REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Inflatable Craft

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Inflatable Craft

Postby rkfiske » January 23rd, 2012, 10:59 am

So... what's your preference? Belly boat, pontoon, raft?

Anyone have experience with the Watermaster or Water Strider?

They seem so appealing just don't know how practical they are from a california fisherman's standpoint.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Re: Inflatable Craft

Postby beachbum » January 23rd, 2012, 11:11 am

They both look pretty intreresting!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Artin » January 23rd, 2012, 11:40 am

rkfiske wrote:They seem so appealing just don't know how practical they are from a california fisherman's standpoint.

Well, they look pretty good for floating the O, and some other similar sized streams., That one with the picture of the craft over the rock would do well on the K...

May be a good investment...

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby WadeK » January 23rd, 2012, 1:54 pm

You may want to look into something more pontoon style and see if you can try them out.

I have an older version of this one that has seen everything from small ponds to Big Daddy rapids on the Kern to the 1 mile bouy of Capitola on Monterey Bay. It has been used and abused and came back for more.

Warranty work within the then 5 year (now 10 year) warranty was fine. She was impaled by 1/4" rebar while drifting fast on an out going tide in the lower delta. There are 2 chambers in each pontoon, so I was safe even with the puncture, but it was a sad day. Sent pictures and a 1' by 1' square around the puncture at their request and 3 weeks later the new pontoon arrived on my door step.

http://www.oregonfishing.com/detail.aspx?ID=391

I didn't buy through this site but rather factory direct near Stockton, but they closed that shop and moved.

Tight lines,
Wade
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby Gila Trout » January 23rd, 2012, 4:23 pm

I really like my Super Fat Cat and Dave Scradden H3 float tube. They work great and gives me great access to fish in stillwater. I like to cast/strip and slowly kick around, can't do that when one is rowing. Those crafts seem nice but for that price I would rent or think about buying a boat. I have no desire to go white rafting in something like that or tube on moving water.

Lanny
Gila Trout

Postby briansII » January 23rd, 2012, 5:16 pm

rkfiske wrote:So... what's your preference? Belly boat, pontoon, raft?

They seem so appealing just don't know how practical they are from a california fisherman's standpoint.

Some folks love the Watermaster/strider style boats. There are certainly a versatile watercraft. I think it would be good for California, or just about any place out West. I looked at buying one, but chose a pontoon boat over them. http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/2012ca ... age15.html For my needs, I wanted to be able to standup, and mount a trolling motor. I do use a trolling motor, but have never used the standing platform. :?

Just like rods, one size does not fit all. You "need" more than one inflatable watercraft. ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby rkfiske » January 23rd, 2012, 5:40 pm

briansII wrote:
rkfiske wrote:So... what's your preference? Belly boat, pontoon, raft?

Some folks love the Watermaster/strider style boats. There are certainly a versatile watercraft. I think it would be good for California, or just about any place out West. I looked at buying one, but chose a pontoon boat over them. http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/2012ca ... age15.html For my needs, I wanted to be able to standup, and mount a trolling motor. I do use a trolling motor, but have never used the standing platform. :?

Just like rods, one size does not fit all. You "need" more than one inflatable watercraft. ;)

briansII

Yeah you can never find the one that 'does it all' it seems. I do have a float tube, but they're not the most efficient for someone like me who is short. My kicking angle is quite a bit different and I don't think I generate as much thrust as other guys.

Was just mostly wondering if anyone had experience with them, they seemed like pretty capable pieces of gear.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Gary C. » January 23rd, 2012, 6:08 pm

I recently had to look these Alpacka Rafts up after seeing the guy who does the "Motion" programs on the Live Well Network use them in several episodes. He couldn't say enough about them(probably so he could keep getting freebees). He used one to paddle around glaciers in Alaska, the merced in Yosemite, and a few other places. They are cheaper than the ones listed above but it still seems like a lot of money.

http://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cfm
Gary C.

Postby RiverRat » January 24th, 2012, 8:54 am

Call David's shop. I'm pretty sure he owns, or used to, a WaterMaster and can give some good advice.

shane
RiverRat

Postby WadeK » January 24th, 2012, 9:02 am

The thing I like about pontoon boats like mine is their versatility.
I use my fins for slow trolling and positioning for the perfect presentation. I can go faster than a tube kicking, unfortunately I'm also more effected by the wind.
I can row faster/easier than a drift boat or a traditonal raft and handle nastier rapids than the drift boat, although not as nasty as a traditional raft.
A 3/4 Hp outboard will get it going scary-fast. A 40# thrust electric will push it fast/far enough for anybody.
I sit higher than a tube or a raft, about as high as a drift boat. They didn't have the standing platforms when I got mine but I will be getting 1 this year.

The biggest downside is the weight. I used to be able to put it on my shoulders and walk up to 1/2 a mile, but I'm not that young anymore.
Anything over 100 yards is Vicodin city now.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby Jim T » February 14th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Ryan,

I have a tube and a pontoon and each has it's place.

The tube for smaller to mid size lakes, especially if there is any hiking involved (Crowley, all the Mammoth Lakes, Pleasant Valley, Upper Otay, Kirman, Gregory, Jenks, Little Virginia, Elizabeth,Tejon, Laguna Niguel, etc.). Less set-up and wind resistance and easier all around.

The pontoon for rivers (Kern, Lower O, Kings, Stanislaus, American, Sac) and bigger lakes (Big Bear, Perris, Lower Otay) and saltwater (esp San Diego Bay) and windy places (Castaic Lagoon, Silverwood). More set-up but once I get on the water I'm generally glad I have it out there. I like the trolling motor when the wind comes up. Mine has a standing platform but I don't stand up on it much (catches a lot more wind) but it comes in handy for personal fluid management.

I would also love to have a raft as it would be perfect for the Lower Owens as well as the Kern. Could also be used on all lakes except Kirman. It would also work well for your vehicle or times when you're sharing a ride and don't have room for framed pontoons.

Check out the frameless pontoons, new Assault raft, and the hybrid Escape tube/toon at NFO:
http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/home.html
Not inexpensive but they all pack down small and travel well. The biggest difference with their raft compared to the WM/WS rafts is that is has some rocker which seems like it would help on lakes. You can also put a motor on it. They'll be at the Pasadena show. I have the Outlaw X5 U shaped framed pontoon and know folks with the Escape, Renegade, and Rampage so you can check them out on one of our outings.

Jim
Jim T

Postby NorcalBob » February 14th, 2012, 10:23 pm

I have the WaterStrider, and also a 'toon. Both are awesome. The nice thing about the Waterstrider is it's portabilty (it's easy to get it everywhere you want). I've even taken it up to Alaska (air travel is a cinch). I wouldn't trade my WaterStrider for any thing else, and would pick it over a 'toon or float tube in a heartbeat if I could only have one inflatable. It's a very versatile inflatable.
NorcalBob

Return to General Fly Fishing