Just thinking out loud.
Troutinator

Postby garypullings » March 8th, 2012, 7:36 am

Troutinator wrote:
Bernard wrote:

B

I researched online and found out the Launch model wasn't hugely popular and the Vantage came out to replace the Launch, to great reviews. I don't always believe what I read online, but I will accept your thoughts. Darrin, I promise I will NOT practice with the rod before I give it to my wife. I'm trying to plan a weekend getaway next weekend, but how do I do it without it involving fishing? Tough, huh? I mean, I give her the new rod so she should want to try it out right away, right? Just thinking out loud.

Can I call Denise and say " I know something you don't know?"

:bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :rockon: :rockon: :booty: :booty: :booty:
garypullings

Postby Artin » March 8th, 2012, 8:10 am

My definition of a high end rod is one that gets the fly to the fish!

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby Troutinator » March 8th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Should I kill you now, Gary? Or should I just wait until your birthday when you're fast asleep? :twisted: I hope to have it to her by Tuesday as we're now, officially, leaving Key West on Monday vice next Saturday morning.
Troutinator

Postby garypullings » March 9th, 2012, 9:15 am

Amy isn't able to go fishing this weekend due to her research paper is due, But we are going over to your house for Dinner on Sunday. I should bring my sage rod and ask her how she likes it. I think that would be a good idea. :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty:
garypullings

Postby Troutinator » March 10th, 2012, 7:15 am

garypullings wrote:Amy isn't able to go fishing this weekend due to her research paper is due, But we are going over to your house for Dinner on Sunday. I should bring my sage rod and ask her how she likes it. I think that would be a good idea. :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty:

I know you wouldn't do that, Gary, would you? Enjoy dinner, without me. Sure, rub it in. BTW, I picked up her Sage last night. It came in to the store yesterday and had to drive 1 1/2 hours back up to World Wide Sportsman in Islamorada to get it. Definitely worth the trip. It's sweet. The gentleman already rigged it up for me with line.
Troutinator

Postby garypullings » March 10th, 2012, 11:56 am

that was a long drive. Any way I won't tel her. Waiting for your return.
garypullings

Return to General Fly Fishing