REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Sierra Nets Prepares for the Fly Fishing Show, Pleasanton

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Sierra Nets Prepares for the Fly Fishing Show, Pleasanton

Postby Fishfreak911 » February 21st, 2012, 4:00 am

Hello FF peeps. This is a blog about my preparations for exhibiting Sierra Nets at my first show-The Fly Fishing Show in Pleasanton, Ca. on Feb. 24-26, 2012. I will be leaving this Thursday morning and driving up to the Bay Area with my best friend, and Sierra Net owner, who will be manning the booth with me Friday-Sunday. It's about a 7 hour drive from the Disneyland area.

The building of the display has been quite rewarding. I love the process of figuring things out almost as much as the end result. My biggest challenge was how to display the nets where the figure will shine through like it would streamside. I settled on using shepard’s hooks (used for gardening) to cradle the nets. The biggest challenge was how to make it adjustable for large and small nets alike. I wanted this, but had nothing to begin with:
I came up with a pretty neat little solution. I used some cherry scrap and dadoed out half a channel on each half to accommodate the ½” square steel shepard’s hook.
There were many steps and plenty of jigs to create all of the facets on each of the 5 blocks.
Here, I have a block mocked up on a modified shepard’s hook. We cut them in two places, ground down the tips, and dipped them three times into liquid plastic to protect the nets.
Then, I glued them all up, being careful to align the channels for smooth sliding later on.
I then notched them, predrilled them for screws, placed a metal threaded insert on the side (for locking them in place.) Note the one on the right has a piece of the shepard’s hook scrap locked inside it.

Here you can see how they were mounted to the “hitchin’ post” with 3 screws.
So my next challenge was how, if at all, was to get the net handles up and off of resting on the “hitchin’ post.”
I settled on using wood dowels. I glued black felt (The single red one is my 1st prototype which my wife PROMPTLY put the kibosh to!) on the top portion which the net handles will rest on.
I created a little jig to drill 5 quarter inch holes directly in front of each hook.
This picture shows the stand-off mounts for the 3.5x5.5” museum-like information cards I created for each net. The cards were printed on regular paper and glued to picture matting for strength. Each net has a name, much like a sculpture would have. The cards have the name and a little story about the woods, or how I built it.
The tips of the little wood blocks (Next to each black T) have Velcro on them, and every card has mating Velrco on its back. This makes all nets and their cards interchangeable, QUICKLY.
Here, you see the cards mounted for the first time. I like the look!
The track halogen lighting doing its thing.
This is a video picture frame that I built a makeshift custom mount for. I simply wanted it to swivel, but NOT fall off if hit. It will display looping pics of net in process.
The custom digital picture frame mount.
It’s nothing more than some L brackets I cut up and bolted to a hinge, and to the Keyholes in the back of the frame.
This pic is demonstrating how I can take a digital logo and carve and inlay it into a net.
This is the final Setup! I am very pleased with everything. I can assemble this in 20 minutes.
This is a display stand I came up with to place on a small table at the front of the 10x10’ booth to draw people in, hopefully. It can hold a net of any size, and again, the little card stand I made, has Velcro on it so the cards can be moved around with its respective net. This is a purpleheart net I built for an injured US soldier.

The card holder is Carolina Cherry Burl.
That’s all folks. I hope you enjoyed following the progress. It has been challenging, but worth it. I’ll see you in Pleasanton!
Greg Madrigal
http://www.Sierra-nets.com
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Re: Sierra Nets Prepares for the Fly Fishing Show, Pleasanto

Postby stanbery » February 21st, 2012, 6:23 am

Greg

That will look great at the show.

Good luck!!

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby dray » February 21st, 2012, 6:25 am

Greg, looks very nice and professional, I like it a lot. Your nets are incredible, Good luck at the show. Darrin
dray

Postby fly addict » February 21st, 2012, 7:54 am

Greg,
Good job on the display, I think it looks great.
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby garypullings » February 21st, 2012, 7:57 am

That is a cool set up. Too bad I won't be able to attend the show. I will be in Bishop fishing with my wife.
garypullings

Postby darrin terry » February 21st, 2012, 8:52 am

Very cool display you've built, Greg. Good luck with the show.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby beachbum » February 21st, 2012, 9:03 am

That is a fantastic job of displaying your fine nets. Good luck at the show!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby DubL HauL » February 21st, 2012, 9:48 am

Wow and I mean WOW.

Outstanding Greg I wish you lots of success!

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby briansII » February 21st, 2012, 11:50 am

You have some mad talent going on. That is an awesome display. I'm hoping I can get away and see it in person this weekend.

Kudos to you for the A Purple Heart net.

briansII
briansII

Postby Fishfreak911 » February 21st, 2012, 12:08 pm

garypullings wrote:That is a cool set up. Too bad I won't be able to attend the show. I will be in Bishop fishing with my wife.

Oh bummer! :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the nice comments. I especially appreciate Fly Addicts comment as he is a great woodworker and has done plenty of show himself.

Brian, I hope to see you!
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby CopperDropper » February 21st, 2012, 10:24 pm

Greg -

It's awesome to see the final project in all its glory! A very creative design (we wouldn't expect any less) and outstanding craftsmanship. Lacey and I are looking forward to seeing it in person this Saturday.

Gary & Lacey
CopperDropper

Postby WadeK » February 22nd, 2012, 1:24 pm

Sorry I'm kinda late to the party. I looked this over and I have to say great work! Just like everything else I've seen from you it's beautiful.
I do however have 1 concern; the shepherds hooks dont seem to have any padding where they touch the nets. I see YOU have them only touching the netting, not the hoops. Others might not notice that nuance and end up scratching the finish on the hoops. I'd hate to see your fine workmanship get dinged up especially at the show.

Tight lines,
Wade
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby highflyer » February 22nd, 2012, 5:12 pm

Greg:

What a great display that will draw everyone in. I just have one comment....please consider security, just a little. You don't want the one on the table to walk away. Just a little security goes a long way.

Alan
highflyer

Return to General Fly Fishing