REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

~ 24 Fly Tying Enthusiast ~ 17 Flies ~ 1 Fly Box ~

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: ~ 24 Fly Tying Enthusiast ~ 17 Flies ~ 1 Fly Box ~

Postby darrin terry » April 26th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Congrats GT! Of course you know that you'll be asked for the occasional fish caught with these flies be photo'd for all to see. :D

You will be fishing those for quite some time to come. Have fun!
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Benny » April 26th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Darrin, thanks for the comment. Glad the flies are still catching fish for you. And it's not me, it the guys on the the forum who make this work. Without participation from the members it wouldn't work.
Benny

Postby Papasequoia » April 26th, 2012, 2:23 pm

That's a nice box of flies! Congrats to Lanny. Great job, Benny.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby khuzhong » April 26th, 2012, 2:35 pm

That is such an awesome box of flies. Congrats Gila Trout! We need pictures asap :)
khuzhong

Postby Gila Trout » April 26th, 2012, 3:25 pm

This is unbelievible, this box is the prize of a life time. Again, Thank you so much to Benny and eveyone who paticiapted. I would like share my good fortune with my fellow fly fishers. If anyone from this form would like some flies please PM me your address and I would be happy to send you some bugs. If there is a certain pattern in the box you would like let me know. I think I will keep 6 flies from each tier and I would like to share the rest. There are more than enough to go around.

Thank you again,
Lanny
Gila Trout

Postby darrin terry » April 26th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Benny wrote:Darrin, thanks for the comment. Glad the flies are still catching fish for you. And it's not me, it the guys on the the forum who make this work. Without participation from the members it wouldn't work.

That is most certainly true Benny, and I greatly appreciate the flies sent me by so many on this board. I've seen these people step up to help others, unasked for, many times. Being on the receiving end of that generosity is something I am happily reminded of almost every time I am out fishing because that box is almost always used. It is certainly the most reached for fly box of the many that I own. I merely wished to express my thanks to you once again for starting that donation and for this little contest/drawing you've managed here. I know from personal experience what it is like to receive such a group of flies. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby RichardCullip » April 26th, 2012, 5:00 pm

Congrats, Lanny.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Eric1 » April 26th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Lanny congrats on winning the box. Benny thanks for hosting this swap. Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eric
Eric1

Postby Troutinator » April 26th, 2012, 5:20 pm

That is one incredibly awesome cool looking box o' flies. Everybody who contributed should be very proud. Congrats, Lanny and thanks, Benny, for putting this together.
Troutinator

Postby Stewmon » April 26th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Huge thanks Benny for all your effort. It was very cool to see the flies come in, patterns tied, and talent appreciated. And Lanny my man! Couldn’t go to a nicer guy... enjoy!

And to everyone who tied... you all did good! Nice stuff every one of them.

SM
Stewmon

Postby Benny » April 27th, 2012, 6:42 am

Very cool guys, definitely some very cool looking flies that will last any fly fisher a very very long time.
Benny

Postby tenandtwo » April 27th, 2012, 9:00 am

Hey Lanny you are gonna make new fishing buddies faster than a lotto winner makes new friends. Congrats! that is an awesome fly box. Take lots of photos of pierced lips.

Benny, great idea, thanks for setting it up and all the cool photos of the flies. I know a bunch of the views are mine as I would watch the new flies come in every few days. That was pretty cool, when is the next one?
tenandtwo

Postby rkfiske » April 27th, 2012, 9:17 am

Thanks again Benny! And congrats to Lanny! Your generosity is awesome, but I'm pretty sure we are all happy to have you keep them all. I say give some flies to new fly fishermen you encounter on the water, that would be paying it forward!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby WadeK » April 27th, 2012, 10:59 am

Rkfiske wrote: "I say give some flies to new fly fishermen you encounter on the water, that would be paying it forward!"

In line with that, while you may never meet a CFR lady, you might consider donating some flies to them. Someone told me they like to set each of the ladies up with a 1/2 full fly box with typically around 3-4 dozen flies, among lots of other stuff.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Re: Re: ~ 24 Fly Tying Enthusiast ~ 17 Flies ~ 1 Fly Box ~

Postby rkfiske » April 28th, 2012, 9:08 pm

WadeK wrote:Rkfiske wrote: "I say give some flies to new fly fishermen you encounter on the water, that would be paying it forward!"

In line with that, while you may never meet a CFR lady, you might consider donating some flies to them. Someone told me they like to set each of the ladies up with a 1/2 full fly box with typically around 3-4 dozen flies, among lots of other stuff.

Awesome idea!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing